Europa Europa: European Empires Mod

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Modpacks' started by ArbitraryGuy, Nov 30, 2005.

1. Nachos

Nachos SEMPER IDEM

dude, that is some major mixing of history :eek:
    i humbly suggest that you take a look in the history book again :mischief:

2. Gunner

Gunner Emperor

Yeah, I had thought that the war where Sweden crossed over the frozen ice was later than Gustav Vasa. But the overall idea is correct I believe, that Sweden's dominance was mainly due to its quality of land troops rather than the navy.

3. V. Soma

V. Soma long time civ fan

Hungarian UU - Szekely

This unit represents the early middle ages special horse unit.
    It should be fast, with good withdrawal ability.
    They could aim fine while on the move, so maybe a bonus against other horses?

Or how about only a move bonus together with the high withdrawal?

Should it come with same tech as normal horse archer?
    Then strength is 6, I guess... and maybe a 3 move, cost normal or slightly above that.

4. V. Soma

GA, may I try to make a redrawing of map of the Carpathian Basin?

I would do it, and then send a jpg-picture of it, showing the changes.

I would try to make Lake Balaton 2 tiles wide, and arrange the hills and forests around it.
    Also I would like to deal with plains and grass,
    and would like to erase that "south" wine and have that as "Tokaj" in the north, ca. 5 tiles up.
    Also, I am not sure about some mountain/hills tiles.

I have a question:

In the World Builder how to make a river go vertical? And continuous?
    Please teach me about "river", I could not deal with it in the WB...

5. engeljakob

engeljakob Chieftain

i want to try it but i uninstalled my civ4 game!!!!!!!!!!

6. HolyOne

HolyOne Chieftain

I think Huszárs should get a bonus vs. mounted rather than withdrawal. They were known to fight hard. Withdrawal bonus suits more the székely unit. I agree with V. Soma that they should get either a movement or a withdrawal bonus, or both.

7. V. Soma

The more I am thinking about the Szekely unit, the more I am in favour of giving it a 3 move...
    and maybe a slightly higher than normal withdrawal, maybe 20%?

And yes, hussars should fight fiercely :)

Now, the WB, river:

I realize I have to click to have a starting tile and then once more
    to have an ending tile...
    But how to determine the horizontal-vertical inbetween the two points?
    Or, aha, is it so that the horizontal is always down,
    and the vertical is always the right edge of the tile?

Well, in the afternoon I shall see more clearly...

AG, I love maps, if I have the time and passion,
    I will check all Europe - may I do that?
    But the land of Hungary definitely needs some more polishing...

8. HolyOne

HolyOne Chieftain

When you do the polishing you may put a cow to the Hortobágy (tudod: szürkemarha ;) ). And maybe we can convince AG to put one tiny, little gold source in the mountains, because Hungary is not in the geographical position to colonize, but gold made her a major power in the 14-15th century.

9. V. Soma

Before putting cow (marha :)) and gold - first let's wait AG's response :)

10. woodelf

woodelf Bard Retired Moderator

Not that I've tried it yet, but couldn't you simply add the cow (or gold) via Worldbuilder and then resave the map as a different scenario name for your own personal use? That way you get what you feel is histroically accurate and AG doesn't have to worry about mini patches just yet.

11. V. Soma

hey, this would be a small addition and I can wait till it gets into the game (if) when due time, together with a further polished map

12. Gladi

Gladi The ignored thread killer

Bright day
    I think the map is good enough as it is. In real world every modern country has at least minute or not so minute acces to some strategic resource. My own country too has had large silver deposits and fair share od coal. Plus we have failry large deposits of Uranium. And you know there's bauxit too. And we raise cattle, and we have...

We need to think in context of whole of Europe and that lack of resources is favorite cause of war- and that we want, no?

Oh and Gunner: I just noticed that France cannot go around beating everybody else in Napoleonic Wars... is that good?

13. Badmojo

Badmojo Chieftain

ur right it was another king gustav not wasa...

sorry if i'm wrong in the histery, i wrote at 0300 o'clock :crazyeye:
    but if i'm wrong please tell me where insteed of just sending me back to the books, i don't wanna read up and swedish histery and a really don't care about (no offence) i was just trying to find a good UU for sweden since the danish UU's where easy enough :)

14. V. Soma

Yes, I kind of agree with that...

Then only moving the wine up to Tokaj and map polishing

15. Barak

Barak Emperor

I am in favor of the high licklyhood of withdrawl, but a movement of 3 is too much since no unit moves three spots till gunships.

16. V. Soma

I can accept it - maybe 3 moves is too much.
    Then wthdrawal: 40%?

I leave it up to Gunner, I am pretty sure he has lots of thinking involved
    in this UU issue, considering balance and all :)

17. Barak

Barak Emperor

It is the dawn of the 17th century at Europe is at peace. The great armies of the Austrian Empire are at rest occupying Rome, enjoying the food, the culture and the hospitality of the Roman Italians. The Greek barbarians have been defeated and the Austrian cultural borders have expanded causing the German city of Cologne to declare itself for the Empire. Austria sits atop the list of great nations of Europe, but the peace was all to short lived…

News from the west brings word of a coming storm. As word reaches Vienna of Isabella’s declaration of war the Spanish horse archers can be seen from the lookout points in the alps. As the garrisons of Genoa and Oxford (a former English colony taken by the French before falling to Austria) ready themselves for defense, the Austrian infantry scrambles to bring itself north from central Italy.

Within a short time (3 turns) the valiant Alpine longbows and crossbows of Austria hold their ground, taking few casualties as the maces knights and pikes of Austria arrive to defend the Alpine territories.

Through years of war, which brought about new advances in warfare: namely gunpowder, the veterans of the Austro-Spanish war defended the Alpine passes and cities driving back the Spanish horde. Bringing their friends Sweden, Poland and Russia into the war, Austria was able to convince the Spanish their imperialist expansion was for nought, and while the ink was still wet on the peace treaty, a new threat was rising in the east…..the Ottomans.

The year is 1670. The great Austrian infantry is in the Alps, and the Ottoman horse archers and swords cross into Austrian territory at Thessaloniki. While the Austrian Cavalry storms into the area the Austrian people brace themselves for a continued state of war!

18. V. Soma

Quite a story there, Barak! :goodjob:

19. pason

pason Chieftain

Barak > Now I really want to leave work for the day and have a civ session. I'll continue as the scots from yesterday. I now control the whole Uk including Ireland as well as the little Island NE of Scotland (future oil). Europe is catholic apart from Ottoman, Hungary and Poland. having a few galleys in the English channel to transfer my knights to France. And from France they go all the way to Poland which decalred war on me. Now I have Danzig(?) as a base where my knights heal for the next Pole city to take... Wonderful evening :)

20. ArbitraryGuy

ArbitraryGuy Rusty Shackleford?

@V. Soma
    Unfortunatley, I have less and less time to put towards this mod. I've begun work on another and have very brutal semester at school. You should add the changes yourself, because another patch is not going to be forthcoming in the near future. If you want to make massive changes to the map, I could post the new scenarios on the front page for everybody to find easily, as I will do with the UU patch.

@Barak
    Great story!