1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Europa Universalis IV

Discussion in 'All Other Games' started by MoreEpicThanYou, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Super Moderator

I also have countless other games, which I hardly ever play, so there's very little temptation either. :)

2. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

Are there any good EU 4 mods yet?

3. Mosher

Mosher Mushroom dad

/gsg/ mod

4. Civ'ed

Civ'ed I ain't gotta explain a thing

gsg (apparently), Fantasia, I've heard that the Homo Sapiens mod is good (my computer can't handle it), and there's a ton of converted CK2 saves.

5. schlaufuchs

schlaufuchs La Femme Moderne

MEIOU & Taxes was one of the first out the door. It combines two of my favorite EU3 mods, so it really can't be that bad.

6. Arakhor

I used to really like Death & Taxes, but it got too big too quickly. I preferred the 3/4 versions.

7. civ_king

I heard it had speed problems, did they fix that? Also why is it not on the the Steam Workshop? I'm familiar with D&T, what is different between that and M&T? Also, what was MEIOU about?

Any thoughts about that MNS mod ?

8. civ_king

What do you mean?

9. GAGA Extrem

GAGA Extrem Emperor

Of course!

From Darkness (shameless self-promotion :D).

It tries to balance out the game and add back some things from EU3 (e.g. some advisors, triggered modifiers). I guess the most important thing is that NI groups are a more interesting and diverse compared to vanilla. They are also offering more long term impact (e.g. innovative grants a boost to religious unity that reduces the impact from the reformation).

10. Arakhor

I'm talking about the EU3 version, which was first extended to 1861 or thereabouts, then went past the US Civil War and then to the end of WWI, picking up such "improvements" as Austria-Hungary and so on. The 3.x and 4.x versions were less bloated in my opinion.

11. schlaufuchs

schlaufuchs La Femme Moderne

Basically M&T had the MEIOU guys focusing on making the maps not total [feces] and the D&T team brought in the awesome unique historical events and characters and whatnot. I don't know how it plays since my computer is too crap to handle EU4, but both were quality mods in EU3 (D&T's bizarre decision to let the game run to 1921, aside), and from the footage I saw, it looks like a pretty quality mod. I also loved that D&T rolled the startdate back to the Golden Bull for EU3; much more interesting than 1399.

12. NBAfan

NBAfan boss

M&T is a hilariously awful example of how not to make a mod. There's so much junk in it that it takes minutes for a month to pass

13. Arakhor

Part of that may simply be your computer, NBAfan. I had troubles running CKII's Elder Kings at any reasonable speed until I upgraded my computer at the end of summer.

14. Mosher

Mosher Mushroom dad

No, no, it is feature bloat: the mod. When you add four hundred and fifty new tags, the game is going to lag like hell.

15. civ_king

So um I tried out M&T and its not that bad, about half the speed of vanilla which seems pretty good considering how much they added.

I check the previous couple versions back and apparently they removed a bunch of trade nodes which dramatically increased the speed so that might have been what you were experiencing.

It takes much less than a minute for a month to pass, less than 15s which seems fair.

16. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Meiou was (imo) the best EUIII mod.

Still not trying EUIV anyway, i suppose the game will massively change in the next year or so.

17. Arakhor

The Battle of Varna start-date would tend to disadvantage any number of popular Byzantine scenarios. :)

18. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Yes, but considering EUIII started (originally) after 1453, i guess EUIV will be even more Byzantine-centered in the long run (at least in the main mods).

19. civ_king

M&T starts in 1356 so it seems like fanboys of the Empire of the Romans will have fun.

20. Evie

Evie Pronounced like Eevee

That is not dead which eternal lies
    And with strange fanboys even death may die.