Eu

Should the whole EU have the same language?

• Yes

Votes: 16 28.1%
  • No

Votes: 38 66.7%
  • Undecided\Dont care

Votes: 3 5.3%

• Total voters
I suspect future Europe will be speaking a varient of English that has adopted some features of other Germanic languages.
:lol: Very funny. If this occurs some time in the future it will be because the ONLY country that belongs to the EU is UK.

"This weren det neue Sprachen of ze European Union. We müssen invadiert ze United States mit our sprachen."
Maybe we should try out Old English? ;)

Cimbri

I strongly oppose having a single language in the EU. Sure, for politics and trade English will be used anyway. But enforcing English as the only language spoken by everyone is narrow minded and ignorant.

I have learned English, French and Spanish, after my first language German and several years of Latin at school (which you can't really speak, so it doesn't count). I would never want to miss having learned any of those languages. If my Spanish has finally become good enough, I might even tackle another one. (my first choices would be either Swedish or Russian).

I have travelled around Europe several times, and I can say that nothing is better than getting to know different people speaking different languages. The mentality, in my opinion, depends a lot on language and abolishing just one would be a loss. And I never had problems talking to someone. You sort of work your way through the languages and everyone knows at least basic English.

But even if someone does know English and French, I rather talk French than English. No language is "outdated" as someone said, they are just better in different areas.

Face it: If you don't speak German you will never be able to enjoy Kafka. If you don't speak French you will never understand a good movie. If you don't speak English technical stuff has to be expressed more complicated.

No language is superior in all areas.

Originally posted by Sir John
The question I wanted to talk about here was the EU. I've recently heard that the EU is going to decide a language that all the countrys in the EU shall speak... Apparently all the countrys have voted, and currently most countrys voted for german...

Is this right.. Should we all have the same language?? And if so wich language should that be??

I can't remember hearing anything about such a suggestion and even less about any countries voting about it. I sincerely doubt that your information is correct. Regarding the question of a common language - yes, why not. Most Europeans speak at least two languages anyway, so having all of us learning a common one would be not big deal. But it won't happen in the near future since the member states would ever be able to agree on what language to choose. Too much national pride involved.

There was no agreement on a single-language, or we would have heard of it, I am sure :)

Think about the politicians trying to agree on a single-language, they would be arguing in English! :lol:

Originally posted by test_specimen
I strongly oppose having a single language in the EU. Sure, for politics and trade English will be used anyway. But enforcing English as the only language spoken by everyone is narrow minded and ignorant.
Sorry, but I think it was narrow minded to think any Europeans would impose such a thing.

I think the discussion is more about sharing the ability to speak a common language. Nobody would impose a law to say you must speak a specific language in your home or between friends, but perhaps they would agree to all teach the same language in schools from a young age. There's nothing to stop countries teaching two or more languages, but the single-language should be available to everyone.

Originally posted by test_specimen
But even if someone does know English and French, I rather talk French than English. No language is "outdated" as someone said, they are just better in different areas.
I have found most European languages are easy to pick up, especially Germanic and Scandinavian languages.

Latin-based languages like French are harder because there are more rules.

No language has one advantage over another; we all succesfully communicate our ideas, but some are easier to manipulate than others. French takes a lot from Latin. Latin works for people who understand, it was once the European language (lasted hundreds of years) but for the most part, it's well and truly forgotten.

I have heard that Russian empowers people to express themselves more than Germanic, Scandinavian and Latin -based languages!!! Does anyone speak it? :)

The important thing is that people understand each other. No one needs to "enforce" anything. They ought to just have basic english as a required class in school. I'd think most people would want to know it.

Originally posted by stormbind
Sorry, but I think it was narrow minded to think any Europeans would impose such a thing.

I think the discussion is more about sharing the ability to speak a common language. Nobody would impose a law to say you must speak a specific language in your home or between friends, but perhaps they would agree to all teach the same language in schools from a young age. There's nothing to stop countries teaching two or more languages, but the single-language should be available to everyone.

What would the discussion then be about? Everyone in Europe learns at least a second language, even most French people speak English (seems to be the common cliche that French only speak their language). If it was not about one official language, then what are we talking about? Common language already exists to an extent.

No, there was no agreement on using a new language. The thing I ment is that they voted on what kang to use IF there were a common lang....

Originally posted by stormbind
I have found most European languages are easy to pick up, especially Germanic and Scandinavian languages.

Latin-based languages like French are harder because there are more rules.

No language has one advantage over another; we all succesfully communicate our ideas, but some are easier to manipulate than others. French takes a lot from Latin. Latin works for people who understand, it was once the European language (lasted hundreds of years) but for the most part, it's well and truly forgotten.

I have heard that Russian empowers people to express themselves more than Germanic, Scandinavian and Latin -based languages!!! Does anyone speak it? :)

I don't know for Swedish, but German grammar is more complicated than French, because there are more exceptions to the rule. French, Spanish and Latin (and Portugese and Italian, though I don't speak those) have a much easier grammatical framework. You only have a handfull of exceptions to each rule.

Most languages come from Latin, and a lot of English words are also based on Latin. If you learned the grammar you will get much easier access even to German, because the basics, like cases and times are similar. Languages based on Latin are easier, BECAUSE they have more rules than exceptions.

If every inhabitant could vote, it would turn out to be german (Germany plus Austria = most votes).

The common international language is english.

Spain and Portugal would point at their languages being used all over south america.

France would rather die than to give up its language.

The small countries wouldn't care about the discussion and keep using their languages.

Italy wouldn't care anyway, because they prefer to live a good life instead of discussing political issues.

And so on ...

Funny no one brought up Esperanto until now. A pity that only several thousand people around the world speak this language. It is an artificial language made up of several others.

sounds a fine idea as long as its english

the language spoken by the most people is mandarin chinese i believe.

But english is the most widely spoken worldwide

Ellie

A single language would destroy the cultural diversity in Europe. Language heavily influence mentality, a lost language is a lost point of view on the world.
Unless you wish to transform Europe is a big utilitarian trade union with destroyed roots, it's a completely stupid idea.

Now, having a common intermediate tongue would be appreciable. In fact, it's already the case. As sad as it is, english is already, since decades, the intermediate tongue between every countries.

Europe should speak ye olde language of Shakespeare. It is going to happen anyway why not speed things along? Though I do see a problem with Europe speaking English and the English insisting that they aren't European.

There were quite a few people speaking Esperanto until the 1930's, when both Soviet and Germany forbid the language and persecuted people for speaking it. Apparently there are some local places, like parts of Iran, where people speaks it today.
The point of having a common language would be for everyone to be able to communicate with people in Europe (and preferebly the US and the rest of the world), not to replace the allready existing language in a country (which would take at least the life time of the population today).

I don't think all of europe should have to speak the same language, everybody can keep their own language, we just need a common language (propably english) to communicate with each other. Is it asked too much if everybody learns english (at least up to the point that they are able to effectively use the language) on top of their mother tongue ?

Top Bottom