Ethnically Diverse Units (4/16/06)

Oh, don't worry about a possible strict Japanese line of units. It's only a longbow, a samurai, a knight and a pikeman that are replaced. For the rest of the ages the main asian styles are more similar so it's merely a temporary sidetrack.

Thats awesome. Eventually you should make Junks for the Asian civs so they have Ships of their own instead of using European vessels. Speaking of European vessels a Galleass should also be made, as they were the warship of the middle ages(missing link between Trireme and Frigate). So much to do. Is that ship you previewed a Galleass?

FYI Do you plan on making the city graphics ethnically deverse?

Thats awesome. Eventually you should make Junks for the Asian civs so they have Ships of their own instead of using European vessels. Speaking of European vessels a Galleass should also be made, as they were the warship of the middle ages(missing link between Trireme and Frigate). So much to do. Is that ship you previewed a Galleass?

The EDU mod is not to add new unit classes, only providing different graphics for existing unit classes.

And as far as I know there already exist a caravel graphic with a junklike sail, and a heavy poly model which could pass for a sort of junk.

I suspect the ship of the line will only replace the galleon for some civs.
I could be wrong of course.

Ship of the line is actually simply going to be a different looking Frigate, for England, Spain and maybe France, to reflect their superior navies. It's not actually going to have different stats.

Sorry Sword_Of_Geddon but I'm going to stick with the "looks only" approach to this mod. Getting into different stats and trying to balance them and what not is just, well for one it's not as fun, and plus it's tons more of work which I just don't have time for. However, if you or anyone else want to take all those "new" units and make them actually new and unique then I have no problem with that. At the minimum it's just a change to the units file, and if you wanna change their names and pedia text it's only 3 more xml files. :) It will however remain as a patch/add-on to the mod and will not be included in the mod itself because I still believe there's a "market" for mods that don't change the gameplay.

As for diversifying the cities, yes and no. There are several considerations here. First of all, I don't want to reuse the warlords city sets because I just feel it'll be giving too much of Warlords art for free to people that didn't buy it. This means, that it'll have to be made, which brings me to the second point. I just don't have the time to create new city sets. The reason I included some of that stuff is because it was already done for me (I took it from another mod), all I needed to do were the XMLs. I will limit myself to only diversifying the Palaces (because I'd like to work on more structure modeling in general) but even that is going at a slow pace because of time constraints.

Having said that, if someone creates more city sets or palaces then I will include them, if they agree and as long as all I have to do is modify the XMLs. :)

Cheers

Ship of the line is actually simply going to be a different looking Frigate, for England, Spain and maybe France, to reflect their superior navies. It's not actually going to have different stats.

Sorry Sword_Of_Geddon but I'm going to stick with the "looks only" approach to this mod. Getting into different stats and trying to balance them and what not is just, well for one it's not as fun, and plus it's tons more of work which I just don't have time for. However, if you or anyone else want to take all those "new" units and make them actually new and unique then I have no problem with that. At the minimum it's just a change to the units file, and if you wanna change their names and pedia text it's only 3 more xml files. :) It will however remain as a patch/add-on to the mod and will not be included in the mod itself because I still believe there's a "market" for mods that don't change the gameplay.

As for diversifying the cities, yes and no. There are several considerations here. First of all, I don't want to reuse the warlords city sets because I just feel it'll be giving too much of Warlords art for free to people that didn't buy it. This means, that it'll have to be made, which brings me to the second point. I just don't have the time to create new city sets. The reason I included some of that stuff is because it was already done for me (I took it from another mod), all I needed to do were the XMLs. I will limit myself to only diversifying the Palaces (because I'd like to work on more structure modeling in general) but even that is going at a slow pace because of time constraints.

Having said that, if someone creates more city sets or palaces then I will include them, if they agree and as long as all I have to do is modify the XMLs. :)

Cheers

I mean use the Warlords city sets for the warlords version only.

I mean use the Warlords city sets for the warlords version only.

Those are of course automatically included. :)

Rabbit White, do you have objections I use your XML code for distinct cultural palaces as a base for further distinct XMLing on for instance national wonders? I would be more then happy to let you include it in the EDU mod.

Those are of course automatically included. :)

Rabbit White, do you have objections I use your XML code for distinct cultural palaces as a base for further distinct XMLing on for instance national wonders? I would be more then happy to let you include it in the EDU mod.
Of course not, in fact, it's not my code - I originally took it from ganart's Extended Mod.

Someone should make Mesoamerican city sets for the Incans and Aztecs. I made a set for Civ3 if you need inspiration White, thats if you make city graphics.

So White how much new stuff is planned for the next patch exactly?

Hello? :confused:

Why don't you try to persuade the creator of the middle-east cityset on a Mesoamerican cityset? :)

Top Bottom