Europa Europa: European Empires Mod

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Modpacks' started by ArbitraryGuy, Nov 30, 2005.

1. Barak

Barak Emperor

There are times when I play that I allow the AI to determine my strategy. I believe Austria's next action will be a holy Crusade against the Islamic Ottoman empire.

Perhaps there will be another chapter in our story later today or tomorrow...

2. V. Soma

V. Soma long time civ fan

AG, I have begun a full check of the map.
    Today I polished Hungary and the Danube to the Black Sea.
    I plan to go thorugh all Europe.

I will not alter resources, that is, the number and the kind of them.
    Only I will push them a tile, if neeeded because of terrain change.

I also write a change log.

What should I then do with the map?

3. Gunner

Gunner Emperor

@our resident Hungarians :)
    By giving the Hussars higher withdraw chance I was simulating somthing about them being light units which could use hit and run tactics, not something about them not fighting hard. The main reason really is that it is fairly hard to come up with unique bonuses for every unit. If you think it would be better to give the Hussars a mounted bonus then I will probably switch their values with the Cossaks. The list I have written down at home is broken down by unit type rather than country so I really have tried to make each unit actually unique.

I also opted to give the Szekely a 40% withdraw. I agree with whoever said ealier that 3 movement is overpowered. I always thought it was so stupid in Civ3 how the fastest unit in the game was cavalry. If anything it should be tanks with 3 movement.

@Gladi
    I think the French should do pretty well with their Cuirassier UU for the Napoleonic wars. It is a match for any infantry unit except for the Redcoat which it is exactly equal to strength-wise when they fight eachother. The Redcoat gets defensive bonuses but the Cuirassier gets to move twice. The only units the Cuirassier should ever be favored to lose against are Cossaks and Winged Hussars. If anything I think they may be overpowered.

The format is (strength, movement, cost)
    Go here http://www.civfanatics.com/civ4/info/units/ to compare these values with the standard Civ 4 units. I did this list under the idea that regular musketmen would be increased to a strength of 10.

4. sapon

sapon Chieftain

Are the Religious Shrines supposed to give you +1 gold for EVERY CITY in the game that has your religion (Including Foreign Cities?!) If not something is bugged in the Catholic shrine code.

5. Gunner

Gunner Emperor

Yeah, thats how the shrines work in vanilla Civ4 too :)

6. deivi

deivi Chieftain

Hello,
    Sorry for my English. I much likes the game civlization 4 and want to give them thanks to the designers of mods.
    But I want to comment on a topic, in the new one mod Europe 3.1 there is a small historical mistake, in the Kingdom of Aragon, the capital was Barcelona and not Zaragoza, since the Count of Barcelona (Jaime I) was the king of Aragon and the capital of Aragon, the Catalan counties, Valencia and Majorca was Barcelona. Thank you

7. ArbitraryGuy

ArbitraryGuy Rusty Shackleford?

@V. Soma
    I sent you an email, but got an error... you can just upload the changes as an attachment in this thread.

@deivi
    What I read claimed the captial of Aragon to be Zaragoza. I'm sorry if I've offended your Catalan pride ;).

8. passon

passon Chieftain

Hello ArbitraryGuy. Downloaded your mod yesterday, and really looked forward to play it. But for some reason the game wont start. (Haven´t read the whole of this, long, thread, so I dont know if anyonelse have the same problem.) Heres what happens:
    I load the mod, I choose the scenario (original) - all OK.
    When I get to pick my civ I can only choose between Germany, Russia, France and Italy...
    Then when the game has loaded it says its all over. Before I get the chance of doing anything it goes to the score-screens.
    I have the 1.52 patch installed. Your mod is the only one I have installed, and I doublechecked your installation information. Everything is where it should be.

Dont know if you can help me, but thought you should know.

The mod looks really cool, by the way.

9. Zuul

Zuul Mod lister!

Isnt this unit worse than an axeman with +50% against melee? Maybe at least add +25%.

10. Rey

Rey Chieftain

I studied Catalan history too, and I don't remember that Jaume I moved the capital from Zaragoza to Barcelona.

However every monarch was King of Aragon AND Count of Barcelona.

Then Jaume I conquered Mallorca and Valencia.

11. Barak

Barak Emperor

Gunner--

Does the Tercio have less advantage vs mounted than the regular pike as a result of its increased strength?

12. Badmojo

Badmojo Chieftain

@Gunner

i strongly second that and agresive nation with barracks will build better troops then the most feared nation in that period ( in north eu :rolleyes: )

Also concerning the Drakeship, it is kinda strange that Denmark in 1200-ish defeated a venetian navy four times it size???
    The drake ships need to be stronger!!!!
    it is ok that byzantien gallyes are strong since there isn't really any batlles between vikings and byzantiens whorth talking about but they did go nuts on the venetians
    may i (and zuul) suggest :

Denmark:
    Berserker [axeman] (6, 1, 40) amphibious +25% vs Melee or acher
    Drakeship [galley] (2, 3, 40) 3 cargo

either way how you tweak the axeman/viking he should be stronger then a normal axeman born in a agresive city with barracks, but i like the amphi:goodjob:
    also IF the venetian galley shall be stronger make it come later then the drakeship in that way the viking can rule the darkagae and the early middleage, and the venetians can rule from the early midlle ages.... like in real life :D

anyway good job on all the UU's :goodjob:

@AG

may i humly suggest:

Denmark has creative which doesn't quite fit denmark, they need
    FINANCIAL (DK was rich on seatrade!! viking whre really merchents not warriors, and the fact that DK doesn't have as much land so they need to get more money out of the sea!)
    Expansive (cause of the faster haubor and granery and the +2health)

:goodjob:

13. EoE

EoE Chieftain

I love this mod! Just finished a game as Isabella, and I'm wondering about one thing: How do I actually win? I finished my spaceship, and I won the diplomatic victory, but the game continues as if nothing happened. What gives?

rgds/EoE

14. Aede

Aede Chieftain

first i want to thanks AG for his great job

about units and especially calvalry units :
    i dont want to be chauvinistic but as we can see in another video game (cossacks2) the most powerfull cavalry unit is "Cuirassier", the less "cossacks"

but the bonus percentage are pretty good

all the mod is very goood also :D

15. Gunner

Gunner Emperor

@badmojo, Zuul about the axeman
    I'm so sorry about that axeman problem. I just forgot to put the 50% melee bonus up there. You see the list I have written down at home just lists the differences between the UU and the regular one since I know the regular ones by memory. Thats fixed now. Tell me if there are any more I forgot to change. I'm going to look through the list again too.

Edit: There were actually quite a few mistakes in there. Might want to check it again. Sorry about that. The Needle Gunner was supposed to be just 15% mounted all along.

@badmojo
    I think the drakeship already recieves some pretty good bonuses by getting an extra move and extra cargo. Maybe I'll give it some free strikes.

@Barak
    Yes the tercio's mounted bonus is put down on purpose. (Not another mistake there ;)) It still is actually better against mounted units with a value of 14.5 versus the 12 that regular pikeman get.

@Aede
    I'm really sorry but I don't quite understand what you're trying to say. I understand how difficult it is to speak in foreign languages, don't worry about it. Is it something that you think the Cuirassier should be more powerful? As I explained on the last page I think, the Cuirsassier should win against all but one of the gunpowder units. Since by that stage gunpowder units are the most common units being used I would say that it is a pretty powerful ability.

16. Felyx

Felyx Chieftain

I like this mod, it is very fun! :)
    But, I like to play all my games on conquest/domination victory settings without having a turn limit or space race etc. I know about going into single player/custom game and setting victory conditions there, but that doesn't help. In Europa Europa you can do single player/custom game but cannot load the map that it should be played on.

Is there some way of changing the victory conditions of the scenario file?

17. sharick

sharick Warlord

There is a way. You should open the map file: Europa Europa 3 - Expanded Scenario.Civ4WorldBuilderSave and manually change it. In your case you should just delete other victory conditions.
    Btw you can also change other settings. I for example like to disable the barbs and tech trading.

18. Gladi

Gladi The ignored thread killer

Bright day Gunner
    Two units- Scottish Highlander is actually favoured over cuirassier :). Well still being one of the five is not as bad as knights get.

19. Crash757

Crash757 King

AG, could u plz post a minimap screenie with all civ starting locations ? :) I just need it for planning more accurate expansion :cool:

20. Barak

Barak Emperor

The winds of war have wrapped Europe in its warm embrace.

With peace on the western front, the valiant and victorious Austrian Infantry begins the long march to the east, where the Austrian Cavalry, newly trained at Vienna’s war academy begin the defense of the Greek states.

Ottoman knights and siege engines have laid siege to Thessaloniki and Belgrade but have yet to destroy the cities’ defenses. Our friends the Polish and Russians have vowed to help destroy the enemy of the faith the ottoman while the Swedes have given monetary support to the cause. It is believed that the ottoman thought they could catch the greatest nation in Europe unprepared, but they were wrong.

1685 has brought the newly trained Cavalry units to the Greek cities, where they plan the attack into the heart of darkness, Ottoman Europe. While the Austro-Spanish war was seen by the Austrian general staff as a defensive campaign against a worthy yet misguided foe, the Ottoman empire must be taught a lesson, and the word of Catholicism must be spread to their lands.

1690 word has reached Vienna of the treachery of Napoleon! Even while the Spanish forces continue their long march back through French territory to Iberia, the French leader has declared war, attempting to reclaim the lands which have thrived under Austrian rule. The Veterans of the Alpine War, as it is called in the former French lands, stand ready to repel the French offensive, and with aid from England vow to crush Napoleon and extend the Austrian Empire to the Atlantic Ocean!

Even now Austrian knights, recently retrained in the use of the rifle, heavy mace infantry, pike and siege engines march on Orleans and Paris herself. Never again will Napoleon threaten the peace of Europe!

With the dawn of the 18th century, a new feeling of enlightenment has gripped the Austrian homelands. The Dons of Trieste’s Oxford University of vowed to bring peace and enlightenment to Europe, and the general staff has agreed that Destroyers of the peace will feel the might of the Austrian sword!