1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Euro 2008

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by dutchfire, May 16, 2008.

1. kronic

kronic Deity

Well, Podolski moved to Germany when he was 2 (so even before reunification). Hard to say he's Polish.

But Poland weren't playing bad in the second half, controlled in fact the first half of it. Although I'd say that they were outclassed in the end. Germany generated far more chances over the whole match.

Poland - Croatia will be close.

2. holy king

holy king Deity

drunk too?

3. TheLastOne36

TheLastOne36 Deity

He speaks better Polish then German though. And after the match, he was wearing a polish Jersey...

All these migrating poles screwed us up in the end. :lol:

4. dionysos2048

dionysos2048 AntiSarko

Danke schön Deutschland!

5. holy king

holy king Deity

just the match one would expect from them against poland. boring and no problem with winning it. :lol:

6. BirraImperial

BirraImperial Pura Vida!

It was a nice match, Poland did play well at the start of the second half, right after Guerreiro came in. Germany looked "OK" but I was expecting more from Ballack. They improved with Schweinsteiger. The defense looked a bit shaky and Poland looked dangerous most of the time. Lehmann seem a bit insecure right at the start. I think Poland will qualify along with the Germans, Croatia seemed surprisingly weak against Austria, who where really unlucky not to tie the match.
    For tomorrow's games: I'm predicting a 2-0 France victory over Romania and a 0-0 or 1-1 between the Dutch and the Italians. I don't think either of those sides are gonna risk a defeat and thus, they will play with a lot of caution.

7. Rik Meleet

Rik Meleet Top predator Retired Moderator

My impressions on today:
    Austria: Determination, but weak.
    Croatia: technically good, but lazy.
    Germany: Predictable and robotic
    Poland: creative, but incapable.

8. TheLastOne36

TheLastOne36 Deity

i predict 2 -0 for Romania and a draw or some other result in Italy-Netherlands.

I think Romania and Either Italy or the Netherlands makes it out of the group.

9. Hitti-Litti

Hitti-Litti Deity

^

I'll do mine too:

Austria: Better than I expected, can pose a real threat to Poland
    Croatia: Skilled, will most likely put up a better performance against Germany
    Germany: Robotic, predictable, but still damn good
    Poland: Weak, surprisingly weak

10. Mazarin

Mazarin Warlord

stop stalking me, troll ;)

I wonder whether your German is good enough to be able to judge...and having an opponent's shirt after the match isn't that uncommon, is it?
    I do think it was nice he didn't go nuts after his goal: shows that he still has links and respect to Poland. :)

11. Hitro

Hitro Feistus Raclettus

My view on today:

Strangely similar to yesterday. First game an unlucky 0-1 loss for the home team, second a clear and convincing 2-0 win without any extreme brilliance for the favourites.

Austria vs. Croatia: I was massively disappointed by the Croatians, as I said before a team I like. But they did not deserve to win this game. After the (blatantly correct...) penalty they pretty much never started playing. And the second half was atrocious. Austria seemed . .. .. .. . scared at the beginning and needed up to the 60th minute or so to even believe they could do something (which was well possible). As expected their abilities are limited, but not as bad as some - including many Austrians - try to make them. As kronic said Korkmaz should have been brought on earlier. Linz failed completely, too. On the Croat side I wonder how much hype and how much substance there is about Modric. Heard the mircale stories before our (i.e. Werder's ;) ) Champions League qualifiers against Zagreb and again heard them now. In all three matches he was barely seen. Today he even started a couple of dangerous attacks for Austria by losing the ball easily. Well, maybe he does better against Germany.

Germany vs. Poland: bringing on Podolski for Schweinsteiger was a good move by Löw. While the first goal was slightly offside there is no doubt Germany deserved to win that match. As I expected (feared... ;) ) Poland were worse than Germany in all aspects of the game. The defense made some awful mistakes, most notably the one giving away the 2-0. In the attack the Poles lacked people being able to play the final pass, the one leading to a good chance. They had several situations in which something could have been possible but those dried out before there even was a real chance to score a goal. Also the Germans defenders, in particular Mertesacker and Jansen, played quite well. The midfield was dominated by Germany as expected, Poland simply doesn't have the players to counter Ballack and Frings, no matter the quality of Beenhakker.

With regards to the upcoming matches Croatia will have to perform way better if they want to have a chance against Germany. And Austria have a chance against Poland, if they play with the same intensity and belief as they did for the last 30 minutes today.

12. Hitro

Hitro Feistus Raclettus

Well, if Podolski can speak Polish at all it's already better than his German. ;)

13. Sofista

Sofista card-carrying

Have to disagree: who wants to be desperate for points in the third group match? And for us, that means France.

14. Hitro

Hitro Feistus Raclettus

For tomorrow I actually hope for Holland! :yeah:

Never bought into the typically German Holland hate. I like them Dutchs.

Like most people I also would like to see the biggest underdog in many years, Romania, win. However, I don't really think it will happen.

Holland vs. Italy however is a quite open match.

15. kronic

kronic Deity

I hope for Italy to win. Never bought into the Italy hatred.

16. Hitro

Hitro Feistus Raclettus

No hatred either in my case. I just don't like their style.

So if they suddenly swap catenaccio for total football then I might actually hope for them to go all the way. But how likely is that?

17. kronic

kronic Deity

They say, the NL pretty much swapped total football and play pretty boring these days.

18. Hitro

Hitro Feistus Raclettus

Which is fairly true but, well, the game is not yet played and Marco van Basten is a personal favourite player of mine, having been the best striker in the world during the years that formed my love for football.

19. kronic

kronic Deity

We'll see. But given that Robben and van Persie are injured and vdV out of shape (at least judging from his last HSV appearances) I find the Italian attack a lot more impressive.

20. Hitro

Hitro Feistus Raclettus

Well, Toni is the type of striker whose main quality is the killer instinct, the ability to score as much as possible. These types however are at the most danger to turn into massive busts when they have a goal scoring drought. The playing forwards at least still do their part in the offensive game then, but guys like Toni (or - on a much lower level of course - Streller yesterday) pretty much turn into a missing player then.
    It worked extremely well for him at Bayern this year. Maybe it will at the EURO, too. Much depends on how they will play, Italy sure have great individual quality.