1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Eureka moments are a scam

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by wiggawuu, Oct 20, 2016.

1. wiggawuu

wiggawuu Warlord

For deep strategists, they will be a trap. They will make everyone play the same way or force you into a linear path right from the start.

thoughts?

2. DSveno

DSveno Chieftain

You already fell into the trap with that way of thinking.

nzcamel, Xyriach, anandus and 3 others like this.
  3. gunnergoz

gunnergoz Cat Herder

Click bait title but no. They can be ignored. I've seen enough styles of strategy in the streams to demonstrate that there are varying ways to play the game and not all target the same Eurekas/Inspirations. AFAIC It was the old system of civics and techs that were the boring trap.

4. ptoss1

ptoss1 King

Optimal strategies will get posted within a week. Eurekas have nothing to do with it.

5. Zenstrive

Zenstrive Ocean King

Well, more than ever, Civ VI and everything in it is very tied to the map.

6. Freddy's Mouser

Freddy's Mouser Chieftain

Agree with the first part. The second part, imo, will have a lot to do with the first part.

mice likes this.
  7. ptoss1

ptoss1 King

Optimal strategies will be posted within a week even if Eurekas were removed from the game.

8. Slayan

Slayan Warlord

I've seen gameplays were they have had as many as 9 techs researched to half and waiting for a Eureka, that if they just researched the one they wanted they would have had it already instead of waiting to get the Eureka
    For me if I get it I get it if I don't not that much of a deal

9. ptoss1

ptoss1 King

Honestly I think I will just ignore Eurekas unless I get them by accident.

10. CaiusDrewart

CaiusDrewart King

I predict Eurekas are going to be substantially toned down in future patches. Right now, they look too strong and too easy.

VermelhoRed likes this.
  11. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

I suspect Eureaks will create greater strategic variance. You cannot necessarily rely upon getting a Eureka at the same point in every game, but it will depend highly upon your surroundings. So following the same path in each game will not be optimal. There will definitely be circumstances in which it's better to research a tech without the Eureka, than either waiting for the Eureka, or playing so as to earn the Eureka.

nzcamel and VermelhoRed like this.
  12. TruthfulCake

TruthfulCake Prince

Some of the Eurekas are very specific, like requiring you to build a certain improvement, or to kill units with a certain unit. To me, going out of your way to get the Eureka bonus IS the trap. Instead of delaying your research of Archery, spend turns building a Slinger, spend turns finding a barbarian and orchestrating it so that your Slinger is the one to land the finishing blow, and getting the Eureka boost, you most likely will get Archery WAY FASTER without aiming for the Eureka. Same story with having to waste one charge of your Builder on an improvement you don't need then for a Eureka.

It's all about figuring out the opportunity cost. and deciding whether or not a Eureka will happen with the current flow of your game. I think it's very intuitive and is a good design. After all, I don't see why it should take a coastal civ longer to research Sailing (if I put my efforts to it) compared to some other civ in the mountains.

King William I likes this.
  13. Promethian

Promethian Warlord

The benefits from making early slingers are freaking huge. They require less production to make than Archers but upgrade for only 30g each. Getting a kill with one is also very easy. Barbarians are common and aggressive. You will have the "opportunity" to fight and kill them with whatever units you make. Of this I assure you.

14. TruthfulCake

TruthfulCake Prince

It may not always be the case, however. I agree that the slingers are quite useful in defending against barbarians, but to say that it is always optimal to rush slingers is probably exaggerating. Archers were good in CiV and even then I didn't really rush archers because building scouts, monument, and granary were more important. Sometimes I can progress pretty far in the tech tree without having to build archers, and surviving on warriors.

All I am saying is, I don't think the Eureka moments are meant to make you play in a certain way. They are nifty when you get them, but to try to get them for the sake of being greedy may have bigger opportunity costs than researching normally, sometimes.

15. Chinese American

Chinese American Hamtastic Knight

Archery is a dead-end tech. That's a good reason not to spend 100% research on it.

You can only research one tech at a time. But you can eureka many techs concurrently. Thus properly managing eurekas will speed up research.

Shadowdrake777 likes this.
  16. ptoss1

ptoss1 King

Shouldn't Archery be linked with gunpowder? One of the first gunpowder weapons were gunpowder arrows, which became rocket arrows, and that's basically how the Hwacha was invented. Seems like a wasted opportunity.

17. TruthfulCake

TruthfulCake Prince

I guess that's true. I was trying to find an example and I totally didn't realize Archery is a dead-end. I'm sure that more examples will pop up as we progress. I don't know if the Eureka bonus for Sailing will unlock if we settle two tiles away from coast, but if it doesn't, it is another good example: settle a bit further from the coast for more strategical placement and rely on the harbor district, or expend your settler on a sub-optimal location just to get the Eureka boost?

18. Shafi-is-back

Shafi-is-back Prince

Still on my second game, the eureka's make you think a little bit more about your choices, but no you cant just be following the eureka's you have to plan your path according to what u need and try to get the eureka's needed for that path along the way.

19. King Jason

King Jason Fleece-bearer

To the initial point; mostly yes. I've been saying that since the first let's plays.

There are certainly ways to micro them. For example, if you're halfway through a tech and there are 8 turns left of research, but you know you're getting the boost in 5 turns, then it's optimal to begin researching something else. I like this.

But for the average person, they pull people's focus off of any kind of macro strategy. You should never delay a tech or goal just because you haven't gotten the boost. You should still define your tech path. If you're letting the boosts do it - you're being tricked by the system.

Honestly, I think that was part of their intent to prevent people from teching unevenly through the tree. Though this is my own conspiracy theory. Either way, it'll definitely end up being something that separates players of different skills.

dturtle1 likes this.
  20. MistyRonin

MistyRonin Warlord

Well so far in the game I played, I focused on what I needed at each moment, so I don't see how it would make me play in a certain way... unless I play always with the same civ and with a similar map starting position.