1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Europe Through The Ages: Revised, Revamped, Remade, Re...something else

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Scenarios' started by nutnut, Jul 13, 2009.

1. nutnut

nutnut Budding Modder

Screenshots attached. This mod/scenario was built upon WoC.

Well, I had originally planned to release this months ago, but being a Civ4 Complete user and a Vista user I had endless problems. But now I have a fully-stable, 28 civ Europe Scenario for your enjoyment.

This scenario isn't designed to represent any particular era of history in Europe, but instead all of it. For the English it's about uniting the British Isles and then invading France. For the French it's about bringing the area under the control of the Royal Domain. The Celts have two purposes, representing Burgundy for the French and Gaul for the Romans. Spain and Portugal have the Reconquista (though it's far too easy at present). Russia and Finland are in a position to wage endless, futile war. In the Balkans it's all about resisting Ottoman Invasion, in Central Europe it's German Unification (again, way too easy).

Each civ starts with 3 cities (except Albania) and a small army. The map is the one that came with civ4, and semi-random resources (I let the map generate random resources, then modified it to encourage isolated eastern civs to expand towards Europe.

This scenario is by no means complete, I have plans to add a few more civs, RevDCM, a scrollable scoreboard, change the Religions, and it still has balance issues. This is a call to arms for playtesters to give me more things to change.

Civ List
    England - Richard I
    France - Louis XIV
    Celtia - Brennus
    Spain - Isabella
    Portugal - Joao II
    Rome - Augustus Caesar
    Holy Roman Empire - Charles V
    Netherlands (and Flanders) - Willem Van Oranje
    Prussia- Frederick
    Norway - Harald III
    Sweden - Ragnar
    Finland - Kekkonen
    Russia - Peter
    Poland - Walesa
    Hungary - Mattyas Corvinus
    Austria - Maria Theresa
    Croatia - Tomislav
    Serbia - Dusan
    Albania - Teuta
    Greece - Pericles
    Byzantium - Justinian I
    Ottomans - Mehmed II
    Arabia - Saladin
    Egypt - Ramesses II
    Babylonia - Hammurabi
    Georgia - David IV
    Astrakhan - Kublai Khan
    Ukraine - Tymoshenko

Religions
    Christianity Represents Catholicism
    Confucianism Represents Orthodoxy
    Hinduism - Nordic Paganism
    Taoism - Celtic Paganism
    Buddhism (sp?) - Hellenism
    Islam, Zoroastrianism and Judaism are themselves

Europe Through The Ages 2.02

Changelog
    • Gave Russia two Settlers two encourage expansion
    • Gave Russia a larger military to defend the Settlers
    • Turned Cordoba, Tunis, Rome, Frankfurt, Berlin, Prague, Wien, Vilnius, Riga, Novgorod, Trebizond, Constantinople, Athens, Babylon and Jerusalem into super cities (larger population, several buildings pre-built, defences in place)

• Removed the German Settler and Warrior in Anatolia
    • Added units to the barbarian cities
    • Gave Ukraine Orthodoxy

• Turned the scenario into a mod

Downloadhttp://www.filefront.com/14031611/ETTA.rar

Credits
    • Firaxis - For making the game
    • Firaxis - For the map
    • The WoC Team - Their work was the base for this mod
    • The WoC Team - I used most of the Modules they created

Attached Files:

2. nutnut

nutnut Budding Modder

To-Do List
    • Add Armenia
    • Add Kypchaks
    • Add Lithuania
    • Add another civ in the Middle-East
    • Add RevDCM
    • Add Scrollable Scoreboard
    • Change the Religions
    • Cut down on the art files to create a smaller download

3. nutnut

nutnut Budding Modder

Ayn comments, gripes, queries, anyone?

4. johny smith

johny smith Chieftain

Just saw this. Sounds interesting. :)

The scrolling scoreboard of mine is not really needed if you are using BUG. There is a modification already in RevDCM that makes pages of the scoreboard. You can select how many are on a page with it and scroll through each page, but I know my scoreboard idea has some point anyway just not sure about how well it works.

I have not looked at this yet, but if you want more religion stuff in general you might want to look at my developing Rapture mod. I got some more denominations although they are just recolored in most cases for the buildings. Some better units as well but have a high polycount. Anyway they WoCified mostly already.

My one question really is what is the total timeline of this. I mean through the ages I see as a title. But what is the starting year? I might try it I ever get out my head out of my mod.

5. nutnut

nutnut Budding Modder

It starts at -2000BC, Classical Era. I tried using your Rapture Mod before I installed the 3.19 patch and it simply crashed every time I started a game, the Civilopedia worked fine, so all I could do was sit and gawp and the sheer scale of it. It seems a very impressive mod, have you updated it to 3.19 yet?

6. kochman

kochman Chieftain

I will DL this and give it a whirl...

From your earlier post... you couldn't modify the religions to different names and holy symbols?
    I am trying to figure out why the split between the two types of Christianity, when really that split was either not really there at all or poorly defined for more centuries than not so. That could just be nit-picky though.

7. nutnut

nutnut Budding Modder

In a lot of cases Orthodoxy was viewed by the Catholic Church in a similar light to Islam. If I recall correctly the Pope donated plenty of money to the Venitians whilst they were at war with the Byzantine Empire.

By the way, would anyone be interested in a 3.19 version of this (and a helluva smaller download, seeing as the current size is ridiculous for a scenario)?

8. kochman

kochman Chieftain

Venice attacked Constantinople in 1204. This was done for money anyhow, pretty crappy story of total betrayal of Crusaders (because they believed they were doing good) by the Church and a twisted Pope and led to the final collapse of Constantinople.
    (For that matter, there were also Crusades in S. France, etc. against "heretics")

Anyhow, that means, for 1200 years, there was not a war between the two. For much of that time, there wasn't even a clear division between the two.
    The real "schism" is put down as occuring near 1054, but this is by historians in hindsight. At the time there was still hope of reconciliation.

I would hardly say that any Pope truly considered Orthodoxy the equivalent (or similar) of Islam. Orthodox are allowed to take communion in a Catholic Church. Muslims are not (nor are Protestants for that matter). I am fairly certain, the Pope was rooting for the Orthodox just about every damn time (there may be a battle or two through history that are exceptions) they fought the Muslims. The call for the 1st Crusade especially indicates this.

Regardless, I guess my point is... since I have been very circuitous about it, is there some allowance for a difference in leader "attitude" between fellow but differing Christians, as well as fellow pagans, as compared to Christian vs. pagan, or Christian vs. Muslim leaders/countries?
    Its a game mechanics point probably, as I don't think the game allows for such differences in degree of intolerance, does it?

I definitely want to play this, and I am also curious why Protestantism was left out completely.
    Unless I am mistaken, the following were all Protestants:
    Netherlands - Willem Van Oranje
    Prussia- Frederick
    Finland - Kekkonen

9. nutnut

nutnut Budding Modder

Well I felt that Protestantism (and its various sub-divisions), all arrived too late. The Defenestration of Prague was in 1618 (as far as I remember), that's not even 400 years ago. It only comes in 3618 years into the Scenario, whereas the others I can get away with.

10. kochman

kochman Chieftain

OK, I may know history... but I am a brick when it comes to computer stuff sometimes...

I DLed it, and placed it in the "BTS/Mods" folder...
    It loaded up fine, but then what? I tried to select the "Europe" Huge map... and it didn't work.

Can you give a Barney level breakdown of installing this properly? And what to select to play the scenario?

11. nutnut

nutnut Budding Modder

In the download there should be a folder with Maps in the title (I'm on a different computer at the moment so I can't remember whether it was PrivateMaps or PublicMaps). Take the file inside it and place it into your Public Maps file for Beyond the Sword. Load up the mod, look through scenarios until you find Europe Through The Ages, and then enjoy.

12. kochman

kochman Chieftain

Hmmm... I patched to 3.19, and it doesn't seem to load the Mod anymore...
    Has this been updated? or do I have some other issue?

13. nutnut

nutnut Budding Modder

It's for 3.17. I'm not going to update it yet. I've got some other ideas bouncing around for this and I wish to drastically reduce the file size by not using the WoC Modular System and making it mostly XML. Also, a lot of areas of the map need to be filled up first.

14. nutnut

nutnut Budding Modder

So that you can all get an idea of my future plns with this mod (which is now going to be based on RevDCM and not WoC, and the Civs will be added using XML from now on) I suggest you look at this thread.

And here's a list of civs for the next release (which I don't see being ready for another couple of weeks).

1. English Empire
    2. French Empire
    3. Celtic Empire
    4. Spanish Empire
    5. Portuguese Empire
    6. Moorish Empire
    7. Hafsid Empire
    8. Roman Empire
    9. Holy Roman Empire
    10. Dutch Empire
    11. Norwegian Empire
    12. Swedish Empire
    13. Finnish Empire
    14. Russian Empire
    15. Lithuanian Empire
    16. Prussian Empire
    17. Polish Empire
    18. Austrian Empire
    19. Hungarian Empire
    20. Serbian Empire
    21. Greek Empire
    22. Bulgarian Empire
    23. Ukrainian Empire
    24. Bosporus Empire
    25. Mongolian Empire
    26. Georgian Empire
    27. Armenian Empire
    28. Ottoman Empire
    29. Arabian Empire
    30. Egyptian Empire
    31. Babylonian Empire
    32. Persian Empire

15. kochman

kochman Chieftain

Looks cool.
    Am I correct in assuming this release will be BtS 3.19 compatible?

16. nutnut

nutnut Budding Modder

Indeed it will.

On another note, I have a semi-finalised Ethnic Groups list:

1. British
    1.1. English
    1.2. Scottish
    1.3. Welsh
    1.4. Irish
    2. French
    3. Celtic
    4. Spanish
    5. Portuguese
    6. North African
    7. Italian
    8. Swiss
    9. German
    10. Flemish
    11. Norse
    12. Finnish
    13. Russian
    14. Lithuanian
    15. Polish
    16. Czech
    17. Hungarian
    18. Croatian
    19. Serbian
    20. Bulgarian
    21. Greek
    22. Turkish
    23. Romanian
    24. Ukrainian
    25. Mongol
    26. Arabian
    27. Persian
    28. Egyptian
    29. Hebrew

If anyone can think of more, that would be fantastic.

Also, I have another civ list, though this one is completely different from the one I've already posted. As this will be based on RevDCM, I'll need some more Civs. These Civs won't be placed in the Scenario but will spring up over time from Barbarian Cities and Revolutions:

1. Scotland
    2. Ireland
    3. Wales
    4. Normandy
    5. Brittany
    6. Burgundy
    7. Euskaldunak (Basques)
    8. Catalonia
    9. Cordoba
    10. Algiers
    11. Sicily
    12. Savoy
    13. Venice
    14. Switzerland
    15. Bavaria
    16. Belgium
    17. Flanders
    18. Denmark
    19. Croatia
    20. Albania
    21. Romania
    22. Israel
    23. Azerbaijan
    24. Karelia

Which means this Mod will include around 60 civs, though I am open to more suggestions (no matter how bizarre or obscure they are). I will include smaller maps with less civs at the start as well, so that people who either prefer small maps or can't run huge maps can still play.

17. nutnut

nutnut Budding Modder

Damn it. Converting Modular Civs to XML is a lengthy process, anyone wanna help (a lot of the civs I wish to include haven't been made by the Civ4 Modding Community yet, and I simply don't have the time to do all of this)?

18. kochman

kochman Chieftain

I have recently completed mods of Venice and Norman Sicily. Would you like those?
    I was also going to work on the Kingdom of Jerusalem.

19. nutnut

nutnut Budding Modder

I'm more than happy to steal those. KoJ could be useful, I didn't have plans to add them but now that you mention it, they're a good choice. What I'm really looking for though are simple civs with just the XML files and a Leaderhead (no worries about Unique Units or anything) for places lake Savoy and Algeria.

20. kochman

kochman Chieftain

Once I finish KoJ, I will post a link to download them all (there will be S. Africa in there also...).
    I would expect that I could be done by the end of the week at the earliest.