1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Europa Universalis IV

Discussion in 'All Other Games' started by MoreEpicThanYou, Aug 10, 2012.

1. SuperBeaverInc.

SuperBeaverInc. Groucho

Spoiler :

My progress so far as Portugal. I started off by capturing some of the cities in North Africa that had high trade value. Took Tangiers, Melilla, and Oran, since that is just what Portugal likes to do. Though Melilla is currently under attack by a ton of rebels, and it isn't actually worth much as far as trade goes, so I might just let that one go. Also, admin points are really hard to come by.

Started colonizing Cape Verde, Sierra Leone, and Brazil. I recently unlocked a second colonist so the progress in Brazil is starting to pick up. Trade is starting to flow from Brazil to the Ivory Coast and up to Seville, so with some more colonies and an eventual East Asian trade route I should start raking in the money.

On the diplomatic front, I'm allied with Spain who is in a personal union with Aragon, and Navarra is my vassal. Morocco is a jerk, but Algiers and me get along fairly well considering I stole Oran from them.

The RNG has also absolutely hated me. My best monarchs have had a 4 in one category and the other two being a 3 or 2. And I've spent 20 of the last 30 years in regency councils, so its absolutely killed my legitimacy.

2. SouthernKing

SouthernKing crickety cricket

PCGamer gives EU4 a 91/100

So it seems it's at least on par with CK2 quality-wise. I'm on the wrong computer in the wrong hemisphere so I can't actually play until the 18th, but the impression I've been getting is overwhelmingly positive.

3. Heretic_Cata

Heretic_Cata We're gonna live forever

I'm glad i'm not the only one struggling to not fail epicaly in the game. All the comments so far said the game is 50 times easier than EU3.
    Also could you guys make a "EA Bashing" or "DLC Bashing" thread ? It bores me to tears to read the same comments in every thread about any game that released DLC.

4. Leoreth

Leoreth Friend Next Door Moderator

On the contrary, that is the core of the issue and everything is irrelevant because it's only your misaimed sense of entitlement.

But I agree with Heretic Cata, let's not derail the thread any further.

5. sherbz

sherbz Emperor

Im fairly pleased at reading some of these comments (about it being easy and simple). Can people please tell me (someone who owns EU3 and found the whole thing completely baffling, terribly confusing, and completely inaccessible) whether this has corrected any of these problems? I might pick up the demo for this. Its a game i feel i should like, but i just found EU3 to be far too over the top on detail. I felt like i was given a scalpel and told to perform brain surgery.

6. salty mud

salty mud Deity

"Entitlement" seems to be the favourite buzz word of many. As paying customers, we are entitled to a complete game on release, and not being made to pay extra for content that the developers chop and choose to release separately on the day of release.

7. uat2d

uat2d ಠ_ಠ

Are you serious? EU3 is baby mode, you easily pick it up and then it gets super easy to blob.

If you were talking about HoI3 or perhaps Vicky2, then you'd be right, but not EU3, EU3 after a while gets super easy.

8. sanabas

sanabas Psycho Bunny Hall of Fame Staff

First impression is EU IV is a little tougher than EU3 for an experienced player, but a little easier/less daunting for a new player to simply start playing.

There's just as much detail, but it's maybe a bit easier to ignore, at least if you want to stay small and just see what happens. But if EU3 was definitely not for you, then probably none of EU IV/Vicky 2/CK2 are for you either. Playing HOI may make you feel like you've just tried brain surgery on yourself. ;)

9. sherbz

sherbz Emperor

Im totally serious im afraid. Call me pretentious, but as I have got older, I simply don’t have the time, patience, or inclination to spend hours and hours simply learning how to play a game. That’s not to say I don’t like complex games, because I do. But in my view a good/great game should be one that offers enough to beginners in order to get them interested, then if you want to branch out and learn the inner intricacies of the game and become a true expert, you can. EU3 doesn’t do this (im coming from the angle of having never played a paradox game before). It throws you in at the deep end, you have no idea what you are doing and it requires a considerable amount of investment and effort in order to work out what you should be doing and what everything does. This to me is not fun, its more like work, and isn’t what games are supposed to be about. EU3 also frustrated me with its simply awful tutorial and cluttered/poorly designed interface (although I recognise this is a marked improvement over earlier incarnations).

That said, I can recognise that a considerable amount of effort and thought went into the game, and it looks to be something of interest, its just that I cant access it because its not accessible. It kind of makes me understand why developers have dumbed down many of their games (like civ, although some would argue against that). I mean whats the point of a great game if you exclude thousands of people who don’t have the patience/inclination to actually work out how to play it (this clearly works both ways, and too dumbed down is obviously a bad thing)?

This is probably an incorrect impression, but paradox fans strike me as the type of people who would enjoy doing a 10,000 piece jigsaw, or enjoy investing hours and hours in something, just so they could say to people that they have done something that others have not. That to me is not the point of gaming. To me the point of games is to play them and have fun, and if you enjoy them THEN you invest and become a master. EU3, im afraid to say, kind of lost me on step 1.

10. sanabas

sanabas Psycho Bunny Hall of Fame Staff

I disagree with the criticism, and EU3 was also my first paradox game. But I think EU4 has a better, cleaner tutorial, I think the interface is good (but there is still a lot of stuff), and I think it's easy enough for beginners to start playing.

Making a great game is worth doing just so there's a great game out there for people to play. I'd rather play a game that's awesome, rather than a game that's average but 10 times as popular. There's no such thing as a game for everyone. What's the point of a great FPS if you exclude thousands of people who don't have the patience/inclination to play it or deal with all the online multiplayer morons? If the COD franchise never existed, it wouldn't diminish my gaming experience in the slightest. I don't understand the love for it, I played one, it lasted ~10 hours, the storyline was crap, the missions were repetitive, the game was finished, and I never played it again. :)

It's a grand strategy game. The point of grand strategy is to actually require you to learn & use strategy. It's pointless to make grand strategy that can be mastered in 30 minutes by anyone.

Lowest common denominator gaming leads to a bunch of generic, crappy games. Actually trying to make a great game, even if that means 50% of the potential audience won't go near it, leads to much better games for everyone.

It sounds like EUIV probably isn't for you. But if it seems like the sort of game you should like, then download the demo and try it.

11. sherbz

sherbz Emperor

See I do have some sympathy with this idea, which is why im slightly confused in my feelings towards paradox. For a long time I have been a little uneasy that too many games were being produced for, as you point out, the call of duty morons. So many games were produced that were all generic and crappy, all aimed at a certain type of person, and none of which I actually enjoyed. In this sense, even though I never got on with EU3, I still appreciate what it was trying to do (i.e. not be a generic style of game, try something a bit different and see what happens). I guess my main bugbear is that I found it to be poorly executed. Maybe with a decent tutorial my experience might have been different. I think in the case of a game like this it might be worth creating a fictional province for the purpose of tutorial and take the user through an entire campaign explaining what everything does.

12. calad

calad Emperor

Im positively suprized how well eu4 is made. Music, graphics and game mechanics are really well made. Too bad so much depends on pure luck. But hey! Not every game are like civ where you plan everything with calculator :king:

13. AltarofScience

AltarofScience The Brain

Honestly there is no way to make a paradox game accessible while maintaining challenge. If anyone can do okay, presuming their definition of okay isn't ridiculous which it often is for people these days which makes the problem much worse, then doing super well becomes trivial.

I guess you can abuse difficulty settings or something?

14. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

I haven't played EUIV or its demo yet, but from what I've read from reviews and heard from other people, my impression is that EUIV is more newbie friendly, but ultimately CKII is probably still the best choice for someone not familiar with PI, as while its mechanics technically may or may not be complicated than EUIV's, understanding things in CKII is simply easier because its a lot more relatable.

In CKII you may think something like "I hate my brother, he's a douche and trying to take my stuff," so it wouldn't be too hard to think of "I figure I have to get rid of him somehow." Meanwhile, in EU, you may think something like "my stability is low and I'm not getting enough money from trade". If you're a newbie, there won't be an obviously solution to solving stability and money woes in EU the way you know you can try to assassinate your brother in CKII or just imprison him or something.

Since CKII is also relatively nice-looking too, I'd still suggest it as the gateway drug to PI rather than EUIV, even if I personally think EUIV's mechanics might be easier to understand in the abstract in some cases than CKII's.

15. Glassmage

Glassmage The Desert Flame

EU4 is best! I actually have fun with the monarch points system unlike the slider thingy. This is my Portugal game. Same situation as beaver in early game. Cancel alliance with England and allied Castille/Spain. I vassalize and annex Navarra. Kill all of Morocco and integrate them to my nation!!! wtf that is the only weird thing changing culture is so easy. Then I went to Americas and vassalize all natives. Trying to integrate them now because I have too many diplomatic relations and that is making my diplo monarch points go to negative.
    Spoiler :

16. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

Depends on the person, but one thing I have noticed in some other new CK2 players and myself when I first played CK was that most games involve you leading a nation or civilization to victory, but CK2 is just about the family and you can even change or lose what "nation" you belong to. Its quite a different approach from most games, but also what makes it so unique and awesome :D

This time you're wrong. Entitlement would be if I was demanding they release them for free or ridiculously cheap, but I am not.

17. Joecoolyo

Joecoolyo 99% Lightspeed

The best thing I got out of that pic is the fact that the Ottomans thrive now. Finally!

18. Yeekim

Yeekim Moderator Moderator

I quite like the monarch point system, the only thing I wish is ability to develop one area (say, economy) at the expense of another (say, military) - there seems to be no way for any such tradeoff.

I hope they'll lose the constraint on hiring advisors, so I can hire e.g. hire another diplo advisor instead military one. This would about do it.

19. salty mud

salty mud Deity

I constantly wanting to find myself sacrificing military points for administrative points, or something like that. But it goes against Paradox's idea of having a more important ruler - if your ruler is better at warfare you will naturally get more military points and less of others. Oh, and advisers are horrendously expensive. 9 Gold per month for an adviser? Seriously?

Speaking of warfare, I need assistance. I was battling Venice as Austria and for some reason they could have a bigger army than me, and didn't seem to be in financial difficulty at all. Not only that, but whenever I fought them, I was losing 500-600 per day to their 15-20 men per day. The war was an utter disaster. What's going on?

20. Yeekim

Yeekim Moderator Moderator

Yeah, I don't want to diminish the impact of a ruler, just a bit more freedom in assembling my damn cabinet!