1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Europa Europa: European Empires Mod

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Modpacks' started by ArbitraryGuy, Nov 30, 2005.

1. Gunner

Gunner Emperor

Thanks for the preview AG! It looks great.

2. Jouda

Jouda .

3. V. Soma

V. Soma long time civ fan

I would be glad to... :)

Will it use the same map as of the original EE3?

(In that case my work would be repeating the process
    and then do some more, eg. North Africa, which is still somewhat incorrect...)

So, AG, when the time comes for my work on the map, just mail me...

4. V. Soma

To all who have downloaded my version of the EE3 Expanded map from post 819:

AG has finalised and put the map in the opening post.

I suggest going there and have a new download of it.

In the meantime, I edited this post 819,
    now it has the text of the change log...

To jump to the post:
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=3602921&postcount=819

5. Lord Ainsbirth

Lord Ainsbirth Chieftain

First of all, GREAT MOD, I enjoyed a lot playing as Aragon and the Papal States!!
    Great mod, good idea and you turned out very well!
    All the games I played Russia was the first power by far. They have a large terrain and expand very quickly. I propose you, for the next version, to reduce the east terrain, or add a new civilization (divide Russia between Rus Civilization (capital Kiev) and Muscovite Russia (capital Moscow)).
    I would also delete some civilizations, as Holy Roman Empire (to allow Prussian expansion) and Scotland.
    All the new wonders are great!
    UN GRAN TRABAJO!
    Regards,
    Javier

6. V. Soma

Yes, I also recognised the too much space Russia has.

On my version of the Expanded map (18 civs),
    I put another Barbarian city (Kursk) east of Kiev
    to somewhat hold up the expansion - I hope that helps a little...

7. woodelf

woodelf Bard

Sign me up. You don't disappoint AG.

8. Barak

Barak Emperor

1864 Peace is declared!

From their new forbidden palace in Paris, the Austrian general staff has officially signed the peace treaty to end the second Franco-Austrian war. Napoleon has retreated in exile to the Isle of Ireland, while the victorious allies: Austria, Spain, Germany, Russia and Britain divide the former French territory. Bremen has been returned to the Germans, Lyons (in the Pyrenees has been ceded to Spain, French cities in Wales have been returned to Britain and the glorious Austrian Empire has expanded to include the French lands from the Low Countries to the Atlantic. The Germans did request some lands in south central France to settle German displaced peoples, which we were happy to give!

As champaigne and fine Bordeaux are toasted in the west, the Polish and Austrian eastern armies divide and conquer the ottoman heretics. In 1868, the peace treaty is signed in the former Ottoman capital of Istanbul giving the Austrian Empire added Mediterranean seaports and access to the Black sea. For the first time in centuries, Europe is at peace!

Leaders of culture and military might, the Austrian Empire is seen as the mightiest nation of Europe. Other nations tremble at their strength and offer valuable goods in trade hoping to ally them with the great power. Germany towns, seeing the Austrian Black and Yellow flag flying near them, pledge themselves for the great Germanic nation, causing Austrian territory to expand even in times of peace.

But will the peace continue? As the great enlightenment of Vienna, Trieste and Venice continues, and great scientists discover more and more new advances and technology, will the rest of Europe allow themselves to be ruled?

[one of these posts I may even add a screenshot]

9. V. Soma

You are a great storyteller, Barak!

What level is that, Prince?

10. Barak

Barak Emperor

Yes Prince. I am slowly trying to improve my skills. Looking forward to the UUs when they become available.

Has anyone noticed that there is not nearly enough Oil on the map? Tons of coal, but no oil.

11. Jouda

Jouda .

I'd rather reduce quality of the terrain instead as Lord Ainsbirth proposed. A barb city won't protect Peter from expanding forever. Sooner or later he'll capture it anyway.

12. V. Soma

I also removed a few deers and a cow or something :)

13. Lord Ainsbirth

Lord Ainsbirth Chieftain

I've played many games (Monarch difficult), and allways Russia and Poland was in the first position.
    The problem is that the center of Europe is crowded, and east europe is quite empty. This is why I propose to include a new east civilization, and reduce a center-european civ (like HRE, wich, in fact, is the same that Prussia).
    If not, Russia will allways have more space to expand than the other civs...

14. sapon

sapon Chieftain

I have modified the barbarians in many cities before so that it slows down the city capture and thus expansion of civ's. I put all three city defense promotions on two regular archers. This has held off capture until the Reneissance era for almost all civs. Perhaps this will contain Peter until the other powers have established themselves better?

15. BORNAparte

BORNAparte Chieftain

I've done another texture of Hussite for my Czech nation mod. It's retextured Maceman too but I think my is "more" Hussite - national warrior. You can use it for your mod if you want, ArbitraryGuy. On pages of Czech nation is a discussion about Hussite and his characteristics, you can be inspired with it.
    Texture of Hussite - Download

16. Gunner

Gunner Emperor

I think we can end up using both of those skins since there are two maceman UU's. Thanks :goodjob:

17. O.O. Howard

O.O. Howard Chieftain

I am new around here. I have used the mod and enjoyed it. The way you handled off-map places with wonders and resourses is great. and yeah, i noticed the Europa Universalis icons here and there.
    Played a game on monarch level as Venetians. I was surprised how long the pope took to invent catholicism so i did it for him. I did not try to play the game 'leverage' style so i did a little of everything. My first game so i didnt do too well with the off map resourses at first, but I got a couple. I liked how crowded it was, I was surprised that the Dutch ran out of space in northern europe and had to found a city on the med coast between me and france. So i fed them and kept them alive whenever france attacked them.
    Eventually made the religion wonder and immediately realized i should have done that sooner. Then realized I needed to keep feeding the Lithuanians and Poles so they could stand up to Peter, who got in the lead but didnt pull away too far.

I noticed there is no wonder for middle east oil, so I figured that i would need a few cities on the north coast of africa if i wanted any oil later. Spain, who is doing well in 2nd/3rd place seems to have the same idea. It occurred to me he wont be able to build good units without oil.. maybe if i took africa he would be without a crucial future resource? I cant get to Peter too easily and will never get anything from beating him. Or rather, if i attack peter it will hurt him, i wont get anything for my trouble, and there are still many nations ahead of me. Aw, who am i kidding? Honestly peter would have creamed my little army.
    I have all of Italy except early mighty Spain took naples while i was kicking the pope out of italy. i hated keeping the garrisons in the towns around naples in case spain jumped me. I do not have gazillions of troops. i had a decent navy and focused on it some more. I kept my first armored unit in italy but all new production goes to africa. Spain is powerful but is in three pieces...Spain/africa/italy which my navy would hopefully be able to isolate each part.
    When i got the 'flight' advance i was in the top third of civs. I decided i better make a military move soon with my armor or i would never overtake the leaders. Declaring war on Spain and giving gifts to sour old France for his hoped-for help or at least neutrality, I attacked the isolated Spanish cities in southern italy with a patient artillery barrage and only a handful of raw recruits. It takes longer, yes, but after the the barrage left the Spanish weak and with no defenses I entered Naples with few loses(except the artillery-which i am pretty bad at using up) Italy united! mine! all mine at last!
    Meanwhile we blitzed in Africa with all our armored units, and used strategic landings to augment and garrison as the attack rolls thru. Once again with barely enough to do the job. I would like to imagine that my Napoleanic method of threatening two places at once freezed Aragon troops into defending both cities. Cause they had more troops than me! But lets face it, its only the stupid AI. So i pounced on one city and as i did so the AI moved a unit out of it. Which was good cause i wasnt sure i had enough to take the city. things just rolled on from there. With full war production.. i love the civics in this mod! i was making nothing but military units at top speed, and quickly spain cut off from his last oil supply deep in africa. things were looking good, but i was not in the top 5 yet.
    I made my first bombers and spain doesnt have the SAM unit(which i hate how the computer always gets the SAM infantry and i dont even have the tech to make planes for him to shoot down.) So this was an unexpected treat. I didnt know bombers could hurt units so bad! Dont change the mod so bombers can kill ground units, its plenty good as is. A few Bombing runs and even my small army can take any city. What a thrill that was until i realized i was recreating the slaughter of the Spainish civil war...

my computer was sadly plodding thru the turns very slowly. Fortunately it has been only a few turns since the war started. I hate long wars.
    Spain has two cities left and i am wondering what to do with ferdinand of the Portugal area. His darn culture radius will guaruntee that he benefits much more than I when the capital of Spain falls. He will also be able to use the neutral roads between my captured towns. How could i defend them all?(only answer in my mind is to attack him) My wounded units garrison them for now, but I will need them in the forward areas to gain the fruits of victory. Note that Ferd DOES have the SAM infantry so he wont be a pushover if we have to fight him for the remains of Spain. And all the while as the troops manuevre the bombs never stop raining down on the ancient Spanish towns.

I throw my 3 healthy armor units deep into enemy territory, where, although they are surrounded by superior force on all sides i expect them to just be able to beat the 7 spaniards in the Capital. A marine or two will join them from another beachhead. And as soon as Spain falls we are gonna take on portugal, whose culture radius will probably engulf the old spanish capital. So we will be surrounded even if we win. and we have to keep up the attack so Portugal cant get started and take the barely defended Spanish towns i have. I reassure the brave lads that reinforcements are arriving from our victories in Italy. And i will keep them safe with airpower! Yes! even though they are surrounded the airforce will protect them!

'But portugal will shoot down the bombers!' I can imagine you wise civ 4 experts warning me.

i ignore you!

We will take the city, and then no retreat! only attack! Hold to the death if need be!

Too much fun, until i realized i was recreating the slaughter of Stalingrad....

Your obedient servant,
    O.O. Howard

18. dcode147

dcode147 Warlord

Sup everyone. I'm sorta new to this whole technology thing, so I'm just wondering why the mod has to be placed in the file that is not under My Games? I was not able to find a MOD folder in anywhere but My Games. Even though I put the files in My Games, I am still able to start the game. So should I change anything I have done?

19. Gunner

Gunner Emperor

You should find a file named Mod under the main Civ4 directory. The EE folder should go in there. The maps then go in the public maps place which you seemed to do right. But it doesn't appear that you got the 3.1 update. The Dutch are replaced by the Byzantines in that version among other things.

20. Mexico

Mexico TR senior programmer

i found small graphical error in this mod - in game update 1.52, there is new GameFont with new commercial icon - but GameFont in this mod is based on old version, which has same symbol for gold and commercial (anyway this is one of my mostly used mod)