Ethnic Diversity (Development Step: postponed to Civ7)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ethnic Diversity - making every civilization more unique

This work-in-progress 'overhaul' mod will aim to deliver a new level of individuality to Civilization VI - ensuring that the civilizations you take control of differ from one another.

At the heart of this project is the introduction of a living, breathing culture for every civilization, realised through unit and building models that bring out the look-and-feel of that civilization's culture. No longer will all European Warriors look the same!

To cement this further, the cast of around 55 civilizations will be supported by no less than 100+ unique units, a variety of new Districts, Buildings and Improvements, all faithfully represented to a high standard.

To support the greater variety of units, this mod will also introduce a small number of extra technologies, focused around the Classical and Medieval Eras.

Finally, with cultural accuracy and appropriateness at the centre of what this mod tries to achieve, we are also planning ambitious changes to the Religion and Wonders systems that the base-game offers. More detail to follow on these conceptual overhauls, but in simple terms, Buddhism will no longer be founded in Western Europe, nor will Stonehenge be built in Moscow.

We believe that this mod will fundamentally make each game, with a different civilization, a unique experience that requires new strategic choices to be successful, all against the backdrop of beautiful new 3D models that set your civilization apart from your rivals.

Current Development State June 2020: preparation for units completed, soon the preparation for buildings will start. then after that we will start to actually implement that prepared stuff to the game. This will be at the beginning of the next year. I also would like to announce, that me and @maconnolly will work together on this project :)

BTW: i (Shiro) am one of the authors of the Wildlife Mod on Steam (the other Author: @Deliverator ) and i am also the Author of the outdated Japanese medieval unit art mod :

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/japanese-medieval-unit-art.621852/

Last edited:
Reserved 1

Reserved 2

Reserved 3

Both ideas sound very interesting, though do you plan to make them available as two separate components? I mean, will it be possible to use "Ethnic Diversity" in regular game?
I understand that it is too early to ask, but I'm very curious about this project.
Anyway, best luck with your mod!

Both ideas sound very interesting, though do you plan to make them available as two separate components? I mean, will it be possible to use "Ethnic Diversity" in regular game?
I understand that it is too early to ask, but I'm very curious about this project.
Anyway, best luck with your mod!

And for your question, no both ideas will be in one project...but what i could do is release the Ethnic diversity models and textures here as assets, so that other modders could use them and make a standalone Ethnic Diversity mod. That’s actually a good idea

the unit roster and building roster is decided so far, except of the unique units and unique buildings. now I know what to create for the Ethnic Diversity idea.

When I say UU and UB, i mean new additional uniques for the civs, but decided are the roster for standard units and buildings, which will get unique Art too. Now the actual work can begin :) :) :)

I think in the next couple of days i can Show 1-2 Screenshots from Units with ethnic diversity, but this will be only Blender Screenshots, Nothing exciting so far. Just to make it clear that the mod is Not dead and i make Progress.

so this will be the look for the Mongol Archer and for the Korean Archer. Please Keep in mind that this two Units are early WIP. This is only Work-Step 1 of 4 for this two Units.

Mongol Archer early WIP :

MONGOLIA_ARCHER.png

Korean Archer early WIP :

KOREA_ARCHER.png

A bit off topic but, So, I can't find those wonder mods on steam anymore, what happened to them, did you take them down?

A bit off topic but, So, I can't find those wonder mods on steam anymore, what happened to them, did you take them down?

Yeah, I deleted them from Steam. But I will make new and better versions in the future, just don’t expect them anytime soon. I am too busy with Ethnic diversity and RL.

@ShiroToraRyu I must have missed an important part of the intended goal of this mod, or perhaps you're incomplete status and initial focus of reveals gives an incomplete picture, but everything specifically called out here seems very notably "East Asian" only. That doesn't seem very "diverse" to me...

@Patine the mod is in very early development stage and the two pictures only show a very early work in progress stage of only two civ variations for the archer...and yes, East Asian only, cause in June, when I posted the two pictures, I had only this work step 1 done for only three East Asian civs. Now I have this step done for 10 of the planned 38 civilizations. Hope this explains that. As I said, this mod will take me a lot of time to complete. Nothing exciting to show so far, sorry for that.

Hey all, so i Need your help, ladies and gentlemen. :) the current list for civs that will be available in the mod is 35 civs. I reduced the list from 38 to 35.
However, I have currently no idea what a unique unit I could choose for the following civs :
Spain, Germans, Assyria, Inca, Pawnee, Burma

Do any of you have suggestions for them ? Please don’t forget, the unique unit have to be either ancient or medieval. Thanks in advance

Hey all, so i Need your help, ladies and gentlemen. :) the current list for civs that will be available in the mod is 35 civs. I reduced the list from 38 to 35.
However, I have currently no idea what a unique unit I could choose for the following civs :
Spain, Germans, Assyria, Inca, Pawnee, Burma

Do any of you have suggestions for them ? Please don’t forget, the unique unit have to be either ancient or medieval. Thanks in advance
Huaminca or Chasqui Runner for Inca, come to mind.

@ShiroToraRyu now this is the mod that's missing from Civ 6 imo :). Are you still working on it?

For Spain I would suggest Scutarii or Jinetes

@ShiroToraRyu now this is the mod that's missing from Civ 6 imo :). Are you still working on it?

For Spain I would suggest Scutarii or Jinetes

Yep, i definitely still working on it! No Doubt. But don’t Expect a playable First Version anytime Soon, as this is a huge project, and only me working on it.

Thanks for the Suggestion for the UU of Spain. Any Kind of help is welcome :)

Cool! I wish I could help more, but I suck at modding. Looking forward to the mod, unit diversity and graphics really adds to the game's immersion.

For the Germans, I don't really know. Maybe a Gothic (or germanic) Warband for an unique swordsman, or the Landsknecht?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom