[R&F] Ethnic Governors for R&F Ideas and Suggestions

Xefjord

Prince
So I wanted to start a discussion on the idea of Ethnic Governors for Rise and Fall now that we know a bit more about them. If this is the wrong place to post or there is already a lot of discussion going on about it somewhere else please let me know.

I think me and many others would like to see Governors be more ethnically related to the Civilization you are playing. So there is two things I would like to discuss here: Icons and Names

The first point of discussion is related to Icons, what Icons should we use to represent governors? Should they be handpicked portraits for each governor? User drawn portraits in a Civ style for unique governors from that civilization? Or should they just be special symbols that are static for Civilizations and color coded to be recognizable?

The second point of discussion is leader names; I would actually like to start collecting potential governor names for each civilization that may be based off of real historical governors for that civilization (Or are historical folks from that country related to their field).

So what do you all think?

IMO they should have simply given great people the ability to be promoted governors.

Not sure if that will be possible in a mod.

I think the simplest solution would be to give each type of governor (i.e. Cardinal, Castellan, Educator) a similar symbol. Something like the Civ5 civilian symbol ( :c5citizen: ) would look good, then minor changes to the person on the inside to represent the type of governor, as well as a different color to make them easy to distinguish. Then every civ could be given a list of names for governors of each type (ex. Lu Buwei could be the steward governor for China), but with no aesthetic differences. That way, it's easy to make and won't be a pain for compatibility with mods. Since the symbols would be standardized you would always know what kind of governor is in the city but wouldn't be forced to stare at a smug cartoony face belonging to someone who isn't even remotely ethnically related to your civilization.

Last edited:
Depending on how much the interfaces can be modded I would propose:
*standard Governor's class icon on all UIs, and as fallback on Governor's screen
*ethnic portrait + small standard class icon if available, on Governor's screen
*ethnic portraits could be either fictional/generic, or tied to a historical figure that it is not a Great Person

Last edited:
Here are a few suggestions I have for Japan:

Diplomat: Ito Hirobumi
Steward: Uesugi Yosan
Cardinal: Kobo Daishi
Surveyor: Ino Tadataka
Educator: Sugawara no Michizane
Castellan: Torii Mototada

(EDIT: looks like the governor names are a bit misleading. It might be better to move Uesugi Yosan to Surveyor, as he was known as an exemplar of good domain administration while Ino Tadataka was an actual surveyor and cartographer. As for who would fit into Steward, Shimadzu Nariakira is a possibility)

I can't think of any ideas for Financier.

Last edited:
Top Bottom