1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

euro 2008 quarter and semi finals

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by holy king, Jun 18, 2008.

1. holy king

holy king Deity

you mean if he would have been replaced by you the very moment he had to shoot on the goal. :lol:

2. Grisu

Grisu Draghetto Retired Moderator

same here, if they manage to keep the game close for a while they win, otherwise Portugal advances, IMHO

in the other games I expect the Netherlands, Spain and Croatia to advance

though in the case of Spain it's more of a wish than anything else. It would be nice to see them advance further for a change.

Netherlands - Russia promises to be a nice attack minded game :)

3. Darkness

Darkness Shadow creature

I totally disagree here. Buffon is great, but Italy will only go as far as Andrea Pirlo can take them. At the WC two years ago he was already their second-best player (after Cannavaro, who probably played the best 7 games of his life), but he's the main guy now. And considering he's suspended for the game against Spain, I'd say Spain is the favorite. Then again, considering Spain's history of messing up in the knock-out stages, Italy might just prove me wrong here.

Other news:

Khalid Boulahrouz may not play for the Netherlands on saturday. The Dutch news just reported his prematurely born infant daughter died this morning... :(

4. RedRalph

RedRalph Deity

I think Holland will beat Russia but it'll be closer than people think. If the Russia that turned up last night comes, it could go to penalties. that said, if the Russia that played Spain show up holland could get 5.

5. Stapel

Stapel FIAT 850 coupé

Yesterday's Russian Team looked strong because the Swedish team has been overrated. Apart from that, the Swedes underperformed, even considering their rather weak team. Of the Swedes, only Ibrahimovic would have a chance to be in the Dutch team, were he Dutch.
    Football can be a funny game, but the Dutch should beat the Russians hands down, 9 out of 10 times.

Portugal - Deutschland: Potentially one of the best games in the whole EC, so it's bound not to be so :) . Before the the tourney started, I regarded Portugal as the #1 favourite and I still think they will make to the finals. However, football tournaments should all hold this warning:
    WARNING, FOOTBALL MAY CAUSE GERMANY TO BE CHAMPIONS

Italia - Espana: Normally, Spain starts off very well, just to screw it up whenever they can in the knock-out rounds. Italy usually starts off poorly, slips through to the next round and then appears to be hard to beat later on. So, Italy will win this one. However, IIRC, Italy will miss field-captain Pirlo and his lieutenant Gatusso. That's a significant difference. So maybe Spain can hold out. I'm quite confident the Dutch can beat the Spanish rather easily. The perfect screw-up would be to be kicked out by the Italians in the semis....

Hrvatska - Türkiye: Probably a passionate game with many bookings.

Germany, Italy, Holland & since a couple of years Portugal are all tournament performers.

6. Terxpahseyton

Terxpahseyton How much Parmesan to put on your umbrella?

:lol:
    indeed.. Portugla is the clear favorite team and they deserve to be.
    But still I can't help my self to see the realistic chance of a German win. Even if our game against croatia was just horrible und against Austria and Poland was not beyond average. We are an tournement team and were never the great-skills-team. Three won european championships are the result of this quality and a win in this quarter final might get one as well.

7. Quildavyr

Quildavyr Man of sick jokes!

I agree with that completely.Even Tony is playing very poor.

8. holy king

holy king Deity

germany does it again. vomited the ball into the goal three times. awful...

9. Masquerouge

Masquerouge Deity

Indeed! :lol: and 3-2, not too shabby. Portugal was once again not up to the second round, and that's too bad cos I like them.
    I'm afraid Spain (another of my favorites) will also live up to its poor second-round record... but at least it's always better than France's nasty first round-record :lol: But if they can get rid of Italy, that would be great ;)

10. Hitro

Hitro Feistus Raclettus

Well... :mischief:

And it became a 3-2 won through an irregular goal. The old Germany is back. Poor Croats and Turks.

11. Hitro

Hitro Feistus Raclettus

Agreed on the second (Klose almost managed to miss that one...) and the third (a clear foul) but the first was probably the most brilliant goal of the whole tournament.

Still 2-2 would have been deserved.

12. kronic

kronic Deity

Too bad that Podolski 40m shot wasn't in.

13. Rik Meleet

Rik Meleet Top predator Retired Moderator

That was a good shot indeed.
    Pepe should have scored from the corner as well though.
    Still: I think Germany is the deserved winner of this match. Cristiano who?? :mischief:

p.s. kronic: CFC language is english, and your sig needs a translation ;)

14. Nicopol

Nicopol Warlord

oh man! it was so close! and it would be the goal of the tournament...

but what a great first goal - what a team play :goodjob:

15. Marla_Singer

Marla_Singer United in diversity

Out of all social and economical systems, capitalism is undoubtedly the most natural. This alone should be enough to indicate it will be the worst.

16. Mazarin

Mazarin Warlord

Very pleasantly surprised by Germany today. A draw wouldn't have been undeserved, but this was the first game I was happy with our performance.

Marla, it should probably read capitalism.

17. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

sigh.... :(

I was rooting for Portugal, in case Italy went out.
    Now I'll withdraw on Russia and Turkey

18. Marla_Singer

Marla_Singer United in diversity

You're right. It's been corrected. :)

19. LAnkou

LAnkou Breizh A Tao

Gary Lineker is right again...

I'm glad that the dancers are out!!! Beautifull goal by a german player i don't dare to write the name (scwh, no...hcws, neither...schewi, not yet...). About the third goal, well, if the portuguese player doesn't fall, there is nothing. Since they don't always need a foul to fall, by not falling, he just proved there is no foul. And considering all the times were it's the striker who get pushed, i know it's against the rule, but it's only fair.

20. Hadesspirit

Hadesspirit Prince

This time our turn to beat Croatia comes.We will take our revenge.
    But if Turks come to semi final, i will be glad too.:)