1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Europe Becomes more like America everyday

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Strider, Sep 13, 2005.

1. Strider

Strider In Retrospect

http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,68809,00.html

2. Masquerouge

Masquerouge Chieftain

Actually they operate in Paris only.The Mayor of Paris, Delanoe, wanted to restrict SUVs from entering Paris but backed up because of lobbyists :p

My wish is that only taxis and buses would be allowed intra muros. That would rock. You would need more Taxis, and more parkings though.

3. GrandAdmiral

GrandAdmiral Chieftain

These guys are just asking to get beat down.

4. Urederra

Urederra Mostly harmless

I don`t like SUVs but I hate ecoterrorists. They are dictators wanna-bes. If they were head of the government they would dictate what we have to do with our money, with our time and with our life.

Edit: Eco-vigilantes, puag.... It reminds me of the mobs that burned jew´s houses in the 1940´s germany. Ecoterrorists is the proper word.

5. Rik Meleet

Rik Meleet Top predator Retired Moderator

They do that in the US as well ?
    If not; I don't see how this makes "Europe Becomes more like America everyday".

6. Masquerouge

Masquerouge Chieftain

Actually SUVs in cramped, medieval European cities are kind of a nuisance. They take too much parking space, streets are too narrow for them... SUVs are ok when the cities can accomodate them, and Paris is not one of these cities.

7. Urederra

Urederra Mostly harmless

I recall reading a piece of news similar to that one but in California. Ecoterrorists painting and-or scrapping SUVs

8. Marla_Singer

Marla_Singer United in diversity

Cool ! Paris would become a ghost city once midnight would ring. Another awesome idea from Masquerouge.

Masquerouge, I'm sure you have never noticed that 75% of cars in Paris intra muros come from the neighbouring departments (77, 78, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95). Those who drive in Paris are those who cannot come so easily in the city through public transports. You may believe that YOUR subway is terrific... but it stops at the gates of Paris. There are more than 10 million people in Paris area, not 2 million.

Furthermore, I will tell you that I'm an evil banlieusard. The kind of people you're glad they aren't allowed to vote for the mayor of the city. YES ! I love to drive by night in Paris. It's a real pleasure for me. I love to watch the city by night, to drive on the Voie George Pompidou, to get from Bastille to Montparnasse and to take the tunnels from Chatelet. I love to see the Rue de Rivoli or the Boulevard Sebastopol at 3am, filled with people.

If you want your city to be calmer, go away from the center and join the banlieue. And stop to annoy me about your story of banning cars from the city.

9. Marla_Singer

Anyway, Paris belongs to the past. Parisians want that city to become a museum. The real future of the metropolis belongs to the 92. The most prosperous and fast growing district in the region.

Hauts-de-Seine en FORCE !

10. GrandAdmiral

GrandAdmiral Chieftain

Thats the price of having cramped medival streets. Now that you mentioned it you made the vandals sound even dumber. If you don't want an SUV to take up a parking spot then why on earth would you deflate the tires so its stuck there? Thats a bigger nuissance to the driver and everyone else who uses the streets. Is there buses in Paris or not because if there is then thats not even a good excuse. Unless SUVs actually are banned then there is no excuse for this childish behavior.

11. Marla_Singer

Paris isn't a medieval city what are you talking about ? The Street layout has been planned in the late 19th century !

Moreover, I don't believe the SUV's will ever have a true success in Paris itself. Indeed, they are too large and impossible to park. However, SUV's could have a tremendous success in the rest of the country, where most people have their own garage and take their car mostly to reach another parking (hypermarket, multiplex cinema theatres, Ikea, Leroy Merlin, etc...).

The only strong limitation is their gas consumption. I believe Europeans will enjoy better a least consuming monospace than an SUV. The success of SUV's in Europe will never be as strong as in the US exactly because gas isn't free over here.

12. SonicX

SonicX Chieftain

*Looking at my tax bills*
    *Looking at my gasoline expenses*
    *Looking at one of the many obligatory insurrance bills*
    *Looking at the governement plans*

Euhm, no we ain't ... unfortenately for my wallet, but we ain't.

13. vbraun

vbraun Raytracing

Some cities look like that Cars live in the city instead of people. :shakehead

I'm not trying to imply that Paris is one of them, rather I think the opposite.

14. h4ppy

h4ppy You sir, pineapple?

No they just slash the tires here.

15. kryszcztov

kryszcztov Chieftain

:lol: That latest comment is funny ! :D I've been living in the "neuf-deux" for 25 years (apart from a year in Bordeaux at school), and I now only want to live in Paris itself. Erk, I dislike the banlieues. :( And I don't want Paris to become a museum.

What does "SUV" stand for ? It took me some time to realize what they are. But I think the real problem is about cars in general. More than traffic, what bothers me is the relative lack of parking place. That is what I hate with cars in town. I never pay my parking place in the street BTW. :D Don't know what needs to be done, really, this would need a long debate... I prefer walking over driving in Paris anyway. :)

About those stupid ecoguys, I hate them. Greenpeace, I sheet on them. They don't have any clue about what to do, and yet annoy everyone and pretend to have the "higher moral ground".

16. The Last Conformist

The Last Conformist Irresistibly Attractive

The only new thing here seems to be the alleged motive. Deflating tires has been a popular entertainment here since, well, about when they invented inflatable tires.

17. h4ppy

h4ppy You sir, pineapple?

SUV stands for Sport Utility Vehicle since it is supposed to be able to carry sporting equipment and go off road and stuff, basically a pickup with a four seats and a roof. Unfortunantly people are buying them when they really have no use for them.

18. Steph

Steph Multi Many Tasks man Retired Moderator

That's not completly true. I know someone who claim having a SUV in Paris is almost mandatory. Because with a small car you have a lot of bumps from parking, etc., and since he had a SUV, he no longer has this kind of problem :crazyeye:

SUV are useless. They are here only as a sign of pride from their owner. I suspect they can actually damage the brain of the driver (it happened to my former boss : he bought a SUV, started to play golf, his head started to get swollen, and he almost destroyed the company).

Beside, as men are said to buy big cars to compensate the size of a certain part of their anatomy, what should we thought of the Americans ;) ?

19. CivGeneral

CivGeneral Grand Moff

I think its the other way around. The Americans are becoming like Europe everyday, just look at the outragious gas prices :o.

20. Akka

Akka Moody old mage.

Comparing deflating tires without even damaging them, to terrorism and burning jew houses, is so stupid I don't understand how I can even bother to answer that -_-