1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Europa Universalis IV

Discussion in 'All Other Games' started by MoreEpicThanYou, Aug 10, 2012.

1. AltarofScience

AltarofScience The Brain

Anyone else really annoyed about coring times these days? With the nerf to both vassal feeding and being able to diplo-annex in general you need to core a lot more yourself. And that isn't an issue ADM wise, but time wise. Denmark with all of Scandinavia integrated and having conquered all of the Teutons, 2 of Pomerania(Brandenburg stole 1), Riga, all but 2 of the Livs(Stolen by Lith), and Mecklenberg, takes from 5 to 9 years to core lands. Actually I'm coring the Teuton, Livonian, and Pomeranian lands that I just took. Stettin is a whopping 9 years. And I am pretty sure the core times will grow as the game moves on. I haven't gotten ANY PUs, not even crappy ones. It seems like it will be impossible to conquer even a significant portion of the world, much less do a WC. Counting 350 mainline years and averaging 10 years of coring time by the end and given that anything over 120% OE is basically death, I have 35 cycles, and that's assuming I go to war for the next group as the first group is finishing up. 35 * 6, unless they are really crappy. So less than 250 provinces as Denmark. Plus they did that whole protectorate so that I cannot even vassalize most nations AT ALL.

I doubt I can easily protectorate the entire eastern world since protectorates don't contribute militarily.

Of course Denmark is not the optimal WC nation but still. I should at least be able to get 40% of the map under personal, PU, or vassal ownership by games end and that doesn't seem at all possible.

2. AltarofScience

AltarofScience The Brain

Also, 5 freaking days before I royal married Savoy to get a personal union the king died and Naples got it instead. Cost me like 150 gold and I missed it by 5 god damn days. Denmark hasn't gotten a single royal marriage all game. Not even a one that ended after one ruler.

3. cardgame

cardgame Obsessively Opposed to the Typical

Did you play EU3? Core = 50 years every time...

4. AltarofScience

AltarofScience The Brain

Cores worked a little differently in EU3. Especially in NA.

5. Sonereal

Sonereal ♫We got the guillotine♫ Supporter

No, it was still solidly 50 years last time I played DW.

6. AltarofScience

AltarofScience The Brain

"Especially in NA." But I didn't mean the time to core. I meant the whole concept of cores.

7. GAGA Extrem

GAGA Extrem Emperor

To be fair, EU3 non-core provinces were far less deadly than EU4 ones, considering that they didn't throw the whole realm into chaos due to overextension.

...which is really the one point I find strange about the whole mechanic: Revolts all over China because they have annexed 3 provinces in Vietnam?
    :lol:

Still, while long coring times might be annoying, I think you can still edit the values in defines.lua. It literally just 5 clicks away.

8. AltarofScience

AltarofScience The Brain

Not for Ironman.

For my freeform games I set cultural acceptance to 1/10 the base tax required in Vanilla/Ironman, made cores last forever, eliminated coring time rise as country size grows, nerfed the size in general and many other awesome things. Not sure how to edit out the stupid as hell Protectorate mechanic though. I hope its moddable.

9. i_imperator

i_imperator Imperator

I picked up this game over the steam winter sales, its quite fun but im still trying to get my head around the basic mechanics and such, I was wondering for your first play through should you do the ottomans or France?

10. TheLastOne36

TheLastOne36 Deity

Spain is usually regarded as the best country for beginners to play as.

11. Wolfbeckett

Wolfbeckett Jerkin' and nonsense.

France is strong but probably not ideal for a first game since you start off literally surrounded by powerful enemies (or nations who will shortly become powerful enemies). Spain is good, I think England is great for a beginner too since (starting war aside) it's easy to fort up on your island and concentrate on expanding via colonization or whatever.

12. Samez

Samez Emperor

IMHO England is a really hard start if you try to be at least as successful as the real British Empire.
    The hundred years of war beginning can turn out quite bad, the War of Roses event can mess the country up (Especially if you lost too many units in the hundred years war) and finally the Protestantism event can become really nasty if you decide to go with Reformation but it fails everywhere else in Europe => very limited allies. Also the catholic nations can also form very powerful empires. E.G.in my last game as England Spain became a colonial superpower, while the continent was dominated by the reunified HRE (conquered Denmark), France (conquered Northern Italy) and the Polish Commonwealth (conquered Sweden). Worst thing: they are all allied to some degree.

For a starting game Denmark can be interesting (PU with Sweden an Norway) or something like Brunei which is far off from all the superpowers for quite a while.

13. GAGA Extrem

GAGA Extrem Emperor

I think the easiest (not most effective!) way to play England is to surrender all of your continental provinces to end the war asap (you can keep Calais, it is actually a quite nice way to 'bait' France into unwinnable wars later on and its a great foothold if you can build your march in it).

Reduce WE and try to pounce Ireland or Scotland, depending on missions and diplomatic relations. Then conquer Iceland and use it to colonize greenland and North America asap.

14. germanicus12

germanicus12 First Citizen of Rome

In my game as England, now Great Britain, the reformation was successful, converting most of the HRE, the Scandinavian Countries, France, Brittany, Burgundy and Holland. Though I had a hand in most of it after converting myself by supporting rebels and going to war with France and Burgundy and forcing conversion. Only Brittany, Holland and the Scandinavian countries converted without any intervention on my part.

France was recently beaten by Castile and reconverted to Catholicism. But the rest of Northern Europe remains tightly allied or loyal to Great Britain that Castile refuses to get caught up in a global war. Maybe when France recovers from the pounding they got from Castile and then the religious rebellions that broke their country we will have some fun and tense moments.

Now granted I did beat France in the Hundred Years war and kept my cores in France so the balance of power has always been tipped towards England/Great Britain until recently, so that may have had a role in how the reformation turned out.

15. GAGA Extrem

GAGA Extrem Emperor

The major factor is, afaik, the location where it starts, because that country is more or less sure to convert. If it hits France, Austria or another medium to large nation, it can actually gain ground. If it fires in an OPM it will usually evaporate quickly.

Pre-patch there was also a significant influence of cardinal control. Iirc holding a single cardinal in the curia was enough to more or less kill the spreading events (which is probably the reason probably why the major nations are rather effective at containing the reformation).

16. Heretic_Cata

Heretic_Cata We're gonna live forever

In my game as England, the most frustrating thing about the 100 year war was that France just DIDN'T want all the continental provinces i was ceding. The war dragged on for a very long time and it wasn't until Burgundy declared war on them for some reason or another did France FINALLY accept my provinces. It was my first EU4 game (played EU3 before) and i didn't come not even close to real life GB.

I took my revenge in my Denmark game tho. My 500 ships dominated the trade lanes, my web of alliances and PUs could take on anything France, Austria or Russia could muster up, my diplomatic deals made sure the emperorship was out of the hands of Austria and given to weak squabbling states. That was a great game. :)

17. GAGA Extrem

GAGA Extrem Emperor

You know, you don't have to cede all at once. The French AI will come back for more later, trust me. :p

18. AltarofScience

AltarofScience The Brain

Denmark is pretty amazing. I failed to get either France or Hungary in a PU, I've gotten one of them in my last 2 or 3 games, but I am ironically doing even better than ever. I'll get a screenshot in 1550. I won't have everything I wanted till like 1560 sadly.

19. Akka

Akka Moody old mage.

The little different point being that, depending on their wealth, two or three uncored provinces can wreck your entire empire in EU4, which is not exactly the case in EU3... ^^

20. cardgame

cardgame Obsessively Opposed to the Typical

That has not been the case for me so far.