1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Euro 2008

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by dutchfire, May 16, 2008.

1. TheLastOne36

TheLastOne36 Deity

I think we will beat Germany. if we beat Germany then i say we've already gotten through to the quarters as you guys can't be to hard, and we only need 6 points to make it through. (Then Germany has to beat BOTH Croatia and Austria)

2. holy king

holy king Deity

ha, you're our only somewhat realistic chance for a win. :)

3. Grisu

Grisu Draghetto Retired Moderator

he'll be out for 6-8 weeks, so no euro for him :(

4. TheLastOne36

TheLastOne36 Deity

i hope not, i don't want to have to face croatia in a life or death match to get to the quarters.

What do you guys think about the likeliness of Poland to pull of a Greece and get lucky and win the cup? the odds for greece was to win last time was 1/100. Poland is still is alot less then that. Austria's odds are 1/75 so Poland has to be like 1/40 or 1/50?

5. scy12

scy12 Deity

What an interesting group. We have the Germans. The guys that could be Germans. And those who where annexed by the Germans so many times. And the Germans themselfs who will not get anything with that defense . And there is croatia.

Anyway hopes for Germany and Croatia to win with many goals from Ballack , Kranjar , Lahm and Corluca.

6. scy12

scy12 Deity

to do that you require a good defence and an Otto Rehaggel as a coach.

Hmm. How good is Bak ? Zeulacov IMO is a very good defender. How are the rest ?

7. Hitti-Litti

Hitti-Litti Deity

Maybe something like 1/40 would be good for Poland. You have an easier group than Greece had, Germany-Croatia-Austria is easier than Portugal-Spain-Russia.

So far none of the four teams have looked good enough to pull of a Greece, as you need to have an incredible defense if you want to do it. Poland has a great goalkeeper(Artur Boruc), but I'm not so sure about your defenders.

8. holy king

holy king Deity

austria is given insanely low odds by almost all bookies. i see them between 1:150 and 1:200 at best.
    poland played a great qualification round and seemed totally out of form during the preparation phase. i'd give them about 1:75.

hm... i can only guess the greece win was such a huge strike to the bookies that they are afraid of giving proper odds now. psychological thing...

9. scy12

scy12 Deity

IMHO Portugal is the team Greece always loves to face as they have a tradition going on with them for several years. I hope we find them in the semis or even better in the final again ...

10. TheLastOne36

TheLastOne36 Deity

Bak? old.
    Żewłakow? old.
    Golański? our best defender
    Jop? ok, getting old, still pretty good.
    Kokoszka? to young and unexperienced. He's going to be a good defender though.
    Wasilewski? ok
    Wawrzyniak? Our second best defender, and he's only 24.

Yes Poland doesn't have the best defenders... I'm not even sure which ones were called by leo for the euro...

Anyway i hope Roger can turn our team around.

11. holy king

holy king Deity

you forgot that croatia are the guys who once where part of the empire of those who could be germans and traitorously sneaked away after world war 1. :)

12. scy12

scy12 Deity

Well , other than Zewlakow i don't know anyone else from that list. What system do you play and how are your defensive midfielders ?

Greece at 2004 played 4.5.1 which was changed on 4.3.3 on the counter.

Katsouranis was and is a very good athletic player with good defensive abilities. Basians had experience while Zagorakis played the tournament of his life. Karagoonis (At Inter then) is a passionate player that helps both defense and attack and IMO the best player of Greece right now.

13. holy king

holy king Deity

btw. my condolences to the swiss. losing frei and THAT game is horrible.

14. Hitro

Hitro Feistus Raclettus

I think it's close to zero. Actually I think they'll have a hard time even surviving the easiest group in the tournament.

As said above I'd like Poland to win today but objectively I don't think it will happen, because the German team is better in all aspects of the squad. Yes, the German defense is anything but top notch in this form but Poland's (with Bak et al) is certainly not better. Poland have no Ballack and Frings and their midfielders are also not significantly better than the rest of the Germans'. So clear advantage for Germany there. The German forwards are way better than the Poles.

So overall I'd predict a win for Germany in which both teams score, 3-1 or 4-2 or something like that.

Should that happen it will become very hard for Poland because they'd then face the home team, who they'd have to beat to advance. Even they manage to do that it would likely still be a all-or-nothing game against Croatia. And even if that also works eventually Portugal in the knock-out rounds.

So the chance to win the cup is very very low, in my view.

15. scy12

scy12 Deity

Quite true ... Football is a chance to relive the past wars .... Well not really but there is always something interesting that not always has to do with football when for example Greece and Turkey play against.

16. holy king

holy king Deity

karagoonis for the win. i swore to marry him if greece would win the world cup in 2004.
    unfortunately he hasnt answered any of my love e-mails to date and didnt respond to the wrestling action figures i sent him.

17. scy12

scy12 Deity

Well i am sorry for that but i guess that happened because it was impossible for Greece to win the world cup in 2004. Most bookies had them at a 0.000001 chance of doing it. Imagine if they did ?

18. Hitro

Hitro Feistus Raclettus

And then briefly allied with the Germans and those who at the time were Germans, too, during WW2. :yeah:

19. holy king

holy king Deity

oops. :lol:
    you know what i meant. :)

20. TheLastOne36

TheLastOne36 Deity

I hope not, i hope we face the czechs or the swiss in the quarters.

Czechs i have a feeling we can beat, as they know how to play old poland and not new poland, while we still know how to play the czechs. And for the Swiss, just get a draw by 120 minutes, and beat the swiss in penalties. (i still remember the ukraine-switzerland penalty shootout very well. :p)