1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Europa Universalis IV

Discussion in 'All Other Games' started by MoreEpicThanYou, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Hm, randomised new world is a good "option" to have, i agree, as long as the actual (historic) new world culture locations are the default and the mechanics are expanded accordingly with a set nation template. Imperialism II also had random new world cultures and it does get boring after a while in my view :)

Still not getting the game, though. I will give it at least another year so that it is already 95% about the Byzantine Empire in all mods :jesus:

2. schlaufuchs

schlaufuchs La Femme Moderne

Mostly because that flame war has already happened in a separate thread, and those who care enough to chime in about it have already burned themselves out in aforesaid thread.

3. SouthernKing

SouthernKing crickety cricket

I agree, this would be amusing.

I'm also hoping that we can have i.e. randomized Australia, or a Lemuria or Mu equivalent, which would make gameplay in one of those regions a lot more exciting. I doubt it will happen, but it would be fun, and I'm sure it can be modded in.

4. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

I remembered seeing there were a gazillion of these flamewar threads about tech levels and Eurocentrism vs. anti-Eurocentrism and such in the past... unless you meant there's one such thread now?

Anyhow whatever.

I will admit I am rather annoyed when people on the EUIV forums say having a randomized New World is more "realistic" for the Europeans, as if the Europeans were the only people running around in the world. But whatever.

5. SouthernKing

SouthernKing crickety cricket

To be fair, it is the Paradox forums, so I wouldn't take what's said there too seriously.

6. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

OST (on second thought, not original soundtrack ;) ) i am not sure if having a randomized new world cultures option will in the long run be a good change in practical terms, given that in mods it will either be useless, OR it will have fantasy orientation (eg a lost world, subterranean world etc). So a good idea, but the mods themselves will show if it will work well...

7. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

Yes indeed. PI forums finally taught me the skill of not instantly replying to every stupid comment on a forum and just taking a deep breath and doing other things, like playing PI games. Even CFC couldn't teach me that. :D

8. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

There was a thread specifically on a randomized new world dlc.

9. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

New dev diary about the randomized New World: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...aradise-%96-Dev-diary-2-Exploring-a-new-world

Maps are... kind of like Civ's in a not so good way but they said it's a work in progress, so we'll see how this goes.

10. Sonereal

Sonereal ♫We got the guillotine♫ Supporter

That's a nice way of saying, "They're awful and the province borders are also awful."

Thank God that it is a WIP and they weren't trying to pass it off as a final product.

Despite my gripes with the maps however, I still look the expansion overall.

11. SuperBeaverInc.

SuperBeaverInc. Groucho

I love the idea of a randomized new world and have wanted it for a long time, but the world generation definitely needs some work.

12. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

Aw, yeah, I'm seeing the political correctness/screw you Marxist liberals/it's called EUROPA universalis/etc. posts popping up in an EUIV thread.

I gotta get my popcorn.

13. Evie

Evie Pronounced like Eevee

Behave :p

Love the "YOU'RE NOT ADDING THE RIGHT NATIVES!" threads.

14. Peck of Arabia

Peck of Arabia Sociable Recluse

It's political correctness gone MAAAD!

Anyway, Steam's offering EUIV at half price this weekend- I've already crumbled on my "Steam is awful" stance and now I think I might crumble on my "I'll wait and see with EUIV" stance, too.

Oh, my crumbling stances! Damn bargains...

15. Sonereal

Don't give in! Gaben will lead you into the Promised Land of 75% off. 75% off as far as the eye can see.

16. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Super Moderator

I have precisely one Steam game and that's EU IV. I've heard enough horror stories about people's libraries being locked or what-have-you due to billing issues to have too many eggs in that particular basket.

17. Glassmage

Glassmage The Desert Flame

Steam is fine stop being paranoid....

18. SuperBeaverInc.

SuperBeaverInc. Groucho

Yup. 5 years without a single issue. And for every horror story I've heard about Steam, I've heard plenty of stories about Valve being awesome with people when something does go wrong.

19. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Super Moderator

I've had no problems so far and I'm sure that millions of people haven't either, but it only takes one billing irregularity and poof! your game collection is unusable for however long the problem lasts.

20. Sonereal

Fair enough. I know people who won't drive on the interstate for the same reason. One person doesn't pay attention and poof, nineteen car pile-up and forty people dead.