Euro 2008

That is indeed one of his qualities. If Toni would have had a phase (i.e. 1.5 years...) like the unnamed striker he wouldn't have contributed anything.

And I always spelled it with SS. Which now seems appropriate.

Don't be so bitter, my Dutch friend.

I was unable to watch any of the games today, but everything looks pretty normal: both Croatia and Germany are clearly better than their opponents today, although according to the reports the croats didn't live up to that.
Yesterday, I was pleasantly surprised with our performance. There were a bunch of question marks surrounding the team, but they played much better than I expected, particularly on the physical aspect and the (relatively untested) midfield chemistry. But against a more powerful team I think we'll have to be more sharp in the defensive pressing when not in possession.

I was unable to watch any of the games today, but everything looks pretty normal: both Croatia and Germany are clearly better than their opponents today, although according to the reports the croats didn't live up to that.
Yesterday, I was pleasantly surprised with our performance. There were a bunch of question marks surrounding the team, but they played much better than I expected, particularly on the physical aspect and the (relatively untested) midfield chemistry. But against a more powerful team I think we'll have to be more sharp in the defensive pressing when not in possession.

Yeah, but minus your usual pessimism your team is really good. Better than Germany in my view.

The Croats however were rather horrible.

Hup Holland!
You should be reading the user comments on the Austrian match at derstandard.at. It's always hilarious to watch the Austrians tearing lumps out of each other.

You should be reading the user comments on the Austrian match at derstandard.at. It's always hilarious to watch the Austrians tearing lumps out of each other.

Yeah, their nationalists really have a significant inferiority complex. Kind of like the Poles, for that matter.

Yeah, their nationalists really have a significant inferiority complex. Kind of like the Poles, for that matter.

Yeah, and those tabloid photoshoped images with Löw's and Ballack's heads were pretty awful. From the artistic pov at least. ;)

Said tabloid is owned by the same company that publishes "Bild" in Germany. 'nough said.

So, for those that watched it today, do you think Austria can nick a point (or 3) against Poland, to the dismay of their "Austria out of the EC" petitioning countrymen?

Yeah, but minus your usual pessimism your team is really good. Better than Germany in my view.

On paper and on the basis of first match performances, I'd say that both our countries' teams will be favourites to meet in one of the semi-finals. If that nice scenario comes to be, we'll hope the teams in the other side of draw (which surely has the two strongest groups) kill each other between now and then and our side's victor collects the spoils. :yeah:

On paper and on the basis of first match performances, I'd say that both our countries' teams will be favourites to meet in one of the semi-finals. If that nice scenario comes to be, we'll hope the teams in the other side of draw (which surely has the two strongest groups) kill each other between now and then and our side's victor collects the spoils. :yeah:

Well, in any case it will be merely one match against merely one of them. So all is possible.

Let's face it on the "first" side of the tournament you have only Portugal and Germany as serious contenders. On the other you don't just have Holland, France, Italy and Spain, but also Russia and the defending champions. Even Romania is not worse than any of the other "first" half teams.

The best thing about "Der Standard" is that they seem to be so "unbedarft" (ingenous). Their football articles are sometimes downright brilliant. And I love their live tickers. Always celebrating every corner as if they won a championship. :)

As for Austria - Poland: I think that the Austrians can get a draw but winning will be difficult as the Poles know how to defend aggressively and you finally need to score in order to win. I'm not sure the Austrians are able to accomplish that. :-/

So, for those that watched it today, do you think Austria can nick a point (or 3) against Poland, to the dismay of their "Austria out of the EC" petitioning countrymen?

Nah, after our horrible match against germany, Beanhacker is going to straighten the squad out, and make them use what beenhacker tought them, instead of going back to old ways, which was how we lost to ecuador.

Austria won't be any match to us i bet. Hopefully Germany beats croatia and we beat croatia after that.

Well, in any case it will be merely one match against merely one of them. So all is possible.

Let's face it on the "first" side of the tournament you have only Portugal and Germany as serious contenders. On the other you don't just have Holland, France, Italy and Spain, but also Russia and the defending champions. Even Romania is not worse than any of the other "first" half teams.

Quite frankly, yeah. :/ And so is Sweden. This draw doesn't look the most balanced, and the decision not to cross groups in the semis is also very bizarre.

What again was the reasoning behind not crossing the groups?

Top Bottom