1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Europa Universalis IV

Discussion in 'All Other Games' started by MoreEpicThanYou, Aug 10, 2012.

1. MoreEpicThanYou

MoreEpicThanYou The most Epic.

I just got back from the livestream. :D

From what we know, infamy isn't important, the map system is similar to CK2, and it has a revolutionary trade system.

Paradox going to announce it at Gamescom.

Oh, and I guessed it. :p, Rome 2 dreamers! (Though I wanted Dark Ages...)

2. Leonel

Leonel Breakfast Connoisseur

3. Omega124

Omega124 Challenging Fate

It is EUIV? Eugh. I really wanted Rome 2, and EU is by far my least favorite Pdox game. I'm really dissapointed with this.

4. mechaerik

mechaerik Tuturuu!

I would've preferred a new IP or Rome II, but I figured it would be EU4 after yesterday's hint.

I'm looking forward to it (and EvW) regardless.

EDIT: I notice one of the blurbs is "experience over 300 years" of gametime. EU3 is 1399-1821 (I think, never actually played that far), which is over 400. I wonder which direction they're trimming the timeline (probably the later end).

I'll take a completely uneducated guess and say 1453-1776. There are some screens set in 1445, so that's already wrong.

5. hoplitejoe

hoplitejoe Top fun-poster

I probably won't be able to run it :p

6. NBAfan

NBAfan boss

I'm so excited for EU4!

7. TheLastOne36

TheLastOne36 Deity

As Luke said to my on Skype...

"waste of my life, stoopid paradox"

:lol: EUIV really didn't need to come out yet. We could've had another expansion.

I am not too fond of the 3d map either.

8. Rub'Rum

Rub'Rum Hates acronyms

1399-1821 is the timeline after all the EU3 expansions.

Europa Universalis 3 is the Paradox strategy game i played most. I have CK 1 and 2, Vicky 1 and 2, HoI 1, 2 and 3. Yet I've almost played them nil. I wish i could give them more time, especially CK2, but it seems it takes me so much time to start being decent at a single strategy game that it seems within a single year there's only one I'll be really able to get into...

The small glimpse of EU4 we got didn't seem that different graphically. I guess they'll use the same engine, again.

9. Evie

Evie Pronounced like Eevee

At a glance, it looks like this game has on-map trade routes instead of the classic Trade Centers.

So, so, so happy right now :)

10. SouthernKing

SouthernKing crickety cricket

Okay, here's what we have so far:

Spoiler Scandinavia :

Spoiler Iberia :

Spoiler South coast of France :

Spoiler Denmark with UI :

Spoiler England with UI :

And this:

Some other stuff I've concluded in my short time of browsing about EU4 news:
    -Notice how there are little dotted lines and ships in the screenshots? These are believed to show trade routes. That would fit in well with the "all new trade system" described above.
    -The UI show the date in both screens as March 21, 1445. Which signals that the game begins before 1453, and I doubt it begins too much farther back from March 21, 1445. However, notice that in the England screen that there are two Irish nations fighting a battle. Unless this was engineered (possible) or some battles are already happening at game start (which I highly doubt) the game begins at least a few days before March 1445. A quick check on wiki shows that there really was nothing important enough to mandate a 1445 start. I think the game begins at least a few years before.
    -On a similar note, the above lists the timeframe as "over 300 years" putting the end date in at least the 1740s. With this, I expect the game to end in 1789. While I would definitely like to have the game end after Napoleon's time, I do think that the Revolution and Napoleonic periods will be their own DLC.
    -The relevant lines above make me think that there will be a more in-depth (CK2-like?) ruler/dynastic system.
    -The UI itself: from left to right on top: treasury, manpower, stability, ?, prestige, personnel which I can't make out. I have no idea what the second line (the blue ribbon) is. Some scoring system maybe?

Open for discussion.

I am excited, although I probably won't get the game until a special edition with some DLCs included comes out, as from experience the release isn't exactly going to be feature-dense.

11. hoplitejoe

Apparently I will be fine, Johan has said it has the same requirements as CK2.

12. MoreEpicThanYou

MoreEpicThanYou The most Epic.

Maybe they cut down the timespan to better fit in with Crusader Kings II (ends 1453) and March of the Eagles (starts 1805).

13. TheLastOne36

TheLastOne36 Deity

I am not fond of the new graphics.

14. Luckymoose

Luckymoose The World is Mine

EU3 is ugly. This is a step in the right direction. I love the new look.

15. Tycho

Tycho AFK Forum Warrior

I believe I ought to start preparing to update my computer in order to run it; I've heard only good things about Europa Universalis III and Crusader Kings II.

16. GamezRule

GamezRule Inconceivable!

I would have preferred an updated ancient age game, but this works too.

17. NBAfan

NBAfan boss

The look is awesome!

18. Turquoiside

Turquoiside Emperor

This, especially the font.

19. Truronian

Truronian Quite unfamiliar Retired Moderator

A 2013 release means we only have to wait until 2015 for all the delicious DLCs/expansions!

20. hoplitejoe

It is following the CK2 expansion model, so I wouldn't be surprised to see minor DLC in late 2013, larger maybe mid 2014?