Discussion in 'Civ4 - Graphics Modpacks' started by GeoModder, May 12, 2008.
I don't know, the patch change a lot of xml files, no?
Most of my work is done in Civ4PlotLSystem.xml and Civ4CityLSystem.xml. If neither of those files is listed in the changed stuff then the mod is save.
Those files seem to be unchanged. This is a great mod, please keep up the good work!
Well, today I *finally* started on the Arabian artstyle. It's a bit of a nuisance correcting the cityset shadows/positions but things are proceeding well sofar...
I have a couple of questions for you GeoModder;
1) I thought you already had an Arab artstyle in the last edition, are you making a new one or improving upon that one?
2) Are you going to use the native artstyle from Colonization for this edition?
3) This is sort of a request actually; is there a way you can make like generic huts or something. I guess what I am getting at is an artstyle that would fit for a Polynesian civ. Or is there an artstyle you would suggest I used?
Thanks for all of your hard work, its greatly appreciated.
1) I had a Middle East artstyle (Ganarts cityset). I renamed this one to the Crescent artstyle and it will be used by the Persians, Sumerians, Babylonians and the Ottomans. The new Arabian artstyle will be used by, guess who, Arabia.
This one is based on Chamaedrys' oriental cityset.
2) Yep. Half the work is already done. The Colonization tent cityset is thusfar linked to the first 2 or 3 era's for the Native American civ. Also the early era city facilities (library, forge,...) have native looking art now. The Iroquis cityset is linked for the latter era's. Still have to come up with some city facility art there like for instance the University. Haven't decided yet what to do with the natives from the Industrial era onwards. Any suggestions there?
3) Well, Chamaedrys' native cityset should fit the Polynesians quite well. At least, what I saw from pictures/sketches about Maori villages in the early colonization of New Zealand fits those well. The Marae (meeting houses) as we know them today for the Maori's are I think copied from the English colonists for the basic house structure.
Keep one thing in mind: I can't create stuff from scratch. I only work with what art is made available by others.
Mmm... looks like I was a bit premature on 3). At least for the latter era's. But for the first 2 era's this set from Chamaedrys should do. For the latter era's it might be possible to deform some of Firaxis' ancient cityset (make them lower and squatter in nifskope) and search a good texture artist to add the typical woodcutting of the Polynesian and retexture the walls/roofs to a Polynesian look.
Great news, Geo! I'm really awaiting your work!
Yeah I figured that since most of the buildings I've seen in the database. I was just wondering what you thought I should use or if there is something useable out there. Thanks for the suggestion though.
What do you think about doing an early/classical mongolian set with yurts and stuff?
Way ahead of you mate.
I had it in mind since I discovered that the Total Realism team managed to tinker a bit with the yurts that shipped with the warlords expansion. If my theory holds I have the possibility for 3 separate objects on which I can add the yurt from the Mongolion UB (it's a separate object from the fence). If I rotate those 4 objects so the same object is used say 2 or 3 times I can make a cityset that won't look too boring for an era or two.
Awesome, I can't wait to see the finished product.
I very much wish you luck in this endeavor. This one city set is among the most needed...
Wanted to share a cityset I've retextured quite a while ago - I think it looks a tad nicer now.
That's definitely an improvement. Thanks WH!
I'd really like to see some of the city art for the Mesoamerican/South American cities from colonization in this era. I think it would make for a good Classic-era set, somewhere between the current Ancient era set and the current Classic/Medieval era set.
Some of the larger stone buildings from the colonization set would even look good in the medieval/renaissance era.
Failing that - or actually, even better than that! - could you take a few minutes and tell us how to combine models from different nifs without the textures going all funny? I tried to set a few buildings in CityLSystem to use models from the Colonization meso-american set, and it worked, except that for whatever reason it decided to use the textures from the set that was already being used (an_meso or med_meso depending on era) and it looked awful. The same thing happened when I tried to get more of the ethnic meso buildings to hang around into the industrial/modern era and just have a few factories appearing, instead of using the european and meditteranean sets. Either the factories got weirdly textured with the meso textures, or the meso textures got weirdly shaded with industrial and modern textures, depending on ... something mysterious! I can't figure it out.
Today's good news is that I'll receive a new graphics card next Tuesday.
A so long time...
Seems like Sparkle (the producer of my nVidia card) isn't a company to sent repairs to.
FileFront purged the download. Does anyone have a mirror?
There are a number of mods outthere who have a version of Ethnic Citystyles included. Varietas Delectat and Wolfhanze's mod come to mind.
I'll upload an updated version once at the verly least the far east and middle east artstyles are redone.
Separate names with a comma.