Europe 1890

=fk=Veteran

Chieftain
This is my first scenario so all might not be perfect but its close. I used UnCopain "EuropeMap5444" as the map and went from there...

The year is 1890 a new international order has developed you have the choice either to take the reigns of one of the up and coming world powers or try and save a declining empire.

The countries are

England
Kingdom of Denmark and Norway (also Sweden)
Kingdom of Belgium and the Netherlands
France
Germany
Italy
Austria-Hungary
Russia
Ottoman Empire
Greece

Currently Im using Celts for Belgium, Vikings for Denmark, Austria-Hungary Fredrick of Germany, and Rome for Italy. I hope one day I could add seperate Civs with new leaders traits, UU ect... but currently I lack the modding skills.

Difficulties
Spoiler :

Easiest - Technologically Advanced
England - Powerful Navy and strong army. Big Industrial Cities, with imperial prescence in Egypt, and Cyprus.

Germany- Strong Navy, Powerful army, Big Industrial Cities, with you military might you have room to expand. Pick your victim.

Italy- Strong Navy, Strong Army, Industrial Cities, with imperial prescence in North Africa.

Easy - Somewhat Technologically Advanced
France - Good Army, Navy, Big Cities, imperial prescence in North Africa

Normal - Techs up to Industrial Age
Spain - Military prescence, colony in North Africa

Austria-Hungary - Considerable Military, but has many rivals; Italy, Ottoman Empire, Greece

Denmark - Military prescence, somewhat isolized.

Hard - Technologically behind

Greece - Weak military

Ottoman Empire- Militarily Obsolete, lacking many improvments

Russia - Despite its size it is militarily obsolete, lacking many improvments

Belgium/Netherlands

The zip file contains to versions one that starts at the year 4000BC for longer game play and the other that starts at 1890 for shorter.

Please comments, and suggestions.

Attachments

• Europe 1890Screenshot.zip
    247.1 KB · Views: 1,474
  • Europe V3.2.zip
    24.2 KB · Views: 1,205
Version 2.0
Spoiler :

-Added an extra Janissary per city to the Ottoman Empire as well as 6 knights

Known Bugs
-At the start Belgium/Netherlands will become a vassal to Germany so I decresed the relationship more toward neutral, not sure if it will work.

Great time period for a scenario. I'll check it out now. Good use of a sick day (I went to California for rodeo break and got sick).

Played as the ottomans some. Fun but I think you might need to increase their military. They did have an inept army but they could easily defeat Greece and, in a limited war, hold their own against the Russians or English. In this game, I brought my entire forces (leaving one janissary per town) and still couldn't capture Greece without extensive additions (many more infantry and some artillery).

I tried to dipict them as a weak nation because at the time they were having lost to Russia in a brief war in 1877, and Greece won its independence in 1830 I wanted to make it so they wouldnt be able to take over Greece so easily. To try and simulate the state of thier nation at the time. Ill go back and give them some more 1 janisary a city and add 4 knights to adrianople and 4 to constantinople seeing calvary will be to strong.

My main fear was giving Russia and the ottomans to much military, techs, improvments with their size they would be un-beatable so i decided not to give them rifleman or calvary especially with the Cossacks Russia would very strong. I also tried to emmulate the tensions that lead up to WWI.

What I really wanted to do was apply the different branchs of Christianity so the European countries wouldnt be so friendly like English-Proteseant, Catholic, and russian/Greek Orthodox.

Italy has too much power as it is the centre of Christianity (it gets a heck of a lot of gold per turn). It is able to catch up to the likes of Germany and Britain while leaving France to struggle. Maybe it's better to keep Italy at the same level as France because although France is in decline (debatable) it is still a powerful country at that time.

Some of the names have spelling errors, as well as the need to change the name of some of the leaders (namely Brennus and Ragnar).

I can see that you've noticed the religion problem and might be solved by making a mod for this scenario (not an easy task). But IF you do, I would recommend also to change the techs a bit so that Germany or Britain don't acquire tanks after only 20 turns.

I dont understand how should be Italy technologically advanced, Italy was pretty weak in this era. Of course, some cities in northern Italy were strong, but same about Austria and Benelux :confused:

Comments

Italy's strength and technology- I wanted to beef up Italy because I wanted to make it stronger than Austria-Hungary who's was constantly putting down revolts because they ruled over such a diverse amount of nationalities. As for the technology I wanted to make them ahead of france but behind Germany and Britain

Italy's wealth - theres not much i can do about that because every city in Europe had some form of Christianity and Rome was the most logically choice for the holy city.

Leader Names - for "Denmark" and "Holland" i had trouble coming up with accurate leader names, but I did some research and will replace the leader names with more accurate ones of the time period.

Britain and Germany tanks in 20 turns - I wanted to have them start with factories so i gave them that tech (cant think of it off hand lol)so i cant do much about that except lower their research by taking away some of the academys i put in thier cities.

Changes

-Italy wealth as aformentioned not much I can do at the time will look into a mod for religons.
- I will reduce the amount of Italys army and make them tech wise the same as france
-I will replace the leaders with accurate names listed below. Ill also be replacing Churchhill with Victoria who was the ruling Monarch at the time.
-I will remove several academies from British and German cities

Known Bugs - In the 1890 or SS version theirs a glitch where the time is messed up the year becomes 2340 AD. Will try and fix it.

LEADERS - These will be the new Leader names. I had trouble deciding to pick the King or Prime Minister seeing they were the real ruler so it varies.
Spoiler :

Denmark - Christian IX King of Denmark
Belgium - Leopold II King of the Belgians
England - Victoria Queen Of England
France - Pierre Tirard President of France
Italy - Umberto I King of Italy
Spain - Antonio Castillo Prime Minister
Germany - Bismarck Chancellor Of Germany
Austria- Francis Joseph Emperor of Austria
Russia - Alexander III Tsar of Russia
Ottoman - Abdul Hamid II Sultan of Ottoman Empire
Greece - King Georgios II King of Greece

Update - Version 3.0

Spoiler :

-Italy army was reduced
-France is now technologically even with Italy
-France has larger navy
-Academies in Germany and England were reduced now there is only an academy in London and Berlin
-Leader names were replaced
-Spain's leaderhead is now Cyrus instead of Isabella (needed a man)
-Britain leaderhead is now Victoria instead of Churchill
-Changed Austria-Hungary "base civ" from Germany to India so this way they dont get panzers. Fredrick remains the leaderhead though.

Bugs
-Still having problems with the 1890 start year so i removed it all together. As of now there is only a 4000BC start year availble will work on it.
-Due to the large size of the map and the amount of cities and units some lower end computers will exprience slower game play. I have 1.4Ghz P4 512 Ram and a 5200 Geforce card and turns can take some time but nothing outrageous small price to pay for this map i think.

Future Updates
-In future updates I will try and apply a religion mod
-Add a mod for new civilizations possibly statik leaderheads.
(i.e Holland/Denmark/Italy/Austria-Hungary)
-Will fix start year problem

NOTE - For Current version please see first post!

It's after the Act Of Union so England should be replaced by Great Britain.

To nitpick, Italy didn't control Libya until 1912, when the Italians attacked the Ottomans after the Ottomans were weakened followng the Balkan War (when Greece, Serbia, Montenegro, and Bulgaria defeated the Turks in the Balkans and threw the Turks back to their present-day European borders).

I was just wondering, has anyone tried to play as the Belgians yet?

I wanted to give Italy enough presence in North Africa to compete with France thats why they control Libya.

I think London should be made the Christian Holy City for a few reasons:

-It was and is still the financial capital of Europe and as well as the financial capital for the world at that time.
-England really was more or less the new Roman Empire of its time and it used Christianity while it expanded.

Also, whats the difference between the regular and the ss version?

I think London should be made the Christian Holy City for a few reasons:

-It was and is still the financial capital of Europe and as well as the financial capital for the world at that time.
-England really was more or less the new Roman Empire of its time and it used Christianity while it expanded.

Also, whats the difference between the regular and the ss version?

I choose Rome as the Holy City for Christianity because the largest domion of Christianity is Catholicism and the center of Catholicism is Rome. Also Catholicism was the first form of Christianity and Rome after several centuries of persecuting the Christians adopted it and embraced it thanks to Emperor Constantine. From that time on Rome was the center of Christianity even after the Roman empire collasp. Except for the brief "Avignon Papacy". The only other 2 logical choices for the Christian Holy City would be Jerusalem or Istanbul. Jerusalem because thats where it pretty much started, but it was mainly Jewish. Istanbul because it is where the head of the orthodox christians resides. So I think Ill keep Rome as the Holy City, but hopefully in future versions Ill be able to add other domions of Christianity to make it more realistic.

The difference between the regular and te ss version is the regular version starts at 4000 BC and the ss (ss = special start) version starts at 1890.

NOTE- Currently theres a bug in the SS version where the date becomes 3000 AD so the only version avaible is the one that starts at 4000 BC. Ill will try and fix this soon.

Why did you put Belgium as prime civ in the Benelux and not the Netherlands?

The United Kingdom of the Netherlands had fallen apart in 1830, but the Netherlands were still a lot bigger then Belgium. Depending on were in 1890 this game starts it's even possible that Luxemburg is still under Dutch control.

The leader of the Netherlands could be King William III, he died in november 1890. Or Queen Regent Emma, she was the wife of William the III and ruled until the heir to the throne (Wilhelmina) was 18 years, she ruled from 1890 until 1898. The last option would be Queen Wilhelmina herself, she ruled from 1898 until 1948.

My favourite would be Wilhelmina since during her reign two world-wars passed and she saw some of the greates turning points in history.

In my first post you will see its The Kingdom of Belgium and the Netherlands but I use Belgium for short. I chose Belgium randomly among the 2.

Good job with the scenario, I really enjoyed it so far. If you don't mind, I like to release my own modification of your scenario. All credit for the scenario still goes to you of course.

To nitpick, Italy didn't control Libya until 1912, when the Italians attacked the Ottomans after the Ottomans were weakened followng the Balkan War (when Greece, Serbia, Montenegro, and Bulgaria defeated the Turks in the Balkans and threw the Turks back to their present-day European borders).
Actually, while Montenegro started the first Balkan war claiming it was attacking the Turks, it was really engaging in a land-grab of Albanian territories, since the Albanians had already beaten the Turks back and claimed cities like Shkupi (Shkopje) and areas of northern Albania now in the state of Montenegro.

Top Bottom