Europa Europa: European Empires Mod

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Modpacks' started by ArbitraryGuy, Nov 30, 2005.

1. woodelf

woodelf Bard Retired Moderator

Good stuff Barak. I love reading other people's exploits. :goodjob:

Would anyone be interested in a 14 person scenario? Between my computer bogging down a bit and the overcrowding so early I find it tough to compete. :eek: If you simply removed 4 civs from the WBS file and resaved it that would be all you need to do, correct?

What civs should be eliminated to allow for a little less crowding?

Or is there any possible way to simply be allowed to select how many opponents you have like a Custom game?

2. Crash757

Crash757 King

Maybe smaller map and the same civs ? ;)

3. woodelf

How would a smaller map and 18 civs offer less crowding? :shakehead

I'd love a larger more detailed map and 18 civs, but that would seriously bog down.

4. Barak

Barak Emperor

I think 14 civs would be great! Perhaps eliminate Venice, HRE, Prusia or Lithuania, and perhaps Scotland?

It would be great to be able to choose number of oponents like in Civ 3 and get random civs totaling a certain number (10, 12, 14 etc).

I have not tried the 18 civ version as I fear huge slow downs due to troop movement.

5. Crash757

Crash757 King

Dunno, i'm not against bit crowding. If i knew how to import new map for mod, i'd do it myself...

6. Barak

Barak Emperor

Of course it is possible to play the mod on a random map after we have all played the euro map too many times. In this way we can limit the number of civs.

7. woodelf

What about Euro map with random placement and AG's modifications? Is that possible as well?

8. Badmojo

Badmojo Chieftain

Nice job :goodjob:

Your right the drake ship has already good bonueses, but the venetian navy is way to strong... it won't be posible to totally waste the navy like IRL..
    ventian navy can be strong but then it should be tight together with a later tech so that it becomes availeble later then the drakeship in that way both the danes will rule the sea and later the venetians ... :)

9. Crash757

Crash757 King

Random placement sux, it ruins historical accuracy to ashes :rolleyes:

10. woodelf

I was simply replying to Barak when he wanted to make an entirely random map. I figured that I enjoyed the Euro map and AG's changes, but if you need to change things up you could change starting spots.

11. Barak

Barak Emperor

Through playing Rhye's of Civilization to death in Civ III eventually a player learns the map too well. You will start to base decisions on what you know will happen in terms of resource allocation and starting locations. Using the euro civs on a random map (or as woodelf says random placement on a euro map) makes the mod a different change of pace and flavor.

12. woodelf

Exactly. After so many games you know that placing your 2nd XXXX civ city has to be here to get the invisible iron that has yet to be researched. At least with some randomization you could still enjoy the Euro map (or the flavor AG has added) and not have biases on where to settle/expand. Although a completely new map like Barak suggests is even better for this.

But, on the other hand, you might enjoy Robert the Bruce settling in Italy and starting an alternate history since the land mass, rivers, ect would be a known commodity.

13. Barak

Barak Emperor

I have found that playing this mod several times yields different results not a direct result of human intervention.

Having now played three times, once as England, once France and once Austria (current) I have seen the Germans as #1, near the middle and at the bottom.

I have also seen Jan contain Peter, while other times Peter destroys Jan so ealry Russia is a force to be feared.

In my most recent game I am in the early 18th century, but still only 2 religions have been founded. Catholicism and Islam.

14. Crash757

Crash757 King

I've made small map version for EE3.1. Expanded using Scytale's Small Europe map. It's basicly the same scenario, only on smaller map.
    Enjoy :)

Attached Files:

15. MrThing

MrThing Warlord

Thank man, this seems like it will be fun. My computer has problems with the bigger maps after a while. I only wish that map went a little further east to accomadate Russia better and the near east.

16. Nachos

Nachos SEMPER IDEM

don't you think the viking exploration tech should be allowed to denmark and sweden only? they are the only vikings represented... and i think it would balance them up a bit, don't you think?

17. Gunner

Gunner Emperor

Oh my I played wayy to much RoC. I know exactly what you are saying about memorizing the map. My solution is to just keep on turning the diffuculty level up until I'm not able to build very many cities anyway ;)

I actually think it would be pretty cool if we could choose how many civs we wanted and then it randomly assigned them in their correct locations. So you could play a game with no French but all of the German states all in their right places. Would be interesting at least. Might need python or something to do that though.

@badmojo
    I wouldn't be so preoccupied with the Vikings somehow beating the Venetians in a battle once. I believe that it happened, but I don't think the entire balance should be based just on that. In this scenario at least the Vikings and the Venetians should never really fight each other since their so far away. The drakeship should be able to dominate its area pretty well with the first strikes and extra momvement. If you're still really concerned with the Venetians vs. Vikings could you please provide me with a link about that battle so that I could read about it? Actually I would like it if you did that either way since I think it would be interesting to learn about. Aren't I a nerd :D

And I don't really want to move the galley later for the Venetians. What we really need is some sort of middle ages naval unit. Now thats a good idea I think.

@nachos
    I don't think the Viking Exploration should be available to just the Viking civs. If we did that then the other colony wonders should be tied to the civs that really did them too. Some flexibilty should be allowed so that you can create your own history. But I do understand your point.

18. V. Soma

V. Soma long time civ fan

Well, I do not think this EE map will soon be boring for me, no way! :)
    Familiar, maybe, but does that really matter?

For a few days I and a friend of mine played a kind of team play…

We played a multi of the 18 civ map,
    I played with Bohemia and he played with Hungary,
    We agreed on to help each other all the way to the end…

And we set AI to MONARCH level. Game speed was normal.

It was a helluva game! :king:

STORY:

Catholicism went to Castilia, then slowly spread to the east.
    I, Bohemia, made friends with Prussia and Lithuania and the West in general.
    Hungary was friend with Barbarossa.

We feared Poland and Byzantine, and of course the growing Russia.

Venetia spread to the eastern coast of the Adria and then attacked me, Bohemia,
    going towards my iron to erase it! It was a foolish move on their part…
    With a joint venture, the two Venetian cities on the east coast of Adria was captured by Hungary,
    while I took Venetia itself! Leonardo was left with a single city – for a while, before meeting the final end.

Then came the time of knights and we decided to end the Papal States, to gain whole Italy,
    It meant 4 cities on the peninsula and an other in the Balkan.

This was the one and single momentum when Bohemia-Hungary could have done really well
    and maybe become a true power in Europe.
    But we missed it – not attacking neither Poland nor Byzantine.

Poland had wars with the German nations, who were before that almost eliminating Denmark.
    Russia had wars with Lithuania.

Remember, it was monarch level, so the AI was strong, real strong.
    In score, we were in 7-8th place,
    The leaders were the two Spanish and the sole top was Russia,
    with those mighty 12-sized cities in the east plains…

Many of the colonies went to the AI nations, we had only tea and spices.

And then we reached the final stage.
    We were not much behind in tech, but the leaders were still ahead 2-3 techs.
    Maybe in the end by more?

Byzantine was the first to begin SS in the 1850s or so.
    It became clear we have lost it.

First we planned a suicide attack on Byzantine, but then many others also started the SS,
    So what would it have been up to?

Instead, I made Poland attack Russia (big armies there on both sides),
    and to have some fun, after 4-5 turns we, the small dogs, also entered the war
    to bite into Poland from the south and west. It was infantry and artillery time.

With the initial attack we could capture one city but then came the tide of Polish forces
    and broke through and into our lands. Swiftly, they captured one of my cities.
    Will Bohemia-Hungary stay alive till the end?

The helping hand came from the French, who we also called in as ally.
    In the first few turns they captured the 2 Polish cities west of Bohemia
    (Poland erased the HRE in the 18. century),
    And THEN came the French tanks rolling towards Poland!

Poland made a great model of WW2 Germany, facing a cruel end in the pressure
    that came from the west (France) and east (Russia). It all meant that we were saved!
    In the F9 power graph Poland showed a sudden and definite decline.

Bohemia even climbed to place 5 on the scoreboard!

(At this point my friend’s machine was already too slow for the endgame and not much was left
    till the finish of Byzantine or Russian SS – so we left the game at that)

-

I truly enjoyed this game! EE rules :goodjob:

19. woodelf

Sounds like great fun in co-op V. Soma. Very cool.

20. V. Soma

V. Soma long time civ fan

I am planning to make that map-polishing this weekend...
    that is, if not another co-op game comes in the way ;)