1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Europa Universalis IV

Discussion in 'All Other Games' started by MoreEpicThanYou, Aug 10, 2012.

1. SouthernKing

SouthernKing crickety cricket

I'll see if I can find it; it was one of the DLC debate/flame war threads from way back when. Long story short, one of the devs used an analogy comparing games to buns, and DLCs to embellishments for the buns. This quickly escalated into a forum meme.

2. mechaerik

mechaerik Tuturuu!

That thread made me very sad.

Here's the bun thread. This is the specific post.

3. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

Speaking of buns, how was the 1.2.0 patch for you folks? I've heard people on the PI forums going rabid about how it dumbed down the game/made things impossibly hard/introduced stupid changes/makes WC impossible/etc., but I wanted to hear the opinion of the folks here who are... more civil and rational than the folks on the PI forums, to put it lightly.

4. Evie

Evie Pronounced like Eevee

In general, my understanding is that people who liked expansion and blobbing hate it, and people who liked a calmer, more "nibbling at other countries to slowly expand" approach to the game are okay with it (because it results in their playstyle being the optimal way to play the game, for a change)

5. grandad1982

grandad1982 Deity

My bold. To me it seems these things are a little... contradictory!

From my experience in my 1.2 Tibet game I have to say it not really affected my play style of generally slow and consolidated gains (with the occasional greedy land grab :lol:). Since the hot fix that nerfed the border friction (they changed it to 5* base tax that was stupid but brought it down to 1* base tax) its pretty good IMO.

As Oda Nobunaga say if you want to blob fast its harder, but IMO it SHOULD be harder yo do this.

I always wonder why I read threads on the PI forums. There are so many self entitled arses its almost untrue!

6. Civ'ed

Civ'ed I ain't gotta explain a thing

Wait, did somebody say entitlement? :mischief:
    Honestly, apart from the loss of the lower tech cost advisers, it's alright.

7. SuperBeaverInc.

SuperBeaverInc. Groucho

My only complaint with the 1.2 patch is that it has made the game unstable for me. Before the game was remarkably crash free and I could go for hours without crashing. Now if I want to play for an hour I'm probably going to have to restart 3 or 4 times after it crashes.

8. AltarofScience

AltarofScience The Brain

WC is still possible with clever play, albeit a few OPM and TPM can't do it.

CK2 is actually MUCH easier to game than EU4 WC wise.

It is rather annoying that WC is so hard. You have to be really, really smart. Personally I consider PUs to be inferior to direct conquest.

9. Angst

Angst Rambling and inconsistent

If WC is really that hard, everyone have my cookie. I sincerely hope EU4 fixed the crap that was EU3 lategame. Haven't gotten hold of it beyond the demo yet...

10. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

That sounds rather bad, tbh. As in, immersion-breaking. I probably wouldn't keep playing if I were getting crashes that often.

I'm still on 1.00 myself, though, since I disabled auto-update due to not wanting a mid-game update to change the dynamics significantly. Y'know, something like how updating from EU3 5.1 to a 5.2 beta at a certain point would significantly change over-support-limit costs and might bankrupt you in a matter of months if you were a small country with an over-forcelimits army. All else equal, a type of surprise I'd rather not have.

11. Civ'ed

In EUIV's defence, CK2 is only Europe and the Middle East :mischief:
    DDRJake (the guy who did the Ryukyu WC in EUIII) has already managed WC as Ryukyu.
    With about 100 years to spare.

12. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

Hmm. Well, what everyone's saying here pretty much confirms what I'm hearing on the PI forums, except with less vitrol. It's harder to blob, etc.

I actually really like that. I hate the impulse to conquer everything in these games.

I think the amusing thing is that a few of the people hating on all the anti-blobbing are the same people who want the game to be more historically accurate or whatever. I dunno. Some PI fans are weird, man.

Funnily enough someone on the PI forums was basically arguing that, saying something like "The stupid devs made it harder to blob because they wanted to make things simpler and easier for the noobs."

13. Yeekim

Yeekim Moderator Moderator

Anything that makes it harder to blob is good in my book.

14. SuperBeaverInc.

SuperBeaverInc. Groucho

It is pretty bad. Especially as I have an awesome game as England going in which I've managed to completely wreck France. I keep wanting to play EUIV, but give up after a few crashes because it just becomes so irritating.

15. Evie

Evie Pronounced like Eevee

That's not a bug, it's a feature. You're not allowed to wreck France :p

To be fair, on 1.1, I get fairly frequent total computer shutdowns while playing this game. So I can't really judge.

16. hoplitejoe

hoplitejoe Top fun-poster

If it was sweden that every time you conquered you crashed, then I might be suspicious.

17. Civ'ed

Sweden is NOT overpowered.
    NOT.

18. bestbrian

bestbrian Just this guy, ya know?

Most of the instability seems to be reported by folks with Macs and Linux systems. Extremely stable on my Windows machine.

19. calad

calad Emperor

Correct. I had 4h MP game using first 1.11 and now 1.2 with 9 people and there was only three crashes. Two because of crappy computer and one for unknow reason.

Game is extreamly stable if you use windows.

20. NBAfan

NBAfan boss

Got to love the internet. They complain about Civ 5's AI being bad, then EU4's AI being too strong.