1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

EU fires shot in new Cold War

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by SeleucusNicator, May 18, 2004.

1. Voynich

Voynich Letter of Napoleon

Powerful political, economic, and military entities always distrust one another to at least some extent-not that that has to necessarily lead to a cold war or even perhaps hostility-. It is nothing new that allied states always wanted to make sure than have a "one up" advantage against their ally "just in case". Even if the Soviet Union had remained allied with the Nazi government in Germany you can't really think they would trust each other for very long. Even among the Axis there would have come a paranoid conflict stemming from fear that one side could potentionally "have a decisive advantage".

Thus this is not suprising. The comments are perhaps the one suprising thing. There really was no need to announce it in much more than a minor fashion without fanfare.

2. Enkidu Warrior

Enkidu Warrior Ultramagnetic

:lol: :rotfl: :lol:

3. test_specimen

test_specimen hope lost

:lol::lol:

4. Bobo the Ape

Bobo the Ape Chieftain

@stormbind

Relies how? Do you have solid statistics and evidence of the actual impact of all these European graduates on the US economy? I assume you do since you use the qualifier (sic) "heavilly". Of course one shouldn't use words one cannot spell. ;)

Of course the strength of America has been it's immigrants. That's the whole idea of America. Somebody in country X looks around and says "Wow, this place sucks.....I'd be better off in America". If you happen to be in country X then maybe you should improve that country and stop whining about America.

5. CurtSibling

CurtSibling ENEMY ACE™ SLeague Staff

Attacks on spelling are not the mark of a good argument-maker.

If I recall - It is in this case, an American's whines that began this thread.

6. stormbind

stormbind Retenta personam!

Too competitive in Europe, people are drawn away to a land where the general populace will litterally buy any old thing. No, seriously, the cost of living is much higher in Europe and the US plays on this with well known cookie jar accounting... we await the 2nd Great Depression :(

There are statistics that have led many accademics to refer to the scenario as "brain drain" but I don't have these figures or a url. Maybe Google will have something?

A man is entitled to a typo. Quit trolling ;)

7. Duddha

Duddha His Dudeness

every country in the world has a "brain drain" to the US. The reason for this is not the superiority of education in the world outside the US, but the superiority of higher education in the US.

8. Ossric

Ossric Hedonistic Ruler

nope, it has to do with $$$$

9. Duddha

Duddha His Dudeness

money plus the quality of higher education in the US

10. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

On what basis are American universities better or worse than (e.g.) European ones?

11. SolarKnight

SolarKnight Guardian of the Balance

Actually there is a book written called the educaton gap that says that the american education system produces people who are 4 years behind the british system, which is why we don't accept american degrees over here, there grasp of their subject area isn't good enough.

12. stormbind

British universities won't accept US students either. It's stated in the prospectus'; those students are required to complete an extra course to prepare them for the degree.

This can't really be considered "catch-up" per se, because it only prepares them to start a specific degree.

13. Voynich

Voynich Letter of Napoleon

The best universities in the world are generally said to be in the United States. The U.S. does not lack for educated people within its borders. Nevertheless well educated immigrants are of great benefit to it.

14. CurtSibling

Got figures to back up this claim of 'superior US education'...???

15. FredLC

FredLC A Lawyer as You Can See! Retired Moderator

Voynich

Indeed, but I have had friends that went to live in the US and said that the schooling they took (what was expected for people their age in the US) was almost unbelievably easy (except for history, that obviously has in US a focus way too different than that on Brazil).

Seens to me that the school in US has the capacity to form highly able and skilled individuals in masses, enough to create some of the best universities in the world... as long as the kids in it take the extra effort to actually learn (extra-curricular activities, debate teams, etc...). However, it will also will allow people to surf through with minimal knowledge when the person really isn't willing to walk the extra mile.

Regards :).

16. stormbind

It's not strictly $$$$.

It's cookie jar accounting which puts money (that doesn't exist) into circulation, and that debt is destined to cause a crash one day.

Also, the cost of living is lower in the US. Products and housing is lower, so the standard of living is higher: Imported goods in the US are cheaper than imported goods in the UK. It's clearly a political matter.

It's not just companies, the US government also endulges in cookie jar accounting. An example is using money that has been put asside for future military pensions, to pay for other things today. This is justified because when it comes time to pay those pentions, there will be new future funds to drain to cover the cost.

This continues in a spiral and the US debt becomes dependent on funds more distant into the future... until one day, the debt is recalled and the entire economy collapses.

The cookie jar concept is common not only in government but also in private business, so there is a huge amount of currency taken from the future to pay for things today.

Most people consider this absolutely ludicrous, because surely the debts will have to be repaid one day? But the people doing this don't need to worry - it's a problem for the next generation to solve... and they will do the same thing... :rolleyes:

17. CurtSibling

Better than Oxford University?

Who exactly says this?

Or is it a purely anecdotal statement?

18. JohnRM

JohnRM Don't make me destroy you

Damn, I did not see this coming...

I concur...

19. test_specimen

test_specimen hope lost

At least they have the best marketing for their Universities.

Anecdotal knowledge about US-universities: At my university it is a common thing, for students who have the money, to make the Micro-and Macroeconomic courses at the UCLA (University of California Los Angeles). However you have to achieve a degree of C or better to get it recognised around here. The people I know told me, that they took a trip to Vegas the weekend before the exam and basically had not opened the books until then, but still they all got a B (one got an A, IIRC).
    This might not be representative, and I don't know about the reputation of the UCLA.

On the other hand one of my classmates applied for Oxford and was not taken. He was the best of our class and really good in most areas, very intelligent.

20. funxus

funxus Orange Cycloptic Blob

I heard that this particular institution was partly funded by the US for a very long time, and not even our prime minister was aware of it. It all went through the our highest military staff. Can someone confirm this, or tell me I'm an idiot?

Don't have much else to say on topic though.:(