Europa Universalis IV

OST (on second thought, not original soundtrack ;) ) i am not sure if having a randomized new world cultures option will in the long run be a good change in practical terms, given that in mods it will either be useless, OR it will have fantasy orientation (eg a lost world, subterranean world etc). So a good idea, but the mods themselves will show if it will work well...

To be fair, it is the Paradox forums, so I wouldn't take what's said there too seriously.

Yes indeed. PI forums finally taught me the skill of not instantly replying to every stupid comment on a forum and just taking a deep breath and doing other things, like playing PI games. Even CFC couldn't teach me that. :D

I remembered seeing there were a gazillion of these flamewar threads about tech levels and Eurocentrism vs. anti-Eurocentrism and such in the past... unless you meant there's one such thread now?

Anyhow whatever.

I will admit I am rather annoyed when people on the EUIV forums say having a randomized New World is more "realistic" for the Europeans, as if the Europeans were the only people running around in the world. But whatever.
There was a thread specifically on a randomized new world dlc.

New dev diary about the randomized New World: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...aradise-%96-Dev-diary-2-Exploring-a-new-world

Since this is announcement week for Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise, I have a treat for you. Two developer diaries in one week
From this point forward, Fridays will be the regular dev diary day up until the release of the expansion on December 11th.

Exploring a new world
One of the most exciting things for me, about playing Europa Universalis IV is exploration - going for Conquest of the New World Idea early, recruiting an explorer, detaching some of your precious few ships and sending them out across the seas. When you find land, you need to build a base to extend your range and keep going, slowly mapping the potential borders of your new empire.
With the Europa Universalis IV:Conquest of Paradise expansion, we are adding a new dimension to the exploration aspect, namely the fact that you will no longer know exactly what you are going to find. This will add true exploration to the game as well as a new challenge to those players that have optimized their strategies by knowing exactly where the New World is and where you need to base yourself to optimize colonial range.

The random new world is completely optional
First off; the random new world feature is a completely optional expansion feature that is activated from the country selection screen. If you want your safe old (new) world, just don’t activate it.
However, once activated, the world is randomized when you start the game. This, of course, means that half of the world will not look like it does in the country selection screen.

The borders of your brave new world
To keep the balance of the game reasonable, we have to make impose limitations, so only North and South America will be randomized. Technically the area is decided by a rectangle on the map that covers the Americas and Greenland, but not the Azores. To still be able give you the proper Europa Universalis IV feeling, we are also limiting random the new world to 1444-starts and you won’t be able to have a random new world using the Crusader King II save game converter. As the random new world generator gets more polished,we’ll see if something can be changed, but right now we can´t promise that it will ever happen.

Generating a new world map
So, you start the game. The first thing that happens under the hood is the game will generate continents and mountains. Continents will be fairly random (no tectonic plates, sorry!), and most of the time you will have plenty of areas to colonize, but odd things may happen.
Provinces will be allocated and assigned to trade nodes/continents etc. We are using the real world province names and trying to keep provinces that are close in the real world close in the random world as well. Our trade node network is fairly well balanced right now and needs to be kept constant, so the nodes and their incoming and outgoing links are the same, but the nodes are spread out across the world, and early playtests indicate that this works well. Then, of course the native tribes are spaced out so the New World gets some population. Currently, we have most stuff done for the New World, but it’s the kind of thing that you could, in theory, polish forever. The screens you see are not final.

A brand new strategy in Multiplayer
The Random New World will definitely introduce a new factor for Europa Universalis IV games, especially for multiplayer. No longer can you optimize your strategy based on the knowledge of exactly how much colonial range you need and where your stepping stones are going to be. I’m really looking forward to when we can restart our office multiplayer game with a random new world

Have a lovely weekend!

Maps are... kind of like Civ's in a not so good way but they said it's a work in progress, so we'll see how this goes.

Maps are... kind of like Civ's in a not so good way but they said it's a work in progress

That's a nice way of saying, "They're awful and the province borders are also awful."

Thank God that it is a WIP and they weren't trying to pass it off as a final product.

Despite my gripes with the maps however, I still look the expansion overall.

I love the idea of a randomized new world and have wanted it for a long time, but the world generation definitely needs some work.

Aw, yeah, I'm seeing the political correctness/screw you Marxist liberals/it's called EUROPA universalis/etc. posts popping up in an EUIV thread.

I gotta get my popcorn.

Behave :p

Love the "YOU'RE NOT ADDING THE RIGHT NATIVES!" threads.

It's political correctness gone MAAAD!

Anyway, Steam's offering EUIV at half price this weekend- I've already crumbled on my "Steam is awful" stance and now I think I might crumble on my "I'll wait and see with EUIV" stance, too.

Oh, my crumbling stances! Damn bargains...

It's political correctness gone MAAAD!

Anyway, Steam's offering EUIV at half price this weekend- I've already crumbled on my "Steam is awful" stance and now I think I might crumble on my "I'll wait and see with EUIV" stance, too.

Oh, my crumbling stances! Damn bargains...

Don't give in! Gaben will lead you into the Promised Land of 75% off. 75% off as far as the eye can see.

I have precisely one Steam game and that's EU IV. I've heard enough horror stories about people's libraries being locked or what-have-you due to billing issues to have too many eggs in that particular basket.

I have precisely one Steam game and that's EU IV. I've heard enough horror stories about people's libraries being locked or what-have-you due to billing issues to have too many eggs in that particular basket.

Steam is fine stop being paranoid....

Steam is fine stop being paranoid....

Yup. 5 years without a single issue. And for every horror story I've heard about Steam, I've heard plenty of stories about Valve being awesome with people when something does go wrong.

I've had no problems so far and I'm sure that millions of people haven't either, but it only takes one billing irregularity and poof! your game collection is unusable for however long the problem lasts.

I've had no problems so far and I'm sure that millions of people haven't either, but it only takes one billing irregularity and poof! your game collection is unusable for however long the problem lasts.

Fair enough. I know people who won't drive on the interstate for the same reason. One person doesn't pay attention and poof, nineteen car pile-up and forty people dead.

I also have countless other games, which I hardly ever play, so there's very little temptation either. :)

Are there any good EU 4 mods yet?

Are there any good EU 4 mods yet?

gsg (apparently), Fantasia, I've heard that the Homo Sapiens mod is good (my computer can't handle it), and there's a ton of converted CK2 saves.

MEIOU & Taxes was one of the first out the door. It combines two of my favorite EU3 mods, so it really can't be that bad.

Top Bottom