[UNIT] Europa Universalis IV Renaissance Units

Those would be very nice in Civ. Are you planning on converting them?
As you can see, there is already one. I don't know about the others. As Walter has already said, there are some of them in Realism Invictus.
I only needed one model. On the other hand, maybe someday I will do it.

I really hope it will be faster. But there really isn't much time right now.
On the other hand, the project itself is not a secret. I recently tried to overlay animations on infantry models from Europe. The models themselves require major improvements before doing anything with them. But the result is interesting and suits me.
These are the Romans. As soon as I make the whole set, they can be downloaded.
Civ4ScreenShot0381.JPG

I've done a lot of EU4 bipedal unit conversions; RI currently has tens of units converted from EU4 that way, rigged to various animations. Of course, the sheer amount of models means there is always room for more. What I've found though is that the models are a bit "heavyweight" for Civ 4, but they optimise rather well. All stuff I converted was slimmed down by roughly 50-70%, polycount-wise, with no visible quality loss at the game scale. Are you doing any model simplification?

I really like this converted stuff. I use a lots of ships and also buildings in my mod, so I am always happy to see that your are continuing working for Civ4. There are only few persons left, and I am glad for anyone. :goodjob:

I've done a lot of EU4 bipedal unit conversions; RI currently has tens of units converted from EU4 that way, rigged to various animations. Of course, the sheer amount of models means there is always room for more. What I've found though is that the models are a bit "heavyweight" for Civ 4, but they optimise rather well. All stuff I converted was slimmed down by roughly 50-70%, polycount-wise, with no visible quality loss at the game scale. Are you doing any model simplification?
I did not reduce these particular models. After all, it was an experiment.
On the other hand, they themselves weigh 150-170 kb, which is not so much for a single case. If I continue to work, then, of course, I will make them smaller.

If you're using 3DSmax, MultiRes does wonders for model size with very little human input. Feel free to ping me via PMs if you need any pointers on its usage with EU4 models

If you're using 3DSmax, MultiRes does wonders for model size with very little human input. Feel free to ping me via PMs if you need any pointers on its usage with EU4 models

It's funny, but this is the tool I've been using for a very long time. Perhaps you saw in the thread about Tamriel, I reduce models from Skyrim by this method. If in the original they contain more than 10000 vertices, then I reduce them to about 1200-1500 using MultiRes.
In this case, I meant that I was just experimenting with the model itself, how it would look in the game. I mean, I didn't spend time on such little things, because I wanted to see the result faster. Anyway, thanks for the advice :)

These conversions are excellent! Thank you very much ramzay. They really 'upgrade' the civ4 aesthetic and fill in gaps for gunpowder units. I hope you'll do more, or maybe you can show us the conversion process?

(If you're ever in the mood, I'd like to see North African, Middle Eastern, Anatolian, or units from the Caucasus). Btw do you own the Ultimate Bundle? :wow:

Thank you again ramzay :king:

What I've found though is that the models are a bit "heavyweight" for Civ 4, but they optimise rather well. All stuff I converted was slimmed down by roughly 50-70%, polycount-wise, with no visible quality loss at the game scale. Are you doing any model simplification?
Models and textures both. Paradox makes their 3D art far more detailed than it needs to be. I mean, these are games where the maximum zoom state is still smaller than the default CIV4 zoom we most play on. They absolutely could get away with art no more detailed than what we use here. And yet they basically do zero model minimization.

Like for example someone here converted a bunch of ships from EU4 to NIF and when I did my conversions of those for my FFH nodule I found them to have all sorts of crazy messed up stuff like using 512x512 textures and 3d models so complex that every rope in the rigging was a physically modeled 3D object.

It is my firm belief that a large part of why Paradox games lag as much as they do late game is that they have art that is far too complex for their own good and really bad object culling (if any).

Models and textures both. Paradox makes their 3D art far more detailed than it needs to be. I mean, these are games where the maximum zoom state is still smaller than the default CIV4 zoom we most play on. They absolutely could get away with art no more detailed than what we use here. And yet they basically do zero model minimization.

Like for example someone here converted a bunch of ships from EU4 to NIF and when I did my conversions of those for my FFH nodule I found them to have all sorts of crazy messed up stuff like using 512x512 textures and 3d models so complex that every rope in the rigging was a physically modeled 3D object.

It is my firm belief that a large part of why Paradox games lag as much as they do late game is that they have art that is far too complex for their own good and really bad object culling (if any).

Yes, they have such problems. Earlier I uploaded airplane models from HoI4 to this thread. You can see that the textures are completely different both in size and in quality of execution. It is obvious that completely different artists are working on models, who do not even communicate with each other. In any case, each model requires certain improvements before it can be converted into a Civilization.
But I don't think it's the models that make their games work slowly. However, this happens more often due to the large number of executable scripts. I remember what a torment it was to play HoI2 approaching 1950. And there is not a single 3D model.

Like for example someone here converted a bunch of ships from EU4 to NIF
Surely these are my early models :) Regarding ropes, it's still a matter of taste. I believe that not everyone likes them. Nevertheless, I like it this way more.

Top Bottom