1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Europa Europa: European Empires Mod

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Modpacks' started by ArbitraryGuy, Nov 30, 2005.

1. Wei-Yan

Wei-Yan Japanese and proud of it

I think he was talking about my sig

2. The Warmister

The Warmister Chieftain

Hey I'm tryin to download it but I don't understand how to do it. I cant figure out any of the steps after you save it to your comp.

3. Wei-Yan

Wei-Yan Japanese and proud of it

i have a nitpick theres not enough oil its only in Norway practiclly how about making colony Sibrea and colny Alaska and get oil from there

Good job though :goodjob:

4. Laertus

Laertus Chieftain

Not sure if this has been mentioned before. I just spent about a half hour trying to get the mod to work. Finally realized that Civ4 wasn't seeing the maps in the public maps folder because of the "-" in their map names. Perhaps if you could use an undderscore in future versions you could avoid this problem.

Oddly, after renaming the map files, they can be seen by looking at scenarios in a normal Civ4 game, but after loading the EE3 mod, they disappear from the list, even after being renamed. At this point, I have no clue what you did with the mod file to make the maps invisible, but it would help if they were accessible from the scenario map list once the mod has been applied.

5. Lambda

Lambda Chieftain

I'm very disappointed to see you consider Portugal a "bonus" nation.

Maybe you should go to wikipedia.org and learn a little bit more about the portuguese nation.

a) is one of the oldest nations in the world(being declared independent in 1139 ad), its current borders are the oldest in europe, they where delimited in 1297 ad!

b) it was the first european nation to begin the expansion of its imperial territory through out the world. It was a portuguese sailer that first sailed to India (Vasco da Gama) and first sailed arround the world(Magalhães, although he was working for spain). The portuguese empire was for many years (even centuries...) the biggest, which included colonies in Africa (mozabique, angola, green cape, guine bissau, etc), America (Brazil), Asia (India - goa, dili,... -, Macau). The portugual was also the first ocidental nation to reach Japan.
    Nowadays historians discuss proffs and documentation that sugests that they were the first to reach north america (at Lavrador, which is a portugues word dor farmer), and Australia. Although nobody knows if this is true.
    Unfortunantly for the potuguese at that time, after the death of a king whitout offspring (S. sebatiao) the throne was occupied by castella's king, for that the portuguese where a part of spain for 3 generations of kings (the filipe's dinasty, filipe 1 (2 of castella), 2 (3 of castella) and 3 (4 of castella)), during this time the empire of portugal+castella was the biggest european empire ever. Its supremacy ended when the great armada (portuguese and castellians vessels) where defeated by the english. After that episode the portuguese and castellians ceased to have the world domination, only after this episode the French, English and Dutch started their own imperial age. When the portuguese regained their independence from spain their empire was reduced, losing many colonies for spain (ceuta..) and losing many territories for the new colonial powers.

c) religious aspect: there was even a portuguese pope...

d) foreing aspect: it's one of the founding nations of NATO, fought the first world war

e) cultural aspect: it has one of the oldes universities, which was created in 1290. luis de camões wrote one of the few epopeia (portugues term, i don't know the english term..), saramago won a literature nobel prize, egas moniz won a medicine nobel prize. the laguange (portuguese) is one of the 10 most common languages, and it's also the second latin language more used.

f) nowadays portugal influence in sports is basicly due to it's soccer team and soccer players. Luis Figo, Cristiano Ronaldo, Deco, Rui Costa and the most known ever Eusebio. Portugal is one of the best 10 teams of soccer. Also in sports portugal has a very important position in hockey and athletism.

g) the portuguese empire was the last european colonial empire to be shattered. The african colonies where given independece only in 1974 and 1975 after a left-wing revolution in Portugal, where the dictatorship was replaced by a democratic representative republic regime. Only in 2000 the last territory abroad ceased to belong to the portuguese nation: Macau, which was peacefully and diplomatic delivered to the China people's republic. Although macau was not a colony like the african colonies, it's situation was somehow similar to Gibraltar(UK) and Ceuta(spain).

Quoting wikipedia:
    "Portugal has witnessed a constant flow of different civilizations during the past 3100 years. Iberian, Tartessian, Celtic, Phoenician and Carthaginian, Greek, Roman, Germanic (Suevi and Visigoth), Egyptian, Semitic (Arabic, Jewish, etc.), Moorish and other cultures have all made an imprint on the country's culture, history, language and ethnic make up. The naming of Portugal itself reveals most of the country's early history, stemming from the Roman name Portus Cale, a possibly mixed Greek and Latin name meaning "Beautiful Port", or even mixed Celtic and Latin or mixed Phoenician and Latin. During the 15th and 16th centuries, Portugal was a major economic, political, and cultural power, its empire stretching from Brazil to the Indies."

wikipedia entry for portugal (english)

it's true that nowadays portugal isn't the large and glorious nation that once was. althought its role in world history can't be considered "bonus". The portuguese changed the face of the world with the portuguese discoveries.

6. Dux_

Dux_ Warlord

I guess we can all look & find important notes, & glorious times in Nation's history, just to justify our national pride. In the end, I don't think it matters much.

7. Lambda

Lambda Chieftain

lol, "if you know me.." you would know I don't have any nationalism in my veins.

I guess you consider Denmark had a much bigger relevance in world history. Nowadays it has a more powerful economic than Portugal, although (historicaly speaking) Denmark hadn't such relevance in world history.

Just like denmark I can appoint more countries in the list that are far more rich than Portugal but somehow hadn't the same historical role.

I'm just saying that excluding the first transcontinental european empire (after the roman) is an huge historical mistake.

8. Gunner

Gunner Emperor

I think the reason Portugal isn't included is that there really isn't enough space on the Iberian Pennisula for them. There is some space however, around where Denmark is. Also, in order to add Portugal in another civ would have to be removed.

9. Barak

Barak Emperor

After several fun games in the expanded version, I went back to play the 10 civ version for a quick game. I noticed that the UUs were not loaded for all the civs. Is there an easy way to change the XML files to include the UUs?

10. Gunner

Gunner Emperor

Not really, I just made the UU's for the expanded version. It would require you to do a fair amount of xml edititing to do.

11. Barak

Barak Emperor

That is what i recalled as well when this was being discussed. the issue though is that the UUs show up in the 10 civ version for only a few civs. Making them far more powerful. (in theory of course)

12. Gunner

Gunner Emperor

If you want to play the 10 civ version I recommend that you replace the UU xml units file that I made with the regular EE3 one.

13. ptan54

ptan54 Chieftain

I played through EE3 expanded once, up to 2050, and it was fine.

However in recent games, even set at Marathon speed, the game ends at 700 AD! WTF!!! Is there some error here? How can it be rectified?

Also, I don't think Austria should be removed from the expanded version - after all, Austria was for 800 years an important Central European power. For most of its existence, the Holy Roman Empire WAS effectively Austria - perhaps a Vienna based polity should substitute the HRE instead?

With regard to Portugal, it could actually be accomodated if we merged the two Spanish Kingdoms.

Also, it would be a good idea to include ALL of North Africa and the Near Middle East. Conquering Egypt was a dream of many monarchs, including Napoleon and the British later on.

Great scenario.

14. California Love

California Love Chieftain

I sort of agree...listen up.

I agree that Austria shouldnt have been removed...but instead of the Holy Roman Empire...which effectivly puts some space between Germany and France...why not take out Bohemia? Make Prague and some other central European cities barbarian..then include Austria with a Vienna starting point.

Bohemia is usually one of the first nations out when I play...usually conquered by Poland or Prussia....so I dont really see the need for it. Better to replace it with a better civilization, like Austria. It would make for great tension with Venice and Prussia.

As for North Afrika and the middle east, I disagree...this is a European mod...and to include North Afrika and the Middle east would require arab nations...which in turn would require the removal of European nations....ergo...just not a very good idea. Maybe for a different scenario...like AG's Throne and Altar...but not this one.

15. Shekwan

Shekwan Kim Chi Quaffing Celt

Hi,great mod! I love especially love the new civics, but theres no revolution button in the bottom right how do i have revolution? I can only change when im prompted after new tech. BTW its v3.1. Any help?

16. Aussie_Lurker

Aussie_Lurker Deity

Hiya A-G. First up, this is a BRILLIANT MOD, and have been enjoying playing England in my recent game. One question though-After missing out on founding a religion, I found that it was almost impossible for religions to spread to my cities, in spite of being surrounded by Catholic cities in both France and Scotland. Is there any rules based reason why this would be?
    Again, great mod, and I hope to hear from you soon :).

Yours,
    Aussie_Lurker.

17. Falconius

Falconius Chieftain

Same here, only it's 800 AD. How can I change this? Also, how can I alter the victory conditions in this, or any, mod? (Prefer conquest or domination).

18. ptan54

ptan54 Chieftain

Merge Castille and Aragon, makes space for Portugal.

Make Bohemia barbarian Prague, and replace with Austria.

We can include the Levant and Egypt but make them barbarian - no new nations required.

19. Gunner

Gunner Emperor

@Those that want to change civs and the map
    I'm sorry to say that the development of this mod is over for the forseable future, so changes probably won't happen. You could do it yourself though.

@ptan54 and Falconius
    You need to edit the EE3 wbs map file with notepad and increase the max number of turns. Then it won't stop at 700.

@Shekwan
    Have you updated to the 1.52 version of Civ4?

@Aussie Lurker
    I don't think there was anything that changed how religions spread. Just sounds like you got a bit of bad luck :)

20. AsnoT

AsnoT Mostly Civilized

i got the same error with EE3 until i installed the latest nvidia driver (84.21).
    now it loads without problems....