Euro 2016

dutchfire

Deity
Retired Moderator
Thoughts, predictions? Who should I support as an unqualified Dutchman?

Can't wait for England to be outstandingly mediocre as always.

Would you feel dirty supporting Belgium?

I guess either France or Spain will win it, although I support Ze Germans as usual...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I feel a little differently than the betting markets seem to feel; it's pretty clear that France, Germany and Spain are the favorites, but I would have them in the reverse order with not much between Spain and Germany. Spain looks rather in form, though they did just beat up on a bunch of relative minnows in qualifying. If I were the betting type (which I'm not), Belgium's odds look pretty long relative to their actual chances.

As for who to cheer for - what are you looking to get out of it? If you just want to win, pick a favorite and jump on board the bandwagon. If you're looking for a story, pull for something entertaining like Wales putting England out at the group stage and then going on a run in the knockout stages.

France are the favourites for me to win it. Some quality players and home support.

The German squad isn't bad abilitywise though the lack of decent full backs and strikers may just be too much this time around. I also fear that Löw may be playing Schweinsteiger even when he's unfit since he's the captain. That wouldn't be smart. Over the past two years, the team's play has been pretty mediocre. It may be some sort of World Cup hangover but the performances have been disappointing on average, to be honest.

I think France will do well, and Spain and Germany usually do well, but I think they will falter a bit when it counts this time around. Belgium looks strong, Italy looks weak, and who knows what's going to happen with England..

Croatia and Albania could do alright, not sure if I would label them as a "dark horse" candidate or whatever. Austria might be in the same boat. Poland has a very strong team, but I am biased, and we are a bit lacking in defence, which might hurt us.

I feel a little differently than the betting markets seem to feel; it's pretty clear that France, Germany and Spain are the favorites, but I would have them in the reverse order with not much between Spain and Germany. Spain looks rather in form, though they did just beat up on a bunch of relative minnows in qualifying. If I were the betting type (which I'm not), Belgium's odds look pretty long relative to their actual chances.

Belgium could very well be the dark horse of this tournament. And their odds to win outright are pretty good all things considered. I think Germany is still in World Cup hangover mode and that is going to cost them this time. It's either France, Spain or Belgium for me...

I think France will do well, and Spain and Germany usually do well, but I think they will falter a bit when it counts this time around. Belgium looks strong, Italy looks weak, and who knows what's going to happen with England..

Croatia and Albania could do alright, not sure if I would label them as a "dark horse" candidate or whatever. Austria might be in the same boat. Poland has a very strong team, but I am biased, and we are a bit lacking in defence, which might hurt us.

If Austria had 10 Alaba's and a decent goal keeper, I'd rate them as the clear tournament favourites.

The cup starts today :) France VS Romania. I've placed a 20 euro bet for a draw ... 4/1 odds. Let's see what happens.

I think it could be a draw as well...Romania only conceded 2 goals during the qualifying games...My wager is for only a couple of bucks though...

France wins Romania 3-0 my prediction. :)

Looking forward for tomorrow's England - Russia.
I'm rooting for Sweden and England.

Germany is easily one of the best teams, I think Spain has lost the magic..

What a goal by Payet!
France 2 Romania 1 in the opener.
Too bad for Romania, they were surprisingly good.

Yeah, great goal. But the ref imho won the match for France.

Think England might do surprisingly well. I'm not very high on Spain (this time)
Some eastern/southern teams, like: Czechs, Slovakia, Russia, Poland, Croatia look capable of reaching quarterfinals.
Belgium could be dark horse and get into semis, watch out for Wales.
Overall though, most likely:
France vs Germany in the final.

And tonight, red warnings everywhere !
The two most hooligans-prone teams (England vs Russia) will compete in the most "difficult" city of the country (Marseille).
Bets are that there will be more contests outside the football ground than on it :p

England shot themselves in the foot with that last-gasp equalizer by Russia...

Top Bottom