1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

#Euromaidan and #DANSwithMe - discussion on protests in Eastern Europe

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by AvalancheMaster, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

Okay, so it's been Domen'd and Avalanche Master'd. Anybody else like to come and just barf all over history while we're playing this game?

Moderator Action: If you have nothing to say about a post, then don't just target the posters. This is both trolling and spam. Please avoid such posts in the Chamber (and CFC more generally).
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

2. AvalancheMaster

AvalancheMaster Not the face of mercy.

Should've noted that it's my personal opinion, but I damn fail to see how somebody can view Marx as a non-racist.

3. Traitorfish

It's not an incorrect statement. But it's not a very informative one. It doesn't actually tell us anything substantial about Marx as an historical figure, just that he wouldn't do very well at a 21st century dinner party.

Although, I'll give you credit for not following Domen down Conspiracy Theory Lane. That's some special crazy right there.

4. AvalancheMaster

I am, indeed, guilty of ad hominem attacks on Karl Marx. However, there's no ad hominem in saying the same thing about Che. Marx was a theorist that did not include this part of his personal believes in his philosophy. Che, on the other hand, did not only include them but put them to practice as well.

5. Traitorfish

I've no investment in the Guevara mythology.

6. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

Good grief, no! I don't defend anti-semitism under any conditions whatsoever. Whatever might have given you the impression that I do?

Strictly speaking, I'm not a leftist. But since you seem to think I might be an anti-semite, I can excuse you thinking I might be a leftist too.

Honestly, though, I think you've got a rather mistaken impression about me. To put it extremely mildly.
    Well, there were many in Spain, I'm sure of it.

I'm sure much of what you say is correct.

But are you really sure the Middle Ages didn't extend to the C15th? Because my sources say they did. (Though no one knew it at the time.)

Specifically to the fall of Byzantium.

It is very close, I'll admit.

7. Tahuti

Tahuti Writing Deity

The Spanish anti-semitism was sort of the turning point in the history of anti-semitism that Jewishness was an inherited "condition". AFAIK, it was unprecedented.

8. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

Oh. OK.

9. Domen

Domen Misico dux Vandalorum

I'm not surprised that Spanish Anti-Semitism was different than in other places.

The Spanish Inquisition was also unique compared to all other inquisitions.

10. Traitorfish

Yes, boo to bad, Spanish anti-Semitism, not at all like good, Polish anti-Semitism.

11. Tahuti

Tahuti Writing Deity

Polish anti-semitism is of best anti-semitism!

Spain cannot into good anti-semitism.

12. Winner

Winner Diverse in Unity

I am amazed by how much I understand of what they're saying. Recently I've been comparing Czech, Ukrainian, Polish and Slovak words/phrases with a group of people from all these countries and to my huge surprise I found that Czech has a lot in common with Ukrainian, sometimes more than Polish.

13. Tahuti

Tahuti Writing Deity

Beware of false friends. I've heard that Slavic languages are rife with words that may sound similar but have totally different meanings. It is comparable to the French word Maintenant, which may - you might think - have something to do with maintenance, except that it means 'now'.

14. AvalancheMaster

Not to mention how often a perfectly normal word in one Slavic language means something completely obscene in another.

BACK ON THE TOPIC

The Klichko Brothers' party "Udar" ("Hit") is now not only backing up protests in Ukraine, but also providing protesters with hot food. Protesters have occupied Kiev's town hall and are using it as a headquarters. There's a kitchen, a sleeping hall, and even a number of doctors situated in it. Regardless of the occupation, the people are quite respectful and even have put signs "take off your shoes and hat when entering the building".

15. red_elk

red_elk Deity

"Kuritsa" (chicken) and "spichki" (matches) in Russian, have obscene meanings in Serbian. Also "pravo" (right) means "go straight".

Xpost :)

16. Winner

Winner Diverse in Unity

They are, we're well aware of that (especially Serbo-Croatian is hilariously full of words which are pretty offensive in Czech, chief of them being pića :lol: ).

Which is what makes it even more interesting to compare the vocabulary. I expected this to be the case with Ukrainian, but was surprised that we actually use a lot of words in the same meaning as them. Which is weird, considering the separation between the two nations in geography and culture. I have a suspicion some of them are recent (19th century) borrowings by the Czech Revivalists.

17. Tahuti

Tahuti Writing Deity

It would be weird to borrow from Ukrainian, since Ukrainians are actually the Slavs who deny that they are. Usually, die-hard Ukrainian nationalists will say that they are Scandinavian or something.

18. gay_Aleks

gay_Aleks communism will win.

Am I the only one who can't resist saying "speaking of people who deny that they are something else... " and get this thread even worsely Poland'ed?

19. AvalancheMaster

No, I'll mention that Tengri-Nationalists (yea, we also have pagan nazis) in Bulgaria claim that Bulgarians are neither Slavic nor Turk but Iranian. Go figure.

20. gay_Aleks

gay_Aleks communism will win.

Jesus, those exist? I shouldn't be surprised, actually; the face of the Nationalists is named Boryan Rasate, which is the name of a Medieval Bulgarian ruler who attempted to bring back Paganism after we were converted into Orthodoxy.