Europe map - 108 by 89

NiRv4n4

King

As of February 2018, there are 2 different maps included in this download, each with 3 versions. The first is a map of Europe and the second is a map of Eurasia. For my Europe map, there is a "North Expanded", and "East Expanded" version. In these versions, each player starts with a few cities, religions are already on the board, and there are plenty of barbarians around. For my Eurasia map, there is a regular start, and an alternate start, featuring different civilizations, with plenty of barbarian cities and religions also already placed. All four of these versions can be viewed in the graphic above, or by following the download link.

Each map has a version called "Blank Start" which is what I would recommend playing first; in these versions, the number of barbarian cities are reduced, there are no religions on the map at the start, and each player starts with only a settler, warrior, and scout at the location of their capital city. This version allows for the greatest amount of freedom and unpredictability.

Aside from very old change logs from when I first made and updated this map, the rest of this post will focus on the Europe - Blank Start and Eurasia - Blank Start maps. The screenshots have been taken several turns in to show where the capital cities are located; on turn 0, you just have a settler, scout, and warrior at that location.

EUROPE - Blank Start

Isabella for Spain
Elizabeth for England
Louis XIV for France
Hannibal for Carthage
Augustus for Rome
Ragnar for Vikings
Frederick for Prussia
Charles (Charlemagne leaderhead) for Austria
Alexander for Macedonia
Catherine for Russia
Bulan (Genghis Khan leaderhead) for Khazaria
Tigranes (Gilgamesh leaderhead) for Armenia
Hatshepsut for Egypt
Saladin for Arabia
Cyrus for Persia
Kublai Khan for Mongolia
Demetrios (Pericles leaderhead) for Bactria
Asoka for India

EURASIA - Blank Start

Isabella for Spain
Elizabeth for England
Louis XIV for France
Augustus for Rome
Bismarck for Germany
Justinian for Byzantium
Peter for Russia
Mansa Musa for Mali
Zara Yaqob for Ethiopia
Ramesses II for Egypt
Saladin for Arabia
Cyrus for Persia
Asoka for India
Suryavarman II for Khmer
Genghis Khan for Mongolia
Qin Shi Huang for China
Wang Kon for Korea
Tokugawa for Japan​

Realism Invictus

I have also included my map of Europe expanded to the east adapted to Realism Invictus, there are almost 30 playable civilizations. Give it a try if you enjoy the mod. Here is a screenshot of it:​

Installation Instructions

After downloading, right click the file 'Europe & Eurasia' and click "Open containing folder".Select the file(s) you want to play, and extract them to your Civ 4 saves folder (usually found in Documents: My Games: Beyond the Sword: Saves: Worldbuilder

Then, start the game up, go to "Play Scenario" (or Custom Scenario to change up options), and enjoy!​

Civilization 5 version of map released at - http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=385112. Follow the link for info on how to install it.

Old change logs, etc:

Spoiler :

Most of the rest of this post is unaltered and references the map now identified as "Europe - North Expanded":

This is a map of Europe, 110 by 100 tiles. It includes all of Europe, north Africa, and west Asia. I made it by working off of the Europe map that came with BTS. The main reason I am posting this is to hopefully get suggestions as to what could be changed to make it better, involving balance and geographical accuracy. The map has Europe, the Middle East, and the Atlas mountain region, but I suppose you can gather the most by looking at it. The leaders are as follows, clockwise around the Mediterranean from Iberia;

Joao for Portugal
Isabella for Spain
Louis XIV for France
Victoria for England
Bismarck for Prussia
Canute (Ragnar leaderhead) for Vikings
Julius Ceasar for Rome
Charles V (Charlemagne leaderhead) for Austria
Pericles for Greece
Justinian I for Byzantines
Peter for Russia
Aetias (Brennus leaderhead) for Scythians (located in Ukraine)
Genghis Khan for Mongols
Tigranes II (Gilgamesh) for Armenia
Cyrus for Persia
Hatshepsut for Egypt
Hannibal for Carthage

Maps from previous versions -
Spoiler :

4.0 map
Spoiler :

3.0 map
Spoiler :

2.5 map
Spoiler :

2.0 maps
Europe - Improved
Spoiler :

Alternate version - Europe - Danmark
Spoiler :

1.6 map
Spoiler :

1.5 map
Spoiler :

1.2 map
Spoiler :

1.1 map
Spoiler :

1.0 map
Spoiler :

I placed all of the resources and redid all of the terrain by hand (Mesopotamia going into the Persian Gulf was quite an issue, as well as completely redoing Iberia), and made static starting positions. I have playtested quite a few times on this, and Russia, Germany, and Greece usually came out on top, although there are rather frequently exceptions. However, they were for the most part rather even by 150 turns in.

Previous changes
Spoiler :
Note for version 1.1 - Added the Byzantines to the Carpathian Basin area, and have changed some aspects to make it more balanced.

Note for version 1.2 - Fixed up Iberia and north Africa, made a lot of minor changes and balanced it a lot more.

Note for version 1.5 - Made a bunch of changes since last time, changes in leaders and such. Redid resources, and made a bunch of other minor changes. So, any suggestions by people would be great, and I would appreciate it.

Note for Version 2.0 - In this, I added another file (Europe - Danmark) which bears the distinction that the Vikings start in Denmark, not Norway, and a land bridge is made between Denmark and Sweden. Other changes were made as well.

Note for version 2.5 - In this version, the Norse are only located in Denmark. Portugal has been added in, with appropriate resource restructuring to make things more balanced.

Note for version 3.0 - The map has been expanded southward, courtesy of Mapview, and Arabia was replaced with a more location-appropriate Egypt. The other, smaller, Arabia map is included as "Europe - Arabia", so if you want to play as Saladin, use that one.

Note for version 4.0 - Many changes have been made since the last version. The British Isles, Levant, and Pontic coasts have all been redesigned, and various mountain ranges have received changes (Alps now have a defined Swiss region, Atlas mountains are not so enormous, Ural mountains are more resource rich to help the often-lagging Mongols). I have removed the Turks of central Anatolia and replaced them with the Byzantines in Constantinople. Also, a new civilization, the Armenian Empire, has been added into the Armenian Highland. Bonus resources were all erased and re-placed according to balance and regional geography. This map may or may not be more balanced than the 3.0 version; as I notice certain areas of imbalance, I will adjust my worldbuilder save, and occasionally re-upload the more balanced file as I deem fit.

Note for version 5.0 - in this update, the map has been expanded two tiles both to the east and to the south. The regions of Iran, Turkestan, Bohemia, Pomerania, Iberia, and more, have all been changed. One particular problem was the northern latitude of the Persian Gulf; this has been corrected. Also included in this version is an alternative map, "Europe - Cities Placed". In that scenario, each civilization begins with three major cities, and barbarian cities abound. To keep the Levant competitive, Saladin has been added into that file. I will experiment with certain city arrangements to see what works best. Religions are all pre-placed, and you can expect the game to take off much more quickly with 3 cities and a collection of units. To compensate for this, both the "Europe - Improved" file and the "Europe - Cities Placed" file have less bonus resources, so the game won't end at AD 600.

Last edited:
Hi, I just played your map as the Celts, and it felt really lonely in the eastern Europe. Maybe you should add a civ in the areas of Poland/Lithuania and a civ in the Balkans.
Maybe even a civ for Austria, if Germany doesn't get too crowded.

Nice map :)

Thanks for the input. I know that the Celts and Carthage (and to some extent the Mongols) are generally more isolated and less well off than the other civs. The problem is, I don't know what civilization to add. If I knew the best civilization adder mods (i.e. a Polish one and Serbian or something) then I would attempt to find some way to integrate it into the map.

I'll also try to make the terrain of east Europe more interesting, as it is mostly grassland and rivers, with a few forests and hills. So, if anyone with more knowledge around here can give me some pointers to good civ adding mods, It would be great.

Edit: I changed it to make it more interesting. Instead of the Carpathian Mountains being a free for all area, the Byzantines now start there.

The Western half of Iberia is in need of reworking. Portugal seems to have been torn off and the Southern part, around Cadiz, Gibraltar and Malaga should be pcked with hills.

Alright, I have updated this mod quite a bit, never got around to re-uploading it. I'll look into your suggestions, and have a new one up soon. Thanks for the feedback.

EDIT: I just updated it, changes are described in original post

Well, what you need to do is do everything as directed on the first post, and then before you start the game up, open the file "Europe - Improved" with notepad, and then, replace
Spoiler :
BeginPlayer
Team=15
LeaderType=NONE
CivType=NONE
Color=NONE
ArtStyle=NONE
Handicap=HANDICAP_NOBLE
EndPlayer

with
Spoiler :
BeginPlayer
Team=15
LeaderType=LEADER_JOAO
LeaderName=Joao
CivDesc=TXT_KEY_CIV_PORTUGAL_DESC
CivShortDesc=TXT_KEY_CIV_PORTUGAL_SHORT_DESC
CivAdjective=TXT_KEY_CIV_PORTUGAL_ADJECTIVE
FlagDecal=Art/Interface/TeamColor/FlagDECAL_Portugal.dds
WhiteFlag=0
CivType=CIVILIZATION_PORTUGAL
Color=PLAYERCOLOR_DARK_DARK_GREEN
ArtStyle=ARTSTYLE_EUROPEAN
PlayableCiv=1
MinorNationStatus=0
StartingGold=0
StartingX=7, StartingY=29
StateReligion=
StartingEra=ERA_ANCIENT
RandomStartLocation=false
CivicOption=CIVICOPTION_GOVERNMENT, Civic=CIVIC_DESPOTISM
CivicOption=CIVICOPTION_LEGAL, Civic=CIVIC_BARBARISM
CivicOption=CIVICOPTION_LABOR, Civic=CIVIC_TRIBALISM
CivicOption=CIVICOPTION_ECONOMY, Civic=CIVIC_DECENTRALIZATION
CivicOption=CIVICOPTION_RELIGION, Civic=CIVIC_PAGANISM
Handicap=HANDICAP_NOBLE
EndPlayer

and replace
Spoiler :
BeginTeam
TeamID=15
ContactWithTeam=15
RevealMap=0
EndTeam

with
Spoiler :
BeginTeam
TeamID=15
Tech=TECH_FISHING
Tech=TECH_MINING
ContactWithTeam=0
RevealMap=0
EndTeam

You can find these sections by using the search feature, ctrl+f.
Also, the formatting needs to be adjusted. After replacing the two old selections with the two new ones in notepad, you have to press the "tab" key before all the lines but "BeginTeam" and "EndTeam". Otherwise, it won't work right. Don't know how to get around that, sorry.
Then, start up the game, and at the bottom of the select civ list, Portugal should be there. Also, if you want to alter the map to accustom for Portugal, load the map up as Greece, enter the worldbuilder, and mess around with the Portugal region. Hope this helps

hey! i put the map in My Documents, My Games, Civilization V, Maps but i cant find them in the game, i go to mods start up game and i cant find em under maps, is there any problem with or i em doing something wrong?

hey! i put the map in My Documents, My Games, Civilization V, Maps but i cant find them in the game, i go to mods start up game and i cant find em under maps, is there any problem with or i em doing something wrong?
This is a Civilization 4 map, the link on top is to the Civilization 5 map. You probably downloaded the Civ4 map and thought it was Civ5 map. I guess I made it a bit misleading, will change it.

thanks.i downloaded civ 4 maps that was the problem :)).this is cool map i always play europe maps.there is one map for bts its europe 61x45 its large map and if you could make it for civ 5 it would be super the resourses are almose realystic.if you dont have tha map i can sand you try e mail.

It's been over 8 months, and I think that the map is just as I want it. Some more minor balancing regarding the new Egypt civ may be necessary, but the new and final version is out. At this point, while I still prefer Civ 4, I'll work more on my Civ 5 map.

One concern is some civs (most notably Russia) have far more room to expand than the rest and thus will end up dominating before facing rivals. Is this intentional, or is it just an inevitability based on how the civs were laid out in reality?

Also, I feel you may have placed resources too densely, but maybe that's just me. It does make for faster-growing cities, which leads to the continent being populated faster, though, maybe that was your intent?

One concern is some civs (most notably Russia) have far more room to expand than the rest and thus will end up dominating before facing rivals. Is this intentional, or is it just an inevitability based on how the civs were laid out in reality?

Also, I feel you may have placed resources too densely, but maybe that's just me. It does make for faster-growing cities, which leads to the continent being populated faster, though, maybe that was your intent?
Yes, I tried to make resource density variable depending on space - so Russia has a good amount of resources on the rivers, but little to none in the forest. Perhaps I gave them too much - I'll give the game one more go to see how the balance is.

As for the density being high in general, I prefer it that way - although reaching the Renaissance time period at 1000 is a little inaccurate. I'll balance the map and make resources better for the game some time in the next week.

Top Bottom