1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Europa Europa: European Empires Mod

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Modpacks' started by ArbitraryGuy, Nov 30, 2005.

1. Gunner

Gunner Emperor

Yeah, there will be some issues for the graphics. Especially for the war wagon. But thats fine I think, its more important to choose good units and balance them well than worry about the graphics. They will come with time if the mod is sucessful.

I'm going to start coming up with values for the units now I think. One thing I want to have discussed is that I think the musketman should be increased to strength 10. Anything I post up will be based upon that assumption.

2. woodelf

woodelf Bard

Terrific job tabulating all of that Gunner. Do you need new skins or are there enough made already?

3. Gunner

Gunner Emperor

I'm almost certain that we're going to need new skins. I haven't really looked into the graphics at all. I know there are a bunch of great looking knight skins around that we could use. I'm going to try and come up with some values before I deal with the graphics.

Anyone that wants to gather graphics is welcome to :)

4. woodelf

woodelf Bard

I normally have more free time during work....:mischief: so I'll look around the board tomorrow. Sometimes just having a new name and values makes all of the difference though.

5. bluevti

bluevti Chieftain

Great civ mod, one question... is there a way to play the 18 civ scenario in two player mode (via hotseat, or direct ip?). I couldnt find a way to load the map into the multiplayer options..

Cheers,

Andy

6. Bill3000

Bill3000 OOOH NOOOOOOO! Supporter

Small error in the expanded mod - playing as the Byzantine Empire at the start, I have four tiles explored at the beginning of the game near Britain.

7. tHebUm

tHebUm Chieftain

I like this mod a lot and had a great time with my first game on the older version. Great time, came out with a score of 15,000+ with the Ottoman Empire.

So, I DLed EE3 because more Civs is great in my opinion. I also enjoy longer games so I put it on marathon. It was going great I was the Scottish and conquered the English straight off and had six strong cities on England. Later I expanded to take in all of Ireland as well (two cities). I had a good sized Empire compared to most of the cramped continental European Civs.

Anyway, so I'm in good shape... discovered Catholicism and almost every city had it so I was making +60 a turn with 100% science... basically thoroughly enjoying the game. However, then the turn timer pops up. I guess the game ends at 1000A.D. This is pretty disappointing since no scaling was done with the time to turn ratio so that basically even though on Marathon it seems to have ended in only a few hundred turns that it takes to get to 1000A.D.

It's good to have it not able to get all the techs since modern era is a bit weird for a much earlier era mod, but I hope you can adjust the times so that if you choose marathon it has all 600 or whatever turns before 1000A.D. so you get the proper chosen time. I imagine this'll be fixed, but just stating it was mildly annoying.

One other small gripe is the map size, with 18 Civs Europe is packed on the current map. Some Civs only get 1-2 cities total before running out of room. Then some Civs have an abundance of room. Is there a possibility of there being a larger map made in the future for the 18 Civ version? Maybe a Huge map size of only Europe could make a more spacious and overall (IMO) fun environment. Seems like it's extremely cramped anywhere except the Civs in England, Russia, Turkey, or Spain/N. Africa regions.

Beyond those two things, I love the mod and look forward to more specific Tech Trees and all the other things you plan to add :).

8. pason

pason Chieftain

yes it's annoying that game only last for 500 turns (I think). I edited the civ4GameSaved file and changed the value to 5000, far more fun.

9. Barak

Barak Emperor

@ Gunner
    Great work on the UUs, they really are coming along nicely. I think the danes and sweeds should both have a boat and land UU. Berserker or Huskarl would work.

Also, is seems we are only talking about UUs for the 18civ version. Will the 10 civ version also get all the UUs? Since the Austrians were replaced with the Hungarians will they get their UUs?

Been playing a great game using Austria in the 10 civ version on Prince. Vienna is the center of Christendom and my civ was expanding peacefully conquering barbarian cities and absorbing culturally challenged foreign cities (I've had three culture flips). Just when my Swords and Horse were taking Belgrade the French attacked! (Silly French)

With macemen coming soon the valiant defenders of the Austrian city of Venice fought to the last falling before the French invading swordsmen. With French Horse approaching Vienna (coming through Germany) Austrian Spears and Axes stood ready to defend in the Alps to the west of the city.

With the announcement that the Austrian army was turning in their axes and swords for maces, the King’s army was prepared to throw back the French, retake Venice and carve a small piece of France out as an Austrian colony.

Needless to say, the weak French military technology was no match for the awesome strength of the Austrian city smashers. Venice was retaken easily, and while Spears and cross bows defended the northern homeland, the valiant macemen, horse archers and longbowmen marched through northern Italia to prepare the French invasion. With the settlement of the city of Milano (actual location of Milan, but Italy had already created Milan where Genoa is) the stage was set for a French invasion.

When all was said and done, 4 French cities fell to my level 5 Maces and the great Austrian culture expanded into Gaul.

At the dawn of the 15th century the great and glorious Austrian Homeland stretched from Southern Gaul, through North and Central Italia (small war with Italy to claim Rome and Milan (changed to Genoa) and as far south as the Adriatic.

With peace in the world, my garrisons were prepared for anything. First in points I sit atop Europe’s list of great nations with my friends Peter and Jan in the East and my ally Gustav to the north.

But what is Isabella doing in the west…..is she marshalling her armies for an invasion?

10. davbenbak

davbenbak Lackey

@gunner

Just adding my two cents on your UU's. Having played the French a few times, I don't think it would be good idea to have their UU's with iron as a required resource. Lack of iron in France, at least on this map, makes one hurry to research gunpowder. A better choice might be the Grenadier as well as the included Musketeer who better represent the forces of Louis XIV and Napoleon.

11. Drogear

Drogear Prince

Great mod! But plz fix the time limit when playing on marathon speed? I get the 100 turns left in 400AD!.

12. davbenbak

davbenbak Lackey

Here's my three cents worth on UU's for the 10 civs on the original map. To make the modding easy I figured I use existing UU's.

England - (Longbow and Ironclad) England should have some kind of naval UU and the ironclad would represent early dreadnaughts
    Austria - (Grenadier)
    Germany - (Machine Gunner and Panzer) Oil is not plentiful and only giving them the panzer might mean not getting a UU.
    France - (Redcoat) might have to reduce the stats to somewhere between musket and rifleman, will have to play test
    Spain - (Conquistador) though really a reconquistador in this mod
    Russia - (Cossack)
    Ottoman - (Samurai) best match for Jannissary
    Sweden - (Musketman) for Gustavus Adolphus mobile shot and pike formations
    Poland - (Keshik) for winged knights
    Italy - (?) this is the tough one. I was thinking both Caravel and Fast worker or Cho-Ko-Nu to represent Condottieri mercenaries.

This is more for my personal use but am open to suggestions and comments. I could post this as a patch after some play testing if there is any interest.

13. BORNAparte

BORNAparte Chieftain

The best Civ4 mod that I ever played. Thanks.

14. woodelf

woodelf Bard

I would gladly check this out after you get it how you like it. Although I love the 18 civ version I'm finding it too crowded and may go back to playing 10. Maybe we need a 14 civ version as an in between. :)

15. ArbitraryGuy

ArbitraryGuy Rusty Shackleford?

You can easily do this yourself. Open the .Civ4WorldBuilderSave files with notepad and change the line "MaxTurns=460" (normal speed) to "MaxTurns=5000" like was suggested above.

16. BRIXIACOLONIA

BRIXIACOLONIA Chieftain

About Italy the best choice could be Bersaglieri (elite infantry with great mobility - Italian Wars of Independence, Crimea War, WWI, WWII): a Rifleman with mobility increased by one, or Alpini (elite mountain troops - WWI, WWII): an Infantry with hill combat promotion.

17. Badmojo

Badmojo Chieftain

Just as Cool a small tiny country of 5mil people can have the second largest fleet in the world!!:eek:

and your right it was because denmark choose neutral, that the english feared france would take to danish navy by force or that denmark would give it to france, which would make france the largest strongest navy in the world!!
    to a quick tour to copenhagen a bit bombing and wupti, the navy was given away :mad:

@gunner

i agree on giving DK both viking UU's since this will simulate the strong status DK had back then, but DK also need other threats since creative?! doesn't fit DK in ANY way, they need
    FINANCIAL (DK was rich on seatrade!! viking whre really merchents not warriors, and the fact that DK doesn't have as much land so they need to get more money out of the sea!)
    Expansive (cause of the faster haubor and granery and the +2health)

18. Gunner

Gunner Emperor

Ok here is my preliminary list of ideas for the UU statistics. It was pretty difficult to differentiate between some of them, so try to be understanding :)

The format is (strength, movement, cost)
    Go here http://www.civfanatics.com/civ4/info/units/ to compare these values with the standard Civ 4 units. Oh and did this list under the idea that regular musketmen would be increased to a strength of 10.

19. Gunner

Gunner Emperor

@davenback
    I haven't been keeping a separate list for the 10 civ version because I think it should be pretty easy to transfer down once the 18 version is done. Thats good that you're doing a smaller scale thing for the 10 civ now since the list I came up with is going to take a little while before its operational.

@V Soma
    Could you please come up with some bonus for the Szekely since I know nothing about them?

@badmojo
    I don't know why the Danes are creative. Thats not my area, I'm just UU's. I agree with you that AG should change it though.

20. Heav

Heav Warlord

@Gunner:
    Jannisary: Bonus vs mounted would be better than bonus vs meele.
    Hussite Infantry: Bigger bonus vs mounted but only 1 first strike or none first strikes.