EU to endorse splitting Jerusalem?

Bei1052

Emperor
I didn't see a thread on this already.

Link

Opposition leader Tzipi Livni on Tuesday urged Sweden's foreign minister, Carl Bildt, to abandon an EU plan to issue an official call for the division of Jerusalem between Israel and the Palestinians.

"I wish to convey my deep concern regarding what appears to be an attempt to prejudge the outcome of issues reserved for permanent status negotiations," Livni, a former foreign minister, wrote to Bilt.

Livni sent the letter in response to Haaretz's report that EU foreign ministers are expected to call next week for Jerusalem to be divided, in order to serve as the capitals of both Israel and a future Palestinian state.

A draft documentauthored by Sweden, the current holder of the rotating EU presidency, implies that the EU would also recognize a unilateral Palestinian declaration of statehood.

The opposition leader added: "Assuming the recent media reports are accurate, I want to urge you, in your capacity as EU President and as Swedish Foreign Minister, to refrain from adopting any position on Jerusalem.

"Whatever the intention of the Council's conclusions, I believe that any attempt to dictate for either party the nature of the outcome on the status of Jerusalem, is not helpful and wrong."

Earlier Tuesday, the Foreign Ministry lashed out at the plan, saying such a move would harm the chances of renewing Middle East peace negotiations.

"The process being led by Sweden harms the European Union's ability to take part as a significant mediator in the political process between Israel and the Palestinians," the ministry said in a statement.

"After the important steps taken by the government of Israel to enable the resumption of negotiations with the Palestinians, the European Union must now exert pressure on the Palestinians to return to the negotiating table. Steps like those being led by Sweden only contribute to the opposite effect," said the statement.

Jerusalem is waging a diplomatic campaign to keep the EU from issuing such an endorsement, but diplomats close to the EU deliberations believe it is almost inevitable.

The EU foreign ministers are scheduled to meet on December 7 for a two-day meeting in Brussels on the peace process, after which a statement outlining the body's Mideast policy is expected.

The Swedish draft represents the first official EU articulation of a solution for one of the core issues of the final-status arrangement between Israel and the Palestinians.

The document expressed the EU's concern over the stalemate in the peace process and calls for the immediate renewal of negotiations between Israel and the Palestinian Authority in accordance with a prescribed timetable. The goal, it states, is "an independent, democratic, contiguous and viable state of Palestine, comprising the West Bank and Gaza and with East Jerusalem as its capital."

The draft refers directly to the situation in East Jerusalem, calling on "all parties to refrain from provocative actions" and stating the EU Council "has never recognized the annexation of East Jerusalem. If there is to be a genuine peace, a way must be found to resolve the status of Jerusalem as capital of two states. The Council calls for the reopening of Palestinian institutions in Jerusalem in accordance with the road map. It also calls on the Israeli government to cease all discriminatory treatment of Palestinians in East Jerusalem."

The document deals only briefly with Israel's announcement of a 10-month moratorium on construction in settlements across the West Bank: "The Council takes note of the recent decision of the government of Israel on a partial and temporary permanent freeze and expresses the hope that it will become a step towards resuming meaningful negotiations." Israel's removal of checkpoints also receives only cursory mention: "Many checkpoints and roadblocks remain in place to protect settlements."

On the issue of borders, the document states that the EU will not accept any changes made by Israel to the 1967 borders unless they have PA approval. The EU, it says, welcomes PA Prime Minister Salam Fayyad's proposal of a unilateral declaration of statehood and would "be able, at the appropriate time, to recognize a Palestinian state."

Israeli diplomats have been following the Swedish initiative for several weeks. Israel's Brussels-based ambassador to the EU, Ran Kuriel, sent several messages to Jerusalem last week accusing Sweden of leading the union on a "collision course" with Israel. Kuriel wrote that Britain and France support the Swedish position, while Germany, Spain and Italy are disinclined to side with Israel on the matter.

Senior Foreign Ministry officials said the belief is widespread across the foreign policy echelon that Sweden is advancing an explicitly "anti-Israel" line, rendering Europe "irrelevant" to the peace process.

European diplomats privy to the negotiations said that although changes favorable to Israel had been made to the draft, there is virtually no chance of preventing the EU from calling for the division of Jerusalem. They said they believe the EU statement will help Palestinians return to negotiations with Israel, as it gives them guarantees of a Palestinian capital in Jerusalem even though Israel has not frozen construction there.

I think it's about time Israel engages in some middle-finger diplomacy.

I wonder when the European leaders finally realize that maybe their Middle East policy keeps failing because they bet on the wrong horse.

The USA needs to step up and endorse a single ISRAELI Jeruselum.

The world needs to step up and realize that countries or city blocks should not be divided on religious grounds.

BTW, I am moving towards the Condell's proposed solution: raze Jerusalem to the ground and throw the rubble into the sea, turn the whole area into a lake.

No stupid holy city to fight for, no problem.

BTW, I am moving towards the Condell's proposed solution: raze Jerusalem to the ground and throw the rubble into the sea, turn the whole area into a lake.

Whilst the Muslims are still in the city? :lol:

Then probably the Jews and Muslims would unite to kill the guys who leveled their holy city. Plus the Armenians, Greeks, Catholics, so on so on.

On a serious note though, its high time the Jews and Muslims learned from the Armenians - their fairly quiet compared to all the bickerings occuring around them.

As long as Israel absorbs the Palestinian Muslims in the nation and reconciliating with the Palestinian Muslims, I dont see a problem with Jerusalem being Israel and Palestine's joint capital city.

What has the world turned into? If you divide Jerusalem, why not divide Israel? But, I agree that the United States should step up and prevent this from happing. By the way. Nice joke Winner! :lol:

Yea, this thread is going to go swimmingly.

Neutral independent city, that's what I want.

But the Israelis (in the government) aren't actually interested in finding peace, so there won't be any compromising.

Why not allow Israelis to leave Jerusalem and live in the expanded settlements they're so fond of and give Jerusalem to the Palestinians?

Why not allow Israelis to leave Jerusalem and live in the expanded settlements they're so fond of and give Jerusalem to the Palestinians?

In Israel's defense, the Palestinians had their chance with a divided Jerusalem. Unfortunately, though, the Palestinians had to go and attack Israel, messing that all up. Now, Israel owns Jersusalem fair and square (Relatively speaking, anyway).

In Israel's defense, the Palestinians had their chance with a divided Jerusalem. Unfortunately, though, the Palestinians had to go and attack Israel, messing that all up. Now, Israel owns Jersusalem fair and square (Relatively speaking, anyway).

Palestinians started the 6 Day War?

Nah, move inhabitants out and let them watch it being leveled.
And then when one side cries out, "no give it to the other side, I'd rather see it with the other side then destroyed", we give it to that side because that's the side that truly loves it?

Im surprised that you would let them move out first

Why would I want to kill so many Israelis?

Jerusalem is as close to the source of all evil as one can get (too bad Mecca isn't a part of Jerusalem, then we could kill two birds with one stone) - a place which three most influential monotheistic religions consider as the holiest on Earth.

I am normally against destroying cultural heritage of any culture, including the Islamic one, but Jerusalem is like an open wound.

Not that I think it will actually be destroyed (even the Iranians would avoid nuking it for religious reasons), but it's an interesting thought experiment - would the conflict continue to be as vicious if the main bone of contention was taken out of the equation?

And then when one side cries out, "no give it to the other side, I'd rather see it with the other side then destroyed", we give it to that side because that's the side that truly loves it?

I'd apply the Homer Simpson's solution to this problem...

Homer is dreaming now, and he dreams that he is wise King Solomon.
Wiggum comes in with Lenny and Carl.

Wiggum:
King Solomon, these men need you to settle a dispute. They each claim ownership of this pie.
[takes it from under a cloth]

Homer:
The pie shall be cut in two. [cleaves it with his knife, and holds out the two halves] And each man shall receive... death. [Lenny and Carl are dragged off]
I'll eat the pie. [does so]

Can we have a wall down the middle? Can we?

The irony could be more than I could handle to keep it dry.

Top Bottom