1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Europe to Challenge Google

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by SeleucusNicator, Jan 16, 2006.

1. MamboJoel

MamboJoel Cool.

Hey, it's just an info. You guys that think he hates America should read his bio (besides, I'm far from beeing a pro-Chirac, and I also have the american nationality). Also, be aware that shortcuts between terrorists and democratic leaders are not going to make anybody love America.

2. MamboJoel

MamboJoel Cool.

And BTW, a market 80% dominated by one actor is not a saturated market ...

3. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

My apologies, I used the word "dollars" to be synonymous with "money". I had forgotten that they are not the same word.

4. EdwardTking

EdwardTking Deity

I think that this gallic initiative is a splendid idea.

Google is very good, but there are other approaches, and
    initiatives that improve user choice can benefit us all.

Yanks should stop complaining, it is not their money, they
    did not invent HTTP and have no right to expect a monopoly.

Note to self:

Must be careful where typing "cheese eating surrender monkeys",
    lest a flotilla of irate froggie cyclists arrive and decide to cut off
    my middle finger or murder me by force feeding me d'escargots.

5. El_Machinae

I don't think that any non-French are complaining. We're just expressing sympathy for the French tax-payers. In general, for a government to do something properly, it costs about 10x what it would take a corporation to do.

6. GrandAdmiral

GrandAdmiral Deity

I'm not saying that he hates America I'm just saying the fact that he went to an American university isn't evidence that he doesn't. If you a lot of the big American Universities well you will know that they have a reputation for being very leftist and as being centers for protest against the US government.

Google's marketshare is not 80%. Its far from it, more like 40%. Just to give you an idea "Google's market share of U.S. searches for July was at 36.9% compared with 37.5% in May, after having an increase of 100 basis points in May. Yahoo had a 30.4% market share, a gain of 23 basis points, and MSN had a share of 15.7%, a gain of 48 basis points." Outside the US its even lower.

7. GrandAdmiral

GrandAdmiral Deity

Oh you mean like this. Splendid.

"The Japanese government has unveiled a plan to develop its own internet search engine in a bid to loosen Google’s grip on the web." Japan Times

8. El_Machinae

What type of market share are you quoting?

Doesn't everyone Google when doing a search?

9. bhsup

bhsup Deity

And before I Yahood!, I Altavistad, and before I Altavistad, I Webcrawled. I even Lycosed for a brief time somewhere in there. Yes, I purposely turned those into verbs to show how silly they sound. Google isn't a frakkin' verb, folks! Er, okay, I suppose webcrawled actually sounds okay.

That isn't to say I don't have a couple of gmail email accounts, but they're unused. Besides, my Yahoo! mail is just as good.

10. Masquerouge

Masquerouge Deity

But sometimes only a government can properly tackle things.

Not a search engine, allright :)

But anyway I see little difference between the US funding its aeronautic industry with huge military orders from the Pentagon, and say France funding its high-tech industry with giving money for bringing out the next Google.
    Would you say the US aeronautic industry was penalized by the government's orders ?

11. nonconformist

nonconformist Miserable

G-mail is the only email server large enough for it to function as an extra harddrive.

12. El_Machinae

Oh, goodness no. But the taxpayer was. Do you think they get good value out of all those government expenditures? Maybe they get some, but probably not very much on a straight $ basis.

Plus, we could be putting Air Force money into a Space Elevator!

13. Verbose

Verbose Deity

"Dollar" is actually a corruption of the German "Thaler" — as in "Maria Theresia Thaler", that big, nice, shiny, high gold content, quality coin the Austrians minted for a couple of centuries, which made it a world standard.

14. bhsup

bhsup Deity

Nonono. Space guns, please. It's doable today.

15. El_Machinae

???

We're on different wave lengths again. A Space Elevator would be a huge strategic advantage, because it would reduce the cost of accessing space. Space guns? Don't need 'em.

16. bhsup

bhsup Deity

I think you misunderstand what I mean by 'space gun'. Please read the link I provided in this post I made in the Space Elevator is Civ thread. Also, so we don't further hijack this thread away from google, if you want to respond to it, probably best to do it in that thread instead.

17. GrandAdmiral

GrandAdmiral Deity

The difference is in France's situation their finding isn't providing a customer. In order to bring out the next Google they need customers, lots more then Microsoft and Yahoo have come up with and none of their ideas are any good not to mention they haven't got a clue how its going to actually be as successfull as Google.

18. GrandAdmiral

GrandAdmiral Deity

Space guns, destroy enemy satellite network crippling communication, entertainment, gps and laser guided munitions and foreign space elevators.

19. wit>trope

wit>trope Deity

A European Google will never work. They will censor search results. Google, being an American company, does not have to do that. (For instance a European Google will probably censor results from historians who say that 4 million Jews died in the Holocaust)

This is also why international control of the Internet is a bad bad bad idea ... especial control governed by the UN since China -- as well as France etc -- have a veto power. China even censors part of Google (they censor Google caches of webpages)

Internet and Search belongs to America.

Moderator Action: This is a troll - Warned - Rik

20. The Yankee

The Yankee The New Yawker Retired Moderator

Where the heck did you get the idea that Quaero or whatever it's called would be in the business of censorship? I did not notice anything in the OP about that.