Euro 2008

No, it was not. While already quite obvious in real time they clearly showed it in the half time on German TV.

Irregardless of whether he was offside or not (i think he was). There was a portuguese player infront of him taking part in the play who was offside and was obstructing the view of the goalkeeper.

Irregardless of whether he was offside or not (i think he was). There was a portuguese player infront of him taking part in the play who was offside and was obstructing the view of the goalkeeper.

He didn't obstruct anything, hence passive offside. The Czech goal was the same thing, on guy offside and way closer to the later goalscorer but correctly not called off.

Anyhow, it didn't matter anyway in the end, so it's a truly marginal point.

Tomorrow I hope for the Ösis to get something out of their match although I can live well with the Croats going far. And after that I'm all for Poland. :yeah:

report coming in from the Polish news channel: Germans and Poles fighting each other in various countries.

8 germans arrests in Germany (forgot city) 3 Poles in Krakow, and 4 (2 austrians, 2 polish) near linz, Austria.

Great, another world war.

as for my thoughts on today's games, in case anyone is bored enough to read what i write here:

The first game was boring and neither team really showed any creativity. The second half was better, but not really that great. The goal was nice, it's not easy to get a good shot off the right side of your foot like that.. especially while you're running and the ball is bouncing. That ball was placed perfectly! Well done, whoever the hell that was. Koller looks worn out and .. maybe we'll see Baros start one of the next 2 games? It's been said that he hasn't been in form lately, and that's why he's been left out of the starting 11, but.. if I were the coach I'd consider sticking him in the next game instead of Koller - who didn't really perform this game. Although if the team has been training with Koller in that lone striker position, then they might want to stick to that.. IMO they should be playing with 2 strikers.. I realize that the czech midfield is not what it used to be (how can you replace nedved or smicer?).. but they need to play more offensive football. They already have 3 points, so advancing from the group is within reach.. but unless the czechs play more offensive football, they're not going to get anywhere in this tournament.

Second game was entertaing enough.. and although Portugal was good, and showed periods of brilliance (such as during both goals), Turkey could have easily tied it near the end, before the second Portugese goal (which might not have come, had Turkey scored and changed the game). There was one instance where Tuncay missed a shot right in front of the net.. and a couple headers that should have been goals. Portugal played well, and in the end won, but I wonder how well they're going to play against more evenly matched opposition. Ronaldo looked nervous, although he eventually got into the game and in the end helped to set up the second goal.

Having said that Turkey doesn't match up to Portugal, I think that they can still be a threat.. IF they figure out how to finish the moves they start. I can see Turkey beating both other teams in their group... it is def. within their reach. I am hoping to see Czech republic advance.. but we'll see how that plays out. Switzerland has spirit and home advantage... but they will not advance from the group. I don't think they can recover with a game against Portugal still coming up.. and the loss of the inspirational Frei.

Austria vs Croatia should be a good warm-up game to Poland vs Germany. Croatia is probably going to win.. Germany is probably going to win too, but it should be an interesting fight. Poland stole 4 points from Portugal in qualifying, and if we can repeat that form, we can beat anyone. I have faith in Leo to figure out how to beat Germany with the players we have.. It's going to be tough but it can be done.. if the players perform. Germany is probably going to win, but I'm rooting for Poland because I know we can win.

And if that's true about the violence, then I'm dissapointed... stuff like that just shouldn't happen. It IS the germans, sure, I understand that, but let's cut them some slack.. and enjoy the game without acting like idiots.

Are we going to make the 1000 posts this tournament or what? I missed four pages between the start of the matches and the morning after the matches.

Switzerland looked rather good in my opinion, they deserved to draw, at the least. A realy pity for Alexander Frei, but maybe it'll act as a motivation for the rest of the team. I actually thought the Swiss were better in the second half. Vonlanthen should have scored! Czechs were defensive and boring. They used to be more attractive IMO, and I don't think they'll win this year. If they're struggeling against the Swiss, I hope they'll concede plenty of goals against Portugal.

I still think Switzerland has a good chance of going though. Turkey looked rather weak, and if they can score an early goal, chances are Turkey is going to be destroyed like in the match against Portugal. With some luck, Portugal will field a weak team against Switzerland in the last match, and they can take some points of them. Then, only the Czechs have to lose against Portugal (likely) and lose some points against Turkey (possible). I'm still betting on Switzerland!

Turkey vs. Portugal was rather disappointing IMO. Portugal looks like it could win the tournament, though I fear they won't be effective enough. Turkey have the skill, but miss the structure, the organization, the defence, the power to go on. I won't really miss them either.

Great, another world war.

as for my thoughts on today's games, in case anyone is bored enough to read what i write here:

The first game was boring and neither team really showed any creativity. The second half was better, but not really that great. The goal was nice, it's not easy to get a good shot off the right side of your foot like that.. especially while you're running and the ball is bouncing. That ball was placed perfectly! Well done, whoever the hell that was. Koller looks worn out and .. maybe we'll see Baros start one of the next 2 games? It's been said that he hasn't been in form lately, and that's why he's been left out of the starting 11, but.. if I were the coach I'd consider sticking him in the next game instead of Koller - who didn't really perform this game. Although if the team has been training with Koller in that lone striker position, then they might want to stick to that.. IMO they should be playing with 2 strikers.. I realize that the czech midfield is not what it used to be (how can you replace nedved or smicer?).. but they need to play more offensive football. They already have 3 points, so advancing from the group is within reach.. but unless the czechs play more offensive football, they're not going to get anywhere in this tournament.

Second game was entertaing enough.. and although Portugal was good, and showed periods of brilliance (such as during both goals), Turkey could have easily tied it near the end, before the second Portugese goal (which might not have come, had Turkey scored and changed the game). There was one instance where Tuncay missed a shot right in front of the net.. and a couple headers that should have been goals. Portugal played well, and in the end won, but I wonder how well they're going to play against more evenly matched opposition. Ronaldo looked nervous, although he eventually got into the game and in the end helped to set up the second goal.

Having said that Turkey doesn't match up to Portugal, I think that they can still be a threat.. IF they figure out how to finish the moves they start. I can see Turkey beating both other teams in their group... it is def. within their reach. I am hoping to see Czech republic advance.. but we'll see how that plays out. Switzerland has spirit and home advantage... but they will not advance from the group. I don't think they can recover with a game against Portugal still coming up.. and the loss of the inspirational Frei.

Austria vs Croatia should be a good warm-up game to Poland vs Germany. Croatia is probably going to win.. Germany is probably going to win too, but it should be an interesting fight. Poland stole 4 points from Portugal in qualifying, and if we can repeat that form, we can beat anyone. I have faith in Leo to figure out how to beat Germany with the players we have.. It's going to be tough but it can be done.. if the players perform. Germany is probably going to win, but I'm rooting for Poland because I know we can win.

And if that's true about the violence, then I'm dissapointed... stuff like that just shouldn't happen. It IS the germans, sure, I understand that, but let's cut them some slack.. and enjoy the game without acting like idiots.

I disagree with Turkey going through. Sure, they have a lot of individual skill. But there's more than individual skill, they're just not really a good team. Their defence is a disaster waiting to happen, and their strikers looked really inefficient. Did you see that moment where one guy was walking with the ball on the edge of the box, and the other tried to shoot the ball, but kicked his teammate instead? Things like that don't happen in a winning team. I can't see them beating both the experienced Czechs and the Swiss with their home advantage.

By the way, I heard on the telly that all Czech defenders play in Italy. That was clearly visible in their play. At a certain point, their entire team was on their own half for minutes.

Now:

Portugal 3
Czech Republic 3
Switzerland 0
Turkey 0

Switzerland beats Turkey, Portugal defeats Czech Republic:

Portugal 6
Switzerland 3
Czech Republic 3
Turkey 0

Portugal is almost sure to go through, as they won Czech Republic, so they won't have much motivation, so Switzerland wins, Czech Republic beats Turkey:

Portugal, Czech Republic and Switzerland 6
Turkey 0

Portugal won Czech Republic, but lose to Switzerland. Czech Republic won Switzerland, but lost to Portugal. Switzerland won Portugal, but lost to Czech Republic. THEN we have an interesting situation. :D

Portugal is almost sure to go through, as they won Czech Republic, so they won't have much motivation, so Switzerland wins, Czech Republic beats Turkey:

Portugal, Czech Republic and Switzerland 6
Turkey 0

Portugal won Czech Republic, but lose to Switzerland. Czech Republic won Switzerland, but lost to Portugal. Switzerland won Portugal, but lost to Czech Republic. THEN we have an interesting situation. :D

Wont it just be on goal difference...

Yes, so the Swiss will be out, going on their goal record.

By the way, I heard on the telly that all Czech defenders play in Italy. That was clearly visible in their play. At a certain point, their entire team was on their own half for minutes.

Ujfalusi plays for Atletico Madrid. And I wonder how the fact that the other three defenders play in Italy could influence midfielders to defend :mischief:
I guess journalists are warming up for monday.

Wont it just be on goal difference...

Equality of points after the group matches

If two or more teams are equal on points on completion of the group matches, the following criteria are applied to determine the rankings.
a) Higher number of points obtained in the group matches played among the teams in question.
b) Superior goal difference from the group matches played among the teams in question.
c) Higher number of goals scored in the group matches played among the teams in question.
d) Higher number of goals scored away from home in the group matches played among the teams in question.
e) If, after applying criteria a) to d) to several teams, two or more teams still have an equal ranking, the criteria a) to d) will be reapplied to determine the ranking of these teams. If this procedure does not lead to a decision, criteria f) and g) will apply.
f) Results of all group matches: 1. Superior goal difference 2. Higher number of goals scored 3. Higher number of goals scored away from home 4. Fair play conduct.
g) Drawing of lots.

http://en.euro2008.uefa.com/news/kind=512/newsid=324619.html

Are we going to make the 1000 posts this tournament or what? I missed four pages between the start of the matches and the morning after the matches.

Switzerland looked rather good in my opinion, they deserved to draw, at the least. A realy pity for Alexander Frei, but maybe it'll act as a motivation for the rest of the team. I actually thought the Swiss were better in the second half. Vonlanthen should have scored! Czechs were defensive and boring. They used to be more attractive IMO, and I don't think they'll win this year. If they're struggeling against the Swiss, I hope they'll concede plenty of goals against Portugal.

I still think Switzerland has a good chance of going though. Turkey looked rather weak, and if they can score an early goal, chances are Turkey is going to be destroyed like in the match against Portugal. With some luck, Portugal will field a weak team against Switzerland in the last match, and they can take some points of them. Then, only the Czechs have to lose against Portugal (likely) and lose some points against Turkey (possible). I'm still betting on Switzerland!

Turkey vs. Portugal was rather disappointing IMO. Portugal looks like it could win the tournament, though I fear they won't be effective enough. Turkey have the skill, but miss the structure, the organization, the defence, the power to go on. I won't really miss them either.

Provided Koller does not statrt every game for the Czechs i don't see them not moving on.

The Swiss is a team that moves around the ball much but lacks the experience needed to progress in such tournaments.

Even with not the best of midfields the Czech reminded me of Greece in 2004.
As i consider knowing how to play defense as very important i see them progressing from the group and possibly going even further from there.

Portugal is a very good team also with possibly the best creative midfield of the tournament.

3 hours to go, still hope for us. (though i fear this hope will vanish about 10 minutes into the game...)

thoughest thing is i've allready had more beer than my digestive tract can handle this weekend. gonna be a hard day tomorrow... :lol:

Poland - Germany today.

I won't be posting though, i'm going to the pub with a couple friends to watch it.

Top Bottom