Euro 2008

So here is the Greek squad of the competition.

Greece
1 Antonios Nikopolidis
2 Giourkas Seitaridis
3 Christos Patsatzoglou
4 Nikolaos Spyropoulos
5 Traianos Dellas
6 Angelos Basinas
7 Georgios Samaras
8 Stylianos Giannakopoulos
9 Angelos Charisteas
10 Georgios Karagounis
11 Loukas Vintra
12 Konstantinos Chalkias
13 Alexandros Tzorvas
14 Dimitrios Salpingidis
15 Vassilios Torosidis
16 Sotirios Kyrgiakos
17 Theofanis Gekas
18 Ioannis Goumas
19 Paraskevas Antzas
20 Ioannis Amanatidis
21 Konstantinos Katsouranis
22 Alexandros Tziolis
23 Nikolaos Liberopoulos
Coach: Otto Rehhagel

All in all we have a better team now than four years ago and we still have the best coach of the competition. I fancy our chances to make a good run. However the fact that we have better players now may bites us in the ass , as it may not allow us to play as we played four years ago. But like i said with the king as the coach there is no fear.

All in all we have a better team now than four years ago and we still have the best coach of the competition. I fancy our chances to make a good run. However the fact that we have better players now may bites us in the ass , as it may not allow us to play as we played four years ago. But like i said with the king as the coach there is no fear.

All in all, it's more or less the same as in 2004. I would have liked to see some fresh talent included with the squad - and actually be given a chance on the field. Then again, Otto won it for us, it is his team, and I guess I should trust his choises.

All in all, it's more or less the same as in 2004. I would have liked to see some fresh talent included with the squad - and actually be given a chance on the field. Then again, Otto won it for us, it is his team, and I guess I should trust his choises.

I don't think there are many players who deserved to take a call to the national team and didn't. (Ok maybe stoltidis.) And there is plenty of fresh blood. I do think that in the qualification games Otto really did much to add new players into the team . (ex Torosidis , Amanatidis got more chances and ofcourse Samaras and Spyropoylos , and i almost forgot patsatsoglou.). Those players successful inclusion to the national team is his doing

All in all there are not much negative one can find for his choices. Although i do think Ninis in the only one who can play the tsiartas 10 role and in some key games his presence would help. Do you share this view ?

Anyway i trust him.

I wouldn't put any money on Greece getting past the group stage myself. Russia, Spain and Sweden are pretty good teams I think. Well, I don't know much about Sweden to be honest.

hiddink is in this time...

I wouldn't put any money on Greece getting past the group stage myself. Russia, Spain and Sweden are pretty good teams I think. Well, I don't know much about Sweden to be honest.

Greece has a better team than Sweden , IMHO. And i am of the , any team can beat any team mentality regarding the other two. I don't think that we have better players than the other two but i believe that it is possible that we can play better against them and win. Do i think it is the most likely scenario ? I don't know , all are very good teams. So i am moderately optimistic.

hiddink is in this time...
Arguable. Hiddink had a more difficult group at qualifications but Rehaghels team broke all the records by getting the most points ever at qualifications with only one defeat. I won't say who is the better coach , only that i trust Rehagel to be a very good one.

Greece has a better team than Sweden , IMHO. And i am of the , any team can beat any team mentality regarding the other two. I don't think that we have better players than the other two but i believe that it is possible that we can play better against them and win. Do i think it is the most likely scenario ? I don't know , all are very good teams. So i am moderately optimistic.

True, anything is possible.

And if I weren't Dutch, I wouldn't put my money on the Netherlands passing the group stage either. But I am Dutch, so I'm quite confident that we will rock!

I think Greece should be able to get out of the group stage, Russia are not very good away from home, the match against Sweden will be the key match for Greece and against Spain, well you never know, but i fancy Spain to go quite far this tournament and win there group.

That is the only player in the entire 23 player selection that I've heard of.

Aufhauser is pretty well known, I guess. Maybe just because the brilliant name, though.

And if I weren't Dutch, I wouldn't put my money on the Netherlands passing the group stage either. But I am Dutch, so I'm quite confident that we will rock!

I follow the same reasoning :) .
However, Italy are slow starters and France is slightly overrated. So, I do think we have a more than decent chance.

Another thing is that the Dutch team hardly ever fails on tournaments. Four semi-finals in the last 5 ECs (one 1/4 final). Once through to the final and victory, twice kicked out by penalty kicks, once kicked by the hosts. The one 1/4 finals was lost on penalties too.

Facts is that it is very very hard to kick the Dutch team out of any EC or WC. That's a fairly neutral conclusion.

Another thing: Most Dutch criticism is about our weak defense. However, according to FACTS we have the best defense we've ever had........ Funny huh?

Another thing: Most Dutch criticism is about our weak defense. However, according to FACTS we have the best defense we've ever had........ Funny huh?

Those "facts" fared pretty poorly in the practice match versus Austria. ;)

To tell you the truth i always consider the Netherlands as one of the strong teams that always succeed to lose against what appears to be a stronger team in the competition. Do they underachieve or is it natural ? Who knows.

However, Italy are slow starters and France is slightly overrated.

Well i consider France among the biggest favorites. The others are Portugal , Italy and Germany and greece , well not really but i like to dream. While for some reason (which one is it actually ?) i don't think that Spain will win it this year.

:)

One of the few things we can actually know for sure, is that Spain will suck big time. It's really the only statistical fact in football: Spain will underperform!

:)

One of the few things we can actually know for sure, is that Spain will suck big time. It's really the only statistical fact in football: Spain will underperform!

England loses on penalties. Holland just loses.

So there are at least three. ;)

By the way, congrats to your marriage! :goodjob:

I think France has the best group of players but Domenech is still an idiot. Maybe the team can pull it off despite that like in 2006 but a comparatively weak start would probably kick them out this time.

Germany is way overrated. The defense has only one stable central defender with Mertesacker, Metzelder is not fit and will likely not be fit until next week. Ballack and Frings are probably the best midfield duo in the world on their positions but besides that the rest of the midfield is nowhere near world class with Schneider old, injured and out. The attack should be decent enough, at least as long as that unnamed Bayern striker won't play.

But he will, which is also why I can't and won't support that team. So I hope for Greece, but guess they can't do it. Well, then Switzerland or the at best second division selection of Austria. :D

Anyway, what is your opinion on Poland getting out of it's group?

I say we should.

we SHOULD win Austria, and Beenhakker is teaching the Polish squad the "Dutch Way" and as we all know, Germany doesn't have the brightest history against the Netherlands...

If we play like the dutch against Germany, and win, then i say we get through to quarters.

But he will, which is also why I can't and won't support that team. So I hope for Greece, but guess they can't do it. Well, then Switzerland or the at best second division selection of Austria. :D
you have a masochistic streak, don't you? :confused:

Not too high. Poland has a decent chance because it is a very easy group but I consider Croatia to be a bit stronger, Germany to be more than a bit stronger and Austria has the home advantage. The Poles could do it but I consider their chances to be below 50%.
and as we all know, Germany doesn't have the brightest history against the Netherlands...
:confused:
If I remember correctly Germany won all matches that mattered against Holland except for that one in 1988.
KaeptnOvi said:
you have a masochistic streak, don't you?
No, I just like the underdogs.

I say we should.

we SHOULD win Austria, and Beenhakker is teaching the Polish squad the "Dutch Way" and as we all know, Germany doesn't have the brightest history against the Netherlands...

If we play like the dutch against Germany, and win, then i say we get through to quarters.

Hi , My local team in Cyprus got in a transfer your old national team striker Zeulakov , Is he any good ? And Sosin is for a fourth time in a row best scorer here. Actually i think after seeing your team play that he was worthy of a call up but he didn't get it because he was playing in Cyprus.

I want to wish you Best of luck but i would actually want you to win if those guys actually played in your team.

England loses on penalties. Holland just loses.

So there are at least three. ;)

By the way, congrats to your marriage! :goodjob:

I think France has the best group of players but Domenech is still an idiot. Maybe the team can pull it off despite that like in 2006 but a comparatively weak start would probably kick them out this time.

Germany is way overrated. The defense has only one stable central defender with Mertesacker, Metzelder is not fit and will likely not be fit until next week. Ballack and Frings are probably the best midfield duo in the world on their positions but besides that the rest of the midfield is nowhere near world class with Schneider old, injured and out. The attack should be decent enough, at least as long as that unnamed Bayern striker won't play.

:lol: Idiot.

Germany is indeed overrated though.

The attack should be decent enough, at least as long as that unnamed Bayern striker won't play.

But he will, which is also why I can't and won't support that team.

alter, you are such a leberwurst... :D miro klose, fußballgott!

Top Bottom