Eurogamer Review 21/09

Well, but what can be officially seen now is the dumb AI. I read that in many different reviews now. That's a bit sad, but in the end not dramatic.

I friggin love Eurogamer reviews, then again my favorite reviewer is Yahtzee, EG is pretty "light" compared to him :) This article is really well written and you can tell its created by someone who loves Civ, but if you love it you need to hurt it aswell.

Tom Chick and Eurogamer are my two review sources that I take seriously and that I feel have credibility. They also happen to be the only once so far that actually mention issues in more detail. In the past few months I have often mentioned my AI concerns (removal of stack of doom makes it much harder for the AI, and the AI in this franchise was never excellent in the first place), and I'm disappointed that this seems to have been a justified worry.

I'll still buy it (well, pre-ordered it anyway) and hope for patches or mods, but I do think that this installment of the series won't be considered the best. It's "more accessible" (read: dumbed down), built for DLC, and the AI appears to be worse even than before. Oh well. I'll still waste hundreds of hours on the game. :)

An 8 seems harsh based on the review. He loved the changes but hates the basic Civilization concept of doing nothing for turns and the AI, which it seems people only complain about when they're getting attacked. I do agree that having nothing to do between turns can be boring. That just solidifies my stance that these games benefit from events, random or otherwise, of some sort. They add flavor to the games. And then for people who don't like them, there can be an option to turn them off like in Civ4. But I'd like to see more frequent random events than Civ4 had, and more interesting ones. Maybe even events that branch out to different events later on based on the choices you make.

I friggin love Eurogamer reviews, then again my favorite reviewer is Yahtzee, EG is pretty "light" compared to him :) This article is really well written and you can tell its created by someone who loves Civ, but if you love it you need to hurt it aswell.

Zero Punctuation is for entertainment purposes first, review second. While he does often hit upon many good points about the game he is reviewing, using ZP as your source for reviews is foolish.

I do love them though.

Top Bottom