1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

euro 2008 quarter and semi finals

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by holy king, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust New Englander

Great win for the Germans, but one thing.

Ronaldo gets a lot of slack for diving. And rightfully so. But the way Ballack fell when someone touched his chest was just horrible. From that moment on I was rooting for the Portugese.

But they never managed to get into the game and the best team won.

2. Adler17

Adler17 Prussian Feldmarschall

This was the best game of the EC so far! The Portuguese were by far the better player, but the best team won. Portugal never got really into the game. The best picture showing that was IMO in the 15th minute, where a desperate Ronaldo was shown. The Portuguese team was encircled all the way. And the three goals were top.
    Yes, Ballack pushed him. And yes, that was irregular. But since Hitzlsberger was not able to score shortly before because of being offside, what was wrong, I don't mind. Indeed a remis would have been fair for a normal match, but here the KO had to go to one team. And I don't think the Portuguese were better this day. They are outstanding, but the Germans kept them away. Ronaldo, what did he do? Simao? Nuno Gomes (despite scoring slightly luckily)? Nani and Deco were outstanding, but still not able to win the match. In contrast Schweinsteiger again was the terror of Portugal.
    I hope the Croatians will make it today. Why? I want to see the revenge! But in this formation also the Turks will have not much chances. And considering the many Turks living here I don't want to have such a duel.
    I predict a final Germany- Netherlands. And that will be very interesting!

Adler

3. holy king

holy king Deity

the best team won? mediocre defending, granted. some lucky attacks.
    first half: 2 shots on goal, two goals.
    efficient, of course, but this kind of efficiency IS lucky, if the (overall better) opponent can create more chances during the same time period.

4. LAnkou

LAnkou Breizh A Tao

well, in football cliché, there are a few things to know:
    italian catenaccio
    spanish good in qualifications, crumble in the 1/8 or 1/4
    French champaign (but losing) football
    brazilian acrobatic football
    dutch counter-attacking speed
    argentinian dribbling skills
    celtic fighting spirit
    english worst goalkeeping
    portuguese losing abilities
    Viking (aka nörge, sverïge, danmark) tall players

and German Realism!!!!

4 framed shots, 3 goals, that's a bad performance for a german team (only 75% of success)

5. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust New Englander

Portugal's downfall was the forwards all going for goal and personal glory from 25 yards instead of passing the ball. And the defence lacking severly against German's powerhouse offensive play.

6. scy12

scy12 Deity

there is another reason that goes by the name of Fereira.

7. holy king

holy king Deity

yeah, nani is just stupid. somebody should show him a statistic how often those silly wide shots become goals.

8. Nicopol

Nicopol Warlord

the "funny" thing is that the world press "thinks" that germany was the better team. just goole for international press (i did it because i was curious about what other newspapers print about the game last night).

9. holy king

holy king Deity

even the daily mail and the sun! :eek:
    the world has gone nuts... :lol:

10. Grisu

Grisu Draghetto Retired Moderator

same, same. some teams get called 'divers' and get blasted whenever one of their players dives (or even gets fouled as Ronaldo showed). when a player of a supposedly non-diving team dives nobody cries out....

I was a bit annoyed at my newspaper that called Ballack's push against Fereira 'clever'. so fouling is clever now?

still, germany deserved the win last night since Portugal nowhere came close to their abilities...

11. Nicopol

Nicopol Warlord

I hope the rest of the quater finals are nearly as good as the one last night. Then it would be a great euro.

12. holy king

holy king Deity

if it's a clever foul: yes. and i have to admitt it was one...

13. kronic

kronic Deity

Boring match so far. But looks like Gomez taught some Croat player a lesson in the Germany-Croatia match.

14. uppi

uppi Deity

After seeing the first half, I wish there was a way for both of them to lose...

15. Mazarin

Mazarin Warlord

will this get the most boring match of the tournament award? Really disappointed with Croatia that managed to beat Germany and Turkey who showed a lot of passion in their last game.

16. Sofista

Sofista card-carrying

Breaking news: Spaniards contact higher powers in a concerted effort to move past the quarters.

17. Hitro

Hitro Feistus Raclettus

Well it did not get that...

18. raketooy

raketooy professional Coke drinker

QF-damn-T.

BTW the actual most boring match was France-Romania. No playoff match can beat it because there will be either at least one goal or the penalties.

19. Mazarin

Mazarin Warlord

I would've been happy if it wasn't for the first 118 minutes of the match, the end did make up for alot though.:goodjob:

20. Nuisance

Nuisance Chieftain

Well, first two quarter finals are over and i must say i was pleasently surprised by germany's performance, they were the better team imo and the win was deserved.

Croatia produced more chances and played better overall, but hands down to turkey, their fighting/team spirit was shining through in the end and they prevailed, and the most boring game this EC since the Romania vs France game turned into a nutcracker in the 119th minute :goodjob:.

As for the upcoming games.

Holland vs Russia:

Obvious favourites are holland, but imo the russians are dangerous underdogs and if they keep their defence together they can surprise any team. Arshavin back in the team really gave them a boost well needed. Holland are still massive favourites, and my favourites for the whole competition.

Winner: Holland

Spain vs Italy:

Italy have been a major disappointment so far, more than usual and i cant se them slipping through this one. Spain have impressed and are on a roll. Ofcourse Spain do have recent WC/EC history working against them, breaking down in the play offs, In the World Cup of 2002 one could argue that they were cheated of their victory against South Korea with that goal that turned into a corner. Anywhoo im hoping for them to redeem themselves and coming through victorious vs Italy :)

Winner: Spain