1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] Eurekas and Inspirations for Shuffle Mode

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Lily_Lancer, Aug 17, 2020.

1. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Deity

It seems that in the shuffle mode you can only reveal a tech/civic until you finish its pre-requirements, and start to do eureka/inspiration from then on.

This means now you have a very narrow time window to finish eurekas/inspirations, making them nearly impossible.

I'm sure the tech/civic pace will be slowed a lot under this mode. Maybe a standard speed SV will extend to as late as 190~200 turns in this mode(assume other settings being standard) I guess.

2. Buktu

Buktu Warlord

3. oedali

oedali King

I am soooo excited about this mode, think it’s gonna make the game so much more unpredictable and fun. Pretty sure gonna be my default mode going forward.

Based on the tweet sounds like getting a boost unhides the tech/civic though so effect may not be as drastic as I initially thought

4. hhhhhh

hhhhhh Prince

Nah you can use the eureka to reveal the tech.

upload_2020-8-17_9-5-38.png

5. DanQuayle

DanQuayle Prince

Looks like the eurekas are the same too. So the fact that the techs are now hidden is basically almost a non-factor if you reveal them when you trigger eurekas (or research the prerequisite techs).

If you combine this with a mod like Real Eureka from @Infixo that randomize eurekas, now things could get more hairy..

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
    AntSou, 10101100, Atlas627 and 6 others like this.
  6. tedhebert

tedhebert Emperor

That's not what I understood there... it really shuffles the tree, but I think they still stay in the same era...

Noble Zarkon likes this.
  7. Atlas627

Atlas627 Deity

Did he say anything about them not being in the same era?

The techs are random within era and hidden info, but the Eurekas are static, and achieving a Eureka will reveal where that tech is.

Myomoto and tedhebert like this.
  8. Onii-chan

Onii-chan King

I love this idea. Not exactly super balanced and a big hurdle for anyone that usually plans ahead a lot, but it should be a ton of fun to play with. I've previously played with a mod that turns all the eurekas and inspirations into new random effects, and that was okay-ish, but shuffling around the whole layout of the trees is a much more interesting approach to the same idea I think

9. tedhebert

tedhebert Emperor

Oh sorry I read that the techs were the same when he wrote that the Eurekas were the same

my bad

Atlas627 likes this.
  10. 10101100

10101100 Chieftain

Lol that completely defeats the point of the mode, hopefully the listen to the feedback and randomize those as well (not that I'm counting on it)

11. Atlas627

Atlas627 Deity

Why? You still don't know where a tech/civic is until you achieve the Eureka/Inspiration, which means if you want more time to plan you need to achieve the Eureka/Inspiration even earlier. This still completely changes incentives.

Besides, all the pathways are still randomized, even if the location does get revealed. And the pathway may still be unrevealed...

Myomoto, Datgingah, Equilin and 4 others like this.
  12. lotrmith

lotrmith King

Yes since you don't know the pathway, you may trigger or pursue a Eureka you don't necessarily want or need. Likewise, a tech you want or need may end up buried behind something you didn't know to pursue the Eureka for.

Atlas627, 8housesofelixir and Pietato like this.
  13. tzu

tzu Chieftain

I don't think so. In the picture of post #4 Archery may hide behind _any_ of the unrevealed techs ... the fastest way to find out & begin to develop Archery systematically is probably in general building a slinger & kill a barbarian. Seeing the position then shows (or helps speculating about) the pathway.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
  14. Datian

Datian Warlord

I think it could have been like that since the beginning.
    The motto of the game was, as I understand it, to "play the map", that is to take the game as it comes, to tone down a perfect pre-planning.
    Here, the eurekas are much more relevant, they help you plan as they come.

King Rad and Socrates99 like this.
  15. monikernemo

monikernemo Warlord

Are we going to see again a sub-200 domination I mean science victory in this mode?

Pietato likes this.
  16. Pietato

Pietato Emperor

And while your slinger is making his way to a barb unit, what are you doing?

Atlas627 likes this.
  17. FinalDoomsday

FinalDoomsday Prince

As some one with a brain that resists any attempt at serious planning this mode will be my default. Just go with the flow and see what comes up!

King Rad and Pietato like this.
  18. Pietato

Pietato Emperor

Lily takes building the 'skeleton' of his spaceship seriously...

19. OneWorld

OneWorld Chieftain

Yeah, that would be the usually strategy for revealing core techs/civis I suppose. For that reason also randomizing the eurekas/inspirations via the @Infixo 's Real Eurekas mod will be the real shuffle mode for me and these combo sounds like real fun! :)

20. lotrmith

lotrmith King

Say you're trying to rush Horseback Riding (perhaps you're Mongolia or Scythia, or for whatever reason). You're fishing for it, you may even build a pasture and reveal it's behind something. You have a builder with two charges... you put a farm on some rice to reveal irrigation, but it turns out irrigation is not the tech that's blocking you. The tech blocking you is actually Wheel, and you use your final charge on some copper.

Pietato and Atlas627 like this.