1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Eu

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Sir John, Feb 7, 2003.

?

Should the whole EU have the same language?

1. Yes

16 vote(s)
    28.1%
  2. No

38 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. Undecided\Dont care

3 vote(s)
    5.3%
  1. Sir John

Sir John The evil one...

I guess this thread is mostly for europens, but others are welcome too utter their opinions too ;) ...

The question I wanted to talk about here was the EU. I've recently heard that the EU is going to decide a language that all the countrys in the EU shall speak... Apparently all the countrys have voted, and currently most countrys voted for german...

Is this right.. Should we all have the same language?? And if so wich language should that be??

2. Cimbri

Cimbri Deity

Jah, sehr geil... ;)
    Never. Keep national identity please…

3. CurtSibling

CurtSibling ENEMY ACE™ SLeague Staff Supporter

No, many people to make a world.

In the USA, many languages are spoken too.

4. nixon

nixon Rationale is leaving you

:lol:

It's good to see that at least some folk still got some humor. ;)

5. Sir John

Sir John The evil one...

I think that languages should be the way they are...

6. stormbind

stormbind Retenta personam!

Yes it should have the same language.

France is causing problems at the moment because they hate English, they are very resistant to speaking in this language despite being fairly competent.

A lot of the German language has evolved to include English, which I think is important to my next point...

Languages evolve, English will not remain as it is today. Old-English is as distingtive as Future-English shall be. There is no good reason why French/German/Swedish cannot contribute to it's continued evolving.

If we want improved free movement, fair trade and equallity, we will have to adopt a shared means of communication.

Most Scandinavian states share a common-theme to their language that makes it possible to carefully word sentences so that they have undersood by the people of several countries!

I suspect future Europe will be speaking a varient of English that has adopted some features of other Germanic languages. I do not think French will survive, and I suspect the French people are already feeling this and it may be the cause for their extreme resistance towards the English language.

7. funxus

funxus Orange Cycloptic Blob

I don't mind if people understand each other, so yes to a common language. Still, there's no need to stop speaking your own language. It could save some money if the politicians didn't need translation all the time too:)
    English or Swedish, I don't understand anything else;)

8. stormbind

I speak English and Nederlandse. I started learning Swedish and liked it but haven't done much :)

I found French too different. I did not enjoy it and despite several years of practice I do not consider myself able to commicate effectively in this language :(

9. Switch625

Switch625 I don't care.

Not living in Europe, I really don't care what they do with their language. What will probably happen is the elites will decide to use a common language, probably English, and the masses will continue as they always have with their national languages.

Everybody will be happy.

10. vonork

vonork Emperor

If there should be a common laguage it's English <- sure I know it so... but still it's an easy language to learn compared to say german or swedish.(two other languages I know more or less)

11. CurtSibling

Much like the US...as I said.

12. CurtSibling

Care to share the joke, Nixon?

13. stormbind

We could always re-adopt Latin! :D

No, kidding... that's as bad as French. It's dated and bellongs somewhere in history.

There was a Swedish guy who wrote a whole new language that was supposed to be "international" - What was it called? What ever happened to it?

At least one relative bothered to learn it.

14. Phantom Lord

Phantom Lord live by the sword

Many of Europe's cultural achievements (especially literature of course) are based on the use of different languages. These achievements would suffer, as well as the identity of many regions would.

Therefore: No.

15. Switch625

Switch625 I don't care.

Kind of off topic, but fascinating nevertheless.

There are 176 spoken languages in the United States. English is the "national language," and Hawaiian is an official language in Hawaii and Spanish is an official language in New Mexico.

The following languages are spoken by a million or more people:

Arabic
    Armenian
    English
    Chinese, various dialects
    Czech
    French, Cajun
    French, Standard
    Filipino
    German
    Korean
    Polish
    Romani
    Spanish
    Yiddish

Information taken from www.ethnologue.com

16. gael

gael Ard Ri

I don't think this is going to eradicate all languages in europe, just put more emphasise on one particular 'other' langage in schools within the EU.
    I think it is a good idea, it will help to break down a lot of barriers and make travelling through europe a lot easier.
    I would vote for English. A lot of people in a lot of countrys in Europe already have it as a second language. It seems more practicial, as it is the first langauge of two other major continents, the US, and Austrailia.
    Theres too much history in Europe though. They'll never decide.

17. stormbind

It's hard for English (who use English as their first language) people to concentrate on second language because there are so many to choose from and not one takes presedence over another.

I should also point out that public warnings in the UK are written in multiple languages.

This include:
    English
    Arabic
    Hindu
    Chinese
    (I think there are some others - I can't say because they all look like funny squiggles to me ;) )

This is because a large proportion of British citizens have those languages as their first language. It changes nothing, English is the national language. The other hundred or so first-languages are not respected by government.

The list of languages given for the USA is irrelivant. The national language of the US is English.

The list of languages in future Europe is irrelivant. The EU language is likely to be Future-English.

18. Zarn

Zarn Le Républicain Catholique

I think having only one is a bad idea. It would create anger.

The US does not have an official language.

19. CommiePlanner

CommiePlanner Warlord

A common language may be a good thing for the EU, at the 2000 APA convention planners from three different countries discussed the language barriers encountered when trying to discuss regional lanf use planning. So maybe one language would be good at least as far as intergovernment relations are concerned.

20. Mikoyan

Mikoyan Digimortal

No, keep the national identities in the union. English should be the official trading/diplomatic language though.