EU2: Glorious Saxony

I’ve decided to do another story, except this time with Europa Universalis II. I decided to start off the game as Saxony in the Grand Campaign, which starts in 1419. I know that some of my viewers are unfamiliar with EU2, so feel free to ask me questions on anything you like! I have a rather embearassing problem to admit, I got all the files ready to go and upload for screenshots, but then they were too big. Any help?

Goals for this story:

1. Survive until 1819 (end of the game)
2. Conquer Germany
3. Reconquer the bounds of the Holy Roman Empire
4. Create the New Roman Empire

Chapter 1, 1419-1421
Saxony is a two-province kingdom in northeastern Germany, with a modest income of 2 ducats per month. The inherent need for Saxony is to expand and increase its income. Quite simply put, Saxony needs to be aggressive in the early game if she is to exist in another 150 years…

One of the easier ways available to increase Saxony’s income is to promote bailiffs in the provinces of Sachsen and Anhalt. It is a pretty good start, but I need more income! Rather than send merchants to centers of trade, which I am not good at, the next available option is to conquer. After surveying the field, I found a likely target in Magdeburg and promptly Declared war on them on June 4, 1419.

Although a stability hit of –3 (ouch!) would have to be endured, we’re at perfect stability already (+3) and it shouldn’t be long before that is made up. So, off the Saxons march to war! Our overwhelming force of 25,000+ handily defeats their puny defenders of about 3000.

As the Magdeburgian girly-men run screaming like frightened babies from the field of battle, the Saxons head into a long Siege. About early 1420, Magdeburg entered into an alliance with Hanover, and by the law of the day, Hanover promptly declared war on mighty Saxony. The Saxons had time on their side, and just waited until their siege was over, which it was on March 1, 1420. Saxony promptly offered peace, full annexation, on March 8, which was accepted not a few minutes later!

The overly cocky Saxon armies marched south to deal with the Hanoverians, and were soundly defeated on April 21, 1420. They regrouped with 4,000 new recruits in Magdeburg, and could watch only helplessly as Anhalt fell to the marauding Hanovers.

The Saxons regrouped and by mid-June were on the march again. The armies traded sieges for a few months until August, when a superfluous offer of piece came in the door. A demand for Anhalt. Ha!Decline was obviously the response. The Hanover siege was almost finished in Magdeburg when the Saxon army arrived and pushed them off of the field. Finally, the Hanoverian army was destroyed. The next few months was respent reconquering lost territory. Hanover was finally annexed into the glorious Saxon realm on August 14, 1421.

Interesting start - those two annexations could create some big problems for you later on. It depends on what difficulty setting you're playing on. However it is two rich provinces you got there, so the economy will get a much needed lift. :)

It seems that you play vanilla version. Have you tried any of the mods, like AGCEEP? It could be worth a try, as it adds a lot of new events.

You could use Print screen, but F11 is easier. The pics are stored in you EU2 folder. Remember to convert the pics from .bmp to .jpg - the quality will decrease, but so will the size.

Thanks for the JPEG advice, Olav! :D Here are the rest of the shots that I had planned to have up:
Just one last question, how do I insert these in my story, rather than a thumbnails?

No problem! :) When I post pics in my posts, I usually upload them to http://www.imageshack.us/ . Copy the "Direct Link" and paste it into [img][/img] tags in your post. I don't know how it works with pics uploaded to civfanatics, though.

I'm a bit surprised how the pic quality is - I didn't expect it to be that poor. It should be more like the first pic in this post: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=214088

I know, it is rather poor, but it just may be that I have an old computer. Well, I'll do the berst with what I have. I will be going away for a while, and I'll toy around with imageshack when I get back. In the mean time, here is another update!!!

I’ll be gone for the next week, so this is all for now!

Chapter 2, 1421-1426

The two quick wars and subsequent annexations cast Saxony in a bad light across the Catholic world. A warning from Bavaria brought the point home. So, Saxony needed allies. The best one would probably be Austria. Even though I will have to contend with them for the crown of Germany someday, I feel that they are a good ally to have in the early game.

Our relations are the best between Saxony and any other nation in Europe (-71) so they were the fastest candidate for partnering. Unfortunately, they were not an alliance leader. I had to suck up to Venice before I could be in the same league as Austria, and our relations were somewhat less cordial (-104).

After over three years, I worked our relations up to +162 and asked to join their alliance. On November 15, 1424, I joined the alliance between Venice, Austria, Mainz, and Cologne. One of the prices of this relationship was that I had to automatically declare war on Genoa, which I did. They’re too far away for us to affect each other.

I immediately started on a Good-will blitz, increasing my relations with my other allies. I even dabbled in trade, send 6 merchants to Mecklemburg and having 2 maintain their business. By February of 1426, I had spent tremendous resources on improving relationships, which was helped out by the excellent minister event. As of that time, I had a few happy green friends in a sea of loathing. Actually, I’m surprised no one declared war on me! I’ll be gone for the next week, so this is all for now!

I wouldn't be afraid of the big red sea now as you're allied to Austria. :)

Top Bottom