Ethiopia

Leoreth

Blue Period
Working on the changed spawn dates of other civilisations had me thinking about Ethiopia. I think their spawn date is fine, but there are other things that bother me about this civilisation:
- their end game goes very late and kind of peters out with the third UHV, which isn't really historically accurate and does not come with sufficient challenges because of lacking colonisation in Africa
- the UP isn't very useful and thematically mostly related to the late game, not the core of most of Ethiopia's playing experience
- the Kingdom of Aksum is thematically most important but not represented by a leader

So far, I would like to try the following changes:

I think for leaders it would be great to add Ezana as a leader representing Aksum. Also maybe it makes more sense to have Menelik instead of Haile Selassie because he had a greater impact in shaping the modern Ethiopian Empire.

In terms of the UP, I would like something that represents early and medieval Ethiopia, and the best I can think of here is the Ethiopian Orthodox Church. I considered some effects and what I liked most would be "Cities of your state religion can trade with all other cities of your state religion". This would represent the connection they had to the Christian world in Europe and other Christian churches in the Muslim world, and would help them not being cut off from the rest of the world when the Arabs and Ottomans capture North Africa.

For the UHV, I think the second goal works very well both in providing an interesting and unique challenge and representing a historical facet of the kingdom. I don't think the first goal is anything special but it goes a good job of representing Ethiopia's role as an early Christian kingdom. I would like to have a third goal that is centered more in the Ethiopian middle ages or at least concludes before the historical collapse in the 16th century. By all accounts this goal should also relate to Orthodox Christianity. Here are some elements of the goal I could think of:
- build an Orthodox Cathedral
- build the Monolithic Church
- allow no Islam in [Upper Nile and East Africa]
- make sure Orthodoxy is present in more African cities than Islam
- spread Orthodoxy to X Catholic cities

The first two are kind of boring and too straightforward. There is no goal for Orthodox Cathedrals yet but there are already quite a lot of goals in that direction and with no competing goals to strive for it's not that challenging or complex. You research the tech and build the thing. I think the other later oriented around religion spread are more interesting because they allow various possible solutions, are less generic and imo reflect the role of Ethiopia as the African refuge of Orthodox Christianity well. The last goal reflects Orthodox contacts and missions to Western Europe at the time (by the way, interestingly, I found out that Ethiopian emissaries in Europe may have influenced Martin Luther's thoughts because many customs of Ethiopian Orthodoxy actually found their way into Lutheranism, and the Lutheran Church actually is in communion with the Ethiopian Orthodox Church). I guess some form or combination of the latter three goals would work well.

An Orthodox Cathedral or the wonder (or both) could still replace the first goal, but there still should be some aspect to it that necessitates and early adoption of Orthodoxy.

Lastly, I don't like how the AI behaves in the late Ethiopian game, including the fact that it tends not to collapse. A few thoughts on that:
- their stability/settler map should probably be more limited and not encourage expansion into the Horn of Africa and the Swahili coast
- maybe there should be independent city spawns in Somalia (e.g. Berbera or Mogadishu) to represent the Somali sultanates that were historical rivals to Ethiopia
- there definitely should be a wave of barbarian Oromo spawns to take out Ethiopia unless it is doing very well. This could combine with a UHV goal that (implicitly) requires you to survive until they occur.

Oh, lastly lastly, to compensate for the lost UP and throw some bones to modern Ethiopia, I guess they can receive Mehal Sefari as a second UU to replace Riflemen with some extra hill strength.

Last edited:
I just noticed I confused what the first and second UHV goals are, corrected.

By the way, I never included a call to action in this OP but if you have further/different ideas for Ethiopia, let me know.

I think these are good ideas! I especially like making the UP allow trade with all cities of their state religion. In addition to keeping them connected with Europe and the Middle East, it could allow for a representation of both the St. Thomas Christian communities in India and the trade links between East Africa and India (if the player manages to spread orthodox to some coastal Indian cities). Although how accurate a representation that would be I don't know.

Thinking about the UP and some of your UHV ideas, I wonder if it's possible to use missionaries on independent cities? I can't remember if that's normally allowed. If not, could that be added to the UP as well?

That's a good point, maybe missionaries should be allowed to enter independent territory in general.

Yeah, I guess I always found the third UHV a bit tedious. Really, if you get comfortable as Ethiopia it's just a matter of building up your army over centuries for the inevitable colonization by European powers and/or strategically settling a select few cities to block European settlements. Then it's a matter of waiting... It's neither challenging, exciting or particularly historical.

Barring addition of Swahili as a rival, there's little else that can make Ethiopia more exciting in the Islamic Era under the current UP/UHV. Even if the Swahili were added they would just be another rival kingdom adding to Ethiopian isolation. That is to say; your proposed UP is very good at reducing Ethiopia's isolation which is in many ways unhistorical. [Edited for clarity: their isolation is unhistorical, not your UP suggestion]

My only concern is that this new proposal appears to almost completely sacrifice playing a modern Ethiopia... but to be honest the current arrangement doesn't do much for modern Ethiopia either. I'm not sure if there is any way to alleviate that concern but I'll think on it.

Also, I like the idea of missionaries being able to operate in independent territory. It makes sense provided you are at peace with the independents.

As far as the UHVs go, I'd say 4,5 are the best. 4 is my favourite. 3 would end up being a conquest goal if Islam spreads to East African indies though it could make good use of the inquisitor which is probably an underutilised unit. And as you said 1,2 are a bit boring but perhaps build an orthodox cathedral could be a part of a UHV. What is the historical basis for 5 though? "Spreading orthodoxy to X Catholic cities"

I always think it would be interesting to see a connection between Ethiopia and the Caribbean in the form of Pan-African movement/Rastafari but again that's a very late game goal and difficult to represent. Also, in reality Ethiopia/Haile Selassie was more the passive figurehead of this movement and not an active participant or leader.

Last edited:
Considering the historical importance of Alexandria to the Ethiopian Orthodox Church—they approved their metropolitans and so on, and when the Muslim rulers of Egypt prohibited these appointments it could be a major issue—I am going to suggest that a conquest of Egypt be worked into UHV 3. I know, it’s a boring conquest goal, but I feel that it fits the traditional “historically unaccomplished” goal most UHV3s involve.

My only concern is that this new proposal appears to almost completely sacrifice playing a modern Ethiopia... but to be honest the current arrangement doesn't do much for modern Ethiopia either. I'm not sure if there is any way to alleviate that concern but I'll think on it.
Considering the huge discontinuity between medieval and modern Ethiopia I think that is alright. The most significant accomplishment of modern Ethiopia is putting the country back together under a significant authority. They are basically a respawn of Ethiopia.

As far as the UHVs go, I'd say 4,5 are the best. 4 is my favourite. 3 would end up being a conquest goal if Islam spreads to East African indies though it could make good use of the inquisitor which is probably an underutilised unit. And as you said 1,2 are a bit boring but perhaps build an orthodox cathedral could be a part of a UHV. What is the historical basis for 5 though? "Spreading orthodoxy to X Catholic cities"
It's mostly in reference to the presence of Ethiopian emissaries in Europe and the schism in general.

Considering the historical importance of Alexandria to the Ethiopian Orthodox Church—they approved their metropolitans and so on, and when the Muslim rulers of Egypt prohibited these appointments it could be a major issue—I am going to suggest that a conquest of Egypt be worked into UHV 3. I know, it’s a boring conquest goal, but I feel that it fits the traditional “historically unaccomplished” goal most UHV3s involve.
That's why I like goals that are about removing or outdoing Islam, conquering Egypt would help with that as a possible strategy without making it a hard requirement.

I tried Ethiopia quite a bit now. The addition of the Shotelai has been really impactful here, because it allows the creation of a somewhat capable military without going weird routes via catapults and elephants. I guess camel units are another route available now, although I didn't use them much. I also moved their spawn plot 1N so Aksum's default location has coastal access, this position seems to be more beneficial overall and Ethiopia should not have to found a Somali city to gain sea access. I also already implemented the discussed historical area changes, which feel fine now. In my first game I controlled Mogadishu, Himyar and Nubia and then collapsed when working my way up the Nile, which feels right.

With these changes, the incense goal becomes somewhat easier, and I tentatively moved its deadline to 400 AD. But it depends on how things work out with the Somali and Himyarite city spawns which I yet have to fine tune.

I also implemented the UP from above, which is nice to have but not very impactful (my game had a weak Rome and no Byzantium though). You are still encouraged to make Open Border treaties to get the years of peace income modifier.

At the moment I am playing test games to figure out what the later UHV goals should be. Currently I am looking into ways to fold the current Orthodoxy goal into a new one and then add the one with Orthodoxy vs. Islam.

Most Ethiopia changes are up now. I will give their leaderheads some attention later.

Gave things a try. Monarch/Normal, 3000BC start (obviously):
- UHV1 is as usual. Defence of the lowland city is easier because of new UU. (ETA: I settle capital on the coastal Cow, which reaches the desert Incense. The default plot normally reaches the lowland incense, so I settled a second city for that 1S. I get the Yemeni incense by settling on top of it rather than conquering Sana).
- UHV2. Is there some guarantee that Orthodox spreads to a Ethiopian city? I had no issues with converting but I could see this being frustratingly luck based. The GP requirement is reasonable. You could also add a requirement to build the Monolithic Church to this, if you wanted to make this goal difficult but still doable.
- UHV3. Definitely the most challenging part. My civ crashed just after 1300AD so I didn't fully complete this (ran the program with too much stuff), but I can see it being reasonable. At time of crash the count was 9:15 Orthodox:Islam. I can see with spreads to Mali and Congo and more cities the goal being feasible through a non war approach.

ETA2: UP is interesting. However, I was trading with Independent cities, including cities I imagine weren't Orthodox (i.e. cities in China proper). Is either outcome intended?

Last edited:
- UHV2. Is there some guarantee that Orthodox spreads to a Ethiopian city? I had no issues with converting but I could see this being frustratingly luck based. The GP requirement is reasonable. You could also add a requirement to build the Monolithic Church to this, if you wanted to make this goal difficult but still doable.

I think the new Great Prophet ability is intended to make this possible.

- if you have no state religion, Great Prophets can also spread the historical religion of their current region

I considered this, but I think you are encouraged to build it anyway since you are required to run so many priests. If there needs to be more of a challenge I'd rather increase the prophet requirement.

- UHV3. Definitely the most challenging part. My civ crashed just after 1300AD so I didn't fully complete this (ran the program with too much stuff), but I can see it being reasonable. At time of crash the count was 9:15 Orthodox:Islam. I can see with spreads to Mali and Congo and more cities the goal being feasible through a non war approach.
I am still considering the position of the Persecutor in the tech tree because right now it comes too late to be an option here, but there also needs to be something else in the Judiciary tech to make it worthwhile.

ETA2: UP is interesting. However, I was trading with Independent cities, including cities I imagine weren't Orthodox (i.e. cities in China proper). Is either outcome intended?
No, can you show me a save?

UHV2. Is there some guarantee that Orthodox spreads to a Ethiopian city? I had no issues with converting but I could see this being frustratingly luck based.

Right. I tried Emperor Epic and the Orthodoxy was founded already (320 BC). I even bribed Egyptians for open borders, but no luck in the 5 turns remaining. I then reloaded the same initial autosave and settled on coastal cow, got Orthodoxy the next turn. But that's Emperor, so it can be more luck based.
Otherwise it looks interesting and challenging.
Funny the Egyptians usually settle the city in my core so I get Men city with gold, ivory and incense in reach right after start.

Played through until the Chinese collapsed on a fresh game. This is from the turn after China collapsed (I had OB with them before). See the 810AD save for the bug.

Spoiler Screencap :

upload_2019-1-19_13-26-6.png

ETA: Cleared the UHV on the above save. Think it ended 17:15 w/o any war against the Islam state religion civs.

Spoiler End Score :

upload_2019-1-19_16-16-45.png

Attachments

• Zara Yaqob AD-0810 Turn 202.CivBeyondSwordSave
    657.8 KB · Views: 263
  • Zara Yaqob AD-1500 Turn 281.CivBeyondSwordSave
    1.1 MB · Views: 243
Last edited:
Tried another start and this time Orthodoxy was already founded in 400 BC. Ethiopia starts 290 BC so that is way after that 8 turns limit. But the UHV goal was marked as done :). Despite me clearly not having Orthodoxy.

In that save I couldn't build capital at the coastal cow tile because I moved a settler instead of building a city in turn 1 and Egyptian borders expanded again in turn 2. Well, that could be expected if their cities are so close.

I also noticed there is deadline 400 AD for the UHV1 but no turn number (like in all other UHVs for most of the civs: e.g. AD 1200, turn 278).

Attachments

• Emperor Zara Yaqob BC-0290 Turn 189 Orhodoxy already founded.CivBeyondSwordSave
    445.6 KB · Views: 123
The new Axum location is on a Coffee resource. I suggest moving it 1W. Moving it 1S (swapping the coffee and Axum) leads to 2 adjacent coffee resources, so I think 1W is better.

In that save I couldn't build capital at the coastal cow tile because I moved a settler instead of building a city in turn 1 and Egyptian borders expanded again in turn 2. Well, that could be expected if their cities are so close.
It should be possible to found your first city on enemy territory regardless.

I understand your reasons for introducing second UU for Ethiopia but it breaks uniformity of the overall game. Why some civs are allowed to have second UU and not others (who don't really need it)?

Last edited:
The epic and marathon speed text of the 2nd UHV are inconsistent with the normal speed text. The epic/marathon text says that the GP and Orthodox Cathedral must be in the same city. The normal text (and victory code) says that they do not have to be in the same city.

Top Bottom