1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Ethnically Diverse Units (4/16/06)

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Unit Graphics' started by Rabbit, White, Apr 16, 2006.

1. @Geo: Cham's has different city sets so together with the ones you have that should provide even more diversity.

And yep I forgot to assign caravels to civs and the african infantry to Mali (though that's only in the Warlords version). I'm gonna put out a patch later today fixing both of those things.

@Sword_Of_Geddon: I'm sorry, I never played MP so I wouldn't know anything about it. Are you playing the vanilla version of the mod? If you are, try deleting the first 3 variables (not lines) in the INI file. If that doesn't help, or you're playing Warlords version of the mod then I can only guess that there's still something wrong w/ the INI file. In which case just delete it and relunch the mod, it should be generated automatically and hopefully with the correct settings.

2. GeoModder

GeoModder Chieftain

Heh, the viking -and oriental cityset in the pics are from Cham. :lol:
    I simply XML'd them together in the Civ4CityLsystem -and Civ4PlotLSystem files.

3. Impaler[WrG]

Impaler[WrG] Civ4:Col UI programmer

Geo, ware did you get ahold of that Mausoleum of Mausuls, is it a hidden Firaxis building or did someone make it. Also the high poly building just to the right of the Colloseum and infront of Sevo's Artemis temple is it a custom building? All the others I have but if either of thouse is a custom can you send the file or a link to it, Thanks a bunch.

4. GeoModder

GeoModder Chieftain

Hi Impaler,
    The Mausoleum can be found in the Warlords building art folder, in the folder Halicarnassus.
    The high-poly building (I assume it's the white one with the red roof you mean) is a custom graphic made by Ganart iirc. If you either have a download of the Extended mod or an EDU version after 2.0, you already have it.
    If not, just tell me and I'll prepare a zipfile of it and attach in a post here.

5. Here is patch 2.62 that fixes the issues with African Infantry and the Caravels (the two new Caravels are now assigned to civilizations).

Attached Files:

6. Impaler[WrG]

Impaler[WrG] Civ4:Col UI programmer

Thanks Geo, now that you mention it that dose look like Gnart's work, I still have a copy of his mod too :goodjob:

7. Sword_Of_Geddon

Sword_Of_Geddon Mysterious Jungle Warrior

When you say INI file you mean the Warlords INI file and not the EDU Ini file right?

8. Depends on what version of the mod you're playing.

9. Sword_Of_Geddon

Sword_Of_Geddon Mysterious Jungle Warrior

Can't wait till you implement the city styles, alittle flavor goes along way. BTW Rabbit are you going to do something about the Knight for the Japanese and other far eastern civs?

10. snafusmith

snafusmith Unit Maker

Man, you've done it again. 'Nuf said.

11. agoodfella

agoodfella Chieftain

OK, so i'm the biggest tech idiot out there...

I placed the files into my Warlords -> MODS folder, loaded a game up... and then before I can even make my first move, I am a ingloriously declared DEFEATED...

What The Heck am i doing wrong boys???

12. Head Serf

Head Serf Chieftain

It won't work if you try to load a saved game because the new units all use different tags.

13. ollj

ollj Chieftain

Savegames are barely compartible from one modification to another if one uses units (or renames and duplicates units to add another type) that the other one does not have.

14. Haven't thought too much about it yet. My initial thoughts would be to put a Samurai on a horse, but that'll work only for Japanese. Idk, I guess I'll deal with it when I get there, in the meantime there are still a bunch of unit ideas I want to implement.

Thank you :)

@agoodfella: Yeah like Head Serf says, you can't load an existing game using a new version of the mod.

15. GeoModder

GeoModder Chieftain

There already exists such a unit. ;) Same with a Samurai longbow, pikeman -and great general.

Btw, managed to implement the Oriental, Meso-american -and Norse cityset from Cham, and debug it a bit (was especially necessary for the Meso-set).
    Interested in a copy of it?

16. Sure, send me a PM. I already implemented oriental and meso but into the vanilla version, and didn't do any serious debuggin.

17. Exel

Exel Chieftain

Have you considered applying the same "ethnic diversity" to modern mechanical units like tanks or aircraft? It'd be beyond cool to have Russia steamroll you with T-72s when the Americans come to play with the Abrams, and German Messerschmitts could turn and burn with the British Spitfires, etc. :groucho:

18. Grave

Grave 1 Goat = 400 Horses

I have an idea for EDU...

Maybe you (or somebody you know) could modify the SDK so that certain Civs will show different UnitMeshGroups?

Something like this, from CIV4UnitsInfos.xml... (see red code)

Code:
    <UnitMeshGroups>
    	<iGroupSize>1</iGroupSize>
    	<fMaxSpeed>2.25</fMaxSpeed>
    	<iMeleeWaveSize>1</iMeleeWaveSize>
    	<iRangedWaveSize>1</iRangedWaveSize>
    	<UnitMeshGroup>
    		<iRequired>1</iRequired>
    		<EarlyArtDefineTag>ART_DEF_UNIT_GALLEON</EarlyArtDefineTag>
    	</UnitMeshGroup>
    [COLOR="Red"]	<DiverseMeshGroup>
    		<CivilizationTypes>
    			<Type>CIVILIZATION_SPAIN</Type>
    			<Type>CIVILIZATION_PORTUGAL</Type>
    		</CivilizationTypes>
    		<DiverseArtDefineTag>ART_DEF_UNIT_SPANISH_GALLEON</DiverseArtDefineTag>
    	</DiverseMeshGroup>[/COLOR]
    </UnitMeshGroups>

That way it beats having 10x Galleons on the Civopedia, as well as the XML files. It could save people a lot of load time as well.

What do you think? :confused:

19. Aranor

Aranor Chieftain

That really does look like a great idea!:goodjob:

20. There's work being done on something like this but I haven't had time to really go into it myself and I'm not sure on its progress. So I can't tell when something like this will happen.