1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Ethnically Diverse Units (4/16/06)

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Unit Graphics' started by Rabbit, White, Apr 16, 2006.

1. GeoModder

GeoModder Chieftain

There's no easy way.

2. Hold The Onion

Hold The Onion Chieftain

thanks. I figured so. oh well. game is still much better thanks to this mod.

3. njohns99

njohns99 Chieftain

Any chance of ever making this work with Vista? I miss it already.

4. NikNaks

NikNaks Chieftain

I would have thought that if Civ4 is installed correctly then it would work anyway.

5. njohns99

njohns99 Chieftain

Errr, yes, it does work with Vista, but I tried playing a LAN game with my friend with the mod on, and it didn't work until we unloaded it. However, it could have also been something to do with his computer, too.

But we definitely need more units in this mod. It keeps the game interesting, visually.

6. I can't make sure it works in Vista because I don't have it, and have no plans to get it anytime soon. The other thing is I don't play MP games so don't test for that either. Of course, the mod technically is very simple so I can't imagine what could go wrong with MP games. If anyone knows of a possible reason why this mod might not work in MP I will certainly look into it and try to fix it.

Btw, njohns99, maybe it has to do with the python modifications. There's a small modification to the dawn of man screen in this mod, it's done in python, perhaps somehow that's screwing it up. Try removing the entire python directory in the mod's folder and see if it helps.

Edit: It's no excuse of course but currently Vista is far from ready for prime time and it's even worse for gaming - driver issues, resource hog, possible issues with backward compatibility of directx, so it might not be the mod or the computer itself but just vista.

7. njohns99

njohns99 Chieftain

Oh, I know, lol. I'm just disappointed I can't use EDU in multiplayer while I'm running Vista... I don't expect any solutions any time soon or anything, but if anyone else has had the same problems, post so I know it's not just me somehow. Maybe it's a cross compatibility thing? My friend was running EDU in XP. Oh well. As long as I can run it in single player I'm happy. This really is an awesome mod.

8. Doomed_UK

Doomed_UK Chieftain

It works for me - my machine is vista and all the others are XP

9. njohns99

njohns99 Chieftain

Hmmm...I wonder what I've done wrong, then...maybe I'll try to reinstall it.

10. Raggamuffin

Raggamuffin Chieftain

Sorry if this been mentioned, but there seems to be something missing with the early horse unit. In the game I only get the string, not the actual name of it. My bad? Otherwise excellent modification! I love it. =)

Edit: I don't know if it matters, but I played the game as the Egyptians and I'm using Warlords (with the correct install folder).

11. I changed the name "Horse Archer" to "Horseman" so that it accommodates the various early horse units that not all use bows, and it looks like you might be missing the units text file - check the xml/text folder.

12. The Navy Seal

The Navy Seal Chieftain

Could you get the coverd wagon as a seperate unit(dial-up)?

13. onedreamer

onedreamer Dragon

Hello,

strange bug: the Expansive trait does not get the 50% faster production of workers bonus. I don't understand why, since the mod doesn't touch the trait. Any ideas ?

edit: oh sorry I got it. The bonus is defined in the units file and not in the traits one. It's missing there.

14. Impaler[WrG]

Impaler[WrG] Civ4:Col UI programmer

Yes thats the result of poor design in the way Traits give Production Modifiers IMHO, the same thing would happen to Indian Workers if any of the Indian leaders was Expansive, the code should be UnitClass rather then UnitType based, fortunately this will be a non issue (with regards to artwork) with the new BtS system for EDU.

15. kitedark

kitedark Chieftain

hey guys i cant seem to get the 2.6 version to download.. whenever i click the download button it makes the "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" and then it lists some problems but none of them seem to be the reason and i downloaded the 2.8 one without any problems...

16. ohcrapitsnico

ohcrapitsnico Chieftain

Hey WR, since apparently BtS will include ethnic units will you continue this mod? I hope you do as the units are only ethnic up until the industrial ages and this would be a nice alternative. ;):)

17. GeoModder

GeoModder Chieftain

Chances are putting EDU's in BtS will be little more then putting the graphics in a correct folder structure... at least I hope it will be that easy.

18. I was able to start the download on both IE and FF without any problems, so try again maybe it was a temporary bug in the system.

I am still working on this mod. There will be an update in time for BtS.

19. bokaj

bokaj Chieftain

Everytime I move my first unit or place the city in the beginning of the game, it crashes. does anybody know the reason for that?

20. What version of the game do you have, and what version of the mod are you using?

If there's no mismatched versions then it sounds like you might be missing a resource. That is to say, maybe you're missing some unit, or an xml file. Double check that you installed everything correctly.