1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Europa Universalis IV

Discussion in 'All Other Games' started by MoreEpicThanYou, Aug 10, 2012.

1. grandad1982

grandad1982 Deity

Colonial Nations are meant to declare independence more in 1.8. I still haven't had time to play much 1.8 or AoW but I did start a Ming game and I'm quite saddened by the tiny amount of manpower I have, something like a 35k max!

2. LDiCesare

LDiCesare Deity

They declare independance more but don't do a great job of it.
    I saw the U.S.A rise from New Scotland in my current game and the Castillian Brasil didn't manage to win its war despite being allied with La Plata, Castilla having half its troops busy in Europe (so they had at most 40k overseas) and my dumping about 2000 ducats to help them. They stopped their war just when my supporting troops were onboard to help free their capital :(

3. i_imperator

i_imperator Imperator

Im wondering, now that the AoW pack is out, is it worth playing a game of vanilla without it to learn it? I have EU4 but I dont have AoW yet.

4. grandad1982

grandad1982 Deity

Well, lots of the AoW stuff came free in the patch. This link will show you what was free and what was only in the DLC.

As you can see most of the stuff was free so playing vanilla will still give you a good grounding in how the game works.

Do you have any of the other DLC?

5. i_imperator

i_imperator Imperator

I have the other two expansions, COP, Won, and respublica. Yeah ive been thinking about trying the game again, im not very good at it, have 60 hours logged, with two playthroughs that were not finished, once with France and Portugal. Thinking of relearning the game again but im not quite sure where to begin.

6. grandad1982

grandad1982 Deity

If you can spring for AoW its probably worth it.

Some good starts to get into the game and not face to many challenges would be the Ottomans, Castille or Muscovy.

If your looking for something that should still be quite easy but offer more challenge or things that are less straight forward look at Denmark, Aragon or Austria.

It really depends on what it is you want to get more experience of dealing with. Castille is the classic training country as its got some great options for allies (Portugal, Austria and even England sometimes), some clear routes for military and diplomatic expansion and it can get in on the colonialism game as well. Castille also has a good base to play around with the Papal game as well.

7. Truronian

Truronian Quite unfamiliar Retired Moderator

Muscovy is not as easy in 1.8, from what I've heard.

8. grandad1982

grandad1982 Deity

Haven't played as Muscovy yet in 1.8 but I suspect that people are making mountains out of molehills. Ok the slightly silly 50%LA cap on colonised provinces is there and Poland is a lucky nation now but I can't see it being actually hard, just not ridiculously easy like it was before.

9. uat2d

uat2d ಠ_ಠ

Really? Poland was for sure of the most unlucky nations throughout history.

10. grandad1982

grandad1982 Deity

From the patch notes

Whether or not it makes Poland to strong now compared to it collapsing to early before remains to be seen (by me at least).

11. SouthernKing

SouthernKing crickety cricket

Spoiler :
    i'm sorry i had to

12. schlaufuchs

schlaufuchs La Femme Moderne

I see the Polish propaganda has been having an effect on you...

13. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

Poland stronk

14. Evie

Evie Pronounced like Eevee

Dammit, guys, this is the place I visit to talk about EU without Poland memes (and scary Eurocentric people) :p

15. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

So which nations aren't lucky now if Poland and Brandenburg are? Or did they increase the number of lucky nations?

Poland's been interesting in my pre-1.8 games. If they keep the union with Lithuania, and eventually form the Commonwealth, they can be very powerful indeed. In my 1.7 multiplayer game, they're pretty scary right now, such that Bohemia, Muscovy, and the Ottomans have at times joined in a coalition against them (IIRC, in that game Lithuania is lucky, which helps Poland, but not as much as Poland being lucky). But if they lose the union, they can indeed become a marginal player. While it was unpredictable how they would fare previously, I didn't think they were underpowered.

16. grandad1982

grandad1982 Deity

I don't think they removed any lucky nations just add the extra 2 nations to the list.

I'm playing my first ottoman game for about 3 or 4 patches so we'll see how lucky they really are!

17. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

I've only just noticed this, but when you look at EU IV in your Steam library, the background image is always something related to Byzantium, whether it's the 1463 reconquest of Edirne, a victory over Venice, restoring the Pentarchy or what have you. :)

18. gay_Aleks

gay_Aleks communism will win.

Well, replacing all these screens with things like Sweden annexing Denmark/Pommerania would probably have been thought as uncomfortable and stupid.

Instead, they made Sweden lucky and gave them enormous discipline bonuses. Yay?

19. Heretic_Cata

Heretic_Cata We're gonna live forever

Playing as Timurids -> Mughal with the new patch. I love the new additions so far.
    One thing that is confusing. I understood trade before, but now i can't seem to grasp why my nation keeps transfering trade AWAY from my trade centers. It's like every trade center i have transfers trade power everywhere except toward my capital.
    Also something wierd i have 9% of my people afghan; so they are a non-accepted culture. Got the Humanism idea that lowers the accepted culture threshold. Afghans still not an accepted culture - and it's the same with the other cultures that are close to 10%. What gives ???

It seems to be quite an easy play so far, all i have to do is think my expansions through and keep an eye out for those ticking rebellions. They become completely overwhelming if i expand like crazy (as they should be).
    Some good things i've seen the AI do so far.
    More countries successfully westernizing !
    The western powers no longer colonize africa & india like crazy.
    Ottomans no longer rampage through everything so early. The bizzies survived till 1550 with some province in greece. Constantinople is venetian tho. :)
    The big blue blob no longer has half of Europe by 1550 which is good. Before the patch, by this year, europe was divided between blobs, now it's a lot more intresting.
    Russia no longer reaches the pacific in 1500. It still has a long way to go, me as Timmy having not atacked the siberian hordes kept them strong and a constant challenge for Russia.

As a disclaimer i never play with lucky nations on ... so there's that.

20. GAGA Extrem

GAGA Extrem Emperor

Are the provinces with them cored?
    Otherwise they don't count towards acceptance %, so if it's freshly conquered territory that might be the reason.