euro 2008 quarter and semi finals

So after a couple of days thinking about this:
I hope for Spain to win the tournament. It's been high time the Spaniards won something.
Next, Turkey. In the last 10 years their record is not too shabby and it would be good to have them win something to top that era.
Next, Russia. Total outsider, and the good days of Lechin and Dassaev are long gone. But hearing the Russian anthem always kicks ass!
And last, Germany. Even though in my eyes Italy has taken the role of France's arch-nemesis in football, I can't commit myself to root for Germany. Erinnern 1982! :) (yeah, I was 6, so what?)

Realistically, though, Germany will win, Spain second, then Russia, then Turkey

Funny thing that you consider Germany the French arch rivals. Because I don't know about any rivalry Germany has with France when it comes to football. There's the NL, then there's England, and then there are only teams against whom a loss would be just embarassing: the likes of Austria and Poland.

Everyone hates the Germans...

Funny thing that you consider Germany the French arch rivals. Because I don't know about any rivalry Germany has with France when it comes to football. There's the NL, then there's England, and then there are only teams against whom a loss would be just embarassing: the likes of Austria and Poland.

It dates back to both the 1982 and 1986 world cups.

Germany does not really have rivalry with England either. Most people in fact think stuff like "oh, they belong into big tournaments". Now with Holland most people wish them out no matter how.

Holland is in fact the only real rival Germany has in international football from the German perspective.

Italy might develop into one if something like 2006 happens again soon.

As you said Poland or Austria aren't taken seriously and the stance towards France is totally indifferent. Same with teams like Spain, I don't think anyone but people with individual reasons has anything against Spain. Or Brazil. Or Argentina. And so on...

Germany does not really have rivalry with England either. Most people in fact think stuff like "oh, they belong into big tournaments". Now with Holland most people wish them out no matter how.

Holland is in fact the only real rival Germany has in international football from the German perspective.

Italy might develop into one if something like 2006 happens again soon.

As you said Poland or Austria aren't taken seriously and the stance towards France is totally indifferent. Same with teams like Spain, I don't think anyone but people with individual reasons has anything against Spain. Or Brazil. Or Argentina. And so on...

second

I agree that France and Germany aren't really football rivals. The real historical rivalries are France vs Italy and Germany vs Netherlands.

This being said, Sevilla 1982 is undoubtedly the most painful French collective memory as a sport event. We had 1870, 1914, 1940 and 1982. France doesn't have a passionate relationship with Germany in football, but there's a real thirst of revenge. It's been 22 years that French people are waiting for a revenge against the Germans in a world cup or a euro. I'm sure one day it will come ! :lol:

:confused: Who's in charge of your football federation? Or is it that public opinion isn't as critical as one would think?

the free masonist rule france and its fa. really.

keeping domenech may be bad for france, but good for the rest of europe in terms of football. or maybe that squad was just as hyped as england -except ribery?

^ The French federation is controlled by a "mafia" that only looks after its own interests. An overwhelming majority of French wanted him out, but these guys (rightly so I must admit, even thought not in that case) usually don't pay attention to public opinion.
I mean public opinion has chosen Sarkozy for president after all, so just imagine what kind of clown they'd choose for manager... Eeeerm, wait a minute:hammer2:....

Heh. Still in the aftermath of the group stage the name of Deschamps was repeated by the press (maybe only our own?), although I'd say he needs some experience still.

Now, a friend of mine tonight told me that they kept him for contractual reasons, that is, Domenech refused to go, and if they had kicked him out they should have paid him a king's ransom. Is it true?

^ no, I don't think so. Deschamps was the obvious choice and everyone talked about him being the obvious choice, especially his former team-mates, who as you can imagine have considerable influence. I think the federation fat cats got scared of a coup by the 98-2000 generation and decided to stick with their man who's been working for them for over a decade.

I just found this BBC article covering the story. A real curio:

"Domenech's record is not that bad as coach. It is not catastrophic," said FFF president Jean-Pierre Escalettes. "He qualified for a major competition two straight times. I did not want emotion and passion to get the better of reason."

I'd be furious if I was French: the '98-2000 generation finally consecrates France as a first tier powerhouse, and here comes this Escalettes guy and talks as if being an also-ran was a perfectly worthy achievement.

The FFF said that Domenech's targets "have been re-defined and his managerial responsibilities re-evaluated".
"He only has one mission now, to concentrate on what happens on the field," Escalettes added. "Now the communication has to be focused on the French team, not personal viewpoints.

Consequent: Domenech's abilities having been officially declared okay, it turns out he was just being slightly overly dramatic in press conferences.
I'm at a loss for words.

maybe one needs to remind people, that the hire and fire practice of national coaches is kind of a new approach.
if i look back at germany's previous coaches, some were in office for 14 to more than 20 years.
derwall, beckenbauer and vogts had 3 or 4 tournaments/chances to win a title. only recently the dfb started to chuck them out earlier. maybe a national team needs some more time and continuity to develop into an effective unit. and imo this is definatley the case with this young and unexperienced but talented french team.

Let's look at the German managers you quote more closely.

Derwall: wins Euro '80, reaches the 1982 WC final. Of course he's retained, and in 1984 Germany is out of the Euro in the first round. In comes...

...Kaiser Franz, who reaches the '86 WC final, reachs the semi in Euro '88, wins the '90 WC then leaves on his own will.

Vogts takes the helm, reaches the Euro 92 final, the USA 94 quarter-final, wins Euro 96 and leaves after the 98 WC quarter final loss.

I believe these facts reveal that the present day NT manager must impress or leave. Early-to-mid-20th century Germany indeed kept coaches for extended periods of time, as did Italy, England, Austria. But with today's pressure and, plainly stated, economic interests around football, who can afford to risk a decade just to decide whether Mr X is the right man for the job or not? International football events are simply too few and far between to allow that - it's rare as it is the mere existence of an Alex Ferguson.

Top Bottom