Europe to fund new Russian spacecraft?

More from Wiki:

More "space races" to come?

The possibility of a second international space race appeared at the end of the 20th century, with the European Space Agency taking the lead in commercial rocket launches with Ariane 4, and competing in unmanned space exploration with NASA. ESA's efforts have culminated into ambitious plans such as the Aurora Programme that intends to send a human mission to Mars no later than 2030, and has set various flagship missions to reach this goal. With US President Bush's similar announcement in 2004, outlining a timeframe for the construction and mission plan of the Crew Exploration Vehicle (a subsequent return to the Moon and later to Mars by 2030), the two major space agencies have similar plans. As of 2005 ESA might have a headstart, as it has teamed up with Russia. They are likely to co-fund and develop the CEV counterpart Kliper spacecraft that is scheduled to first launch in 2011, years earlier than its American opponent, which is yet in an early draft status.

Other nations are also capable of increasing competition in space exploration. Although funding is not in the same league with ESA or NASA, the successful manned space flight of Shenzhou 5 by the People's Republic of China has shown what other countries can achieve.

I notice some annoyance that naughty Europe and naughty Russia should aspire to peopled activity in space.

I suggest the poster look to the reliability and cost-effectiveness of both European and Soviet space programs - currently, and for some time now - both factors significantly superior to those exhibited by NASA - that bloated inefficient and self-serving monolith :goodjob: ;) that's my opinion.

The spacecraft proposed suggests to move people and supplies significantly more cheaply than the US version - at least from my brief researches...

Gr3yL3gion said:
Who cares? Soon China will join the space race too.

It will, but it is now decades behind the US, Europe or Russia. That's why it is so closely cooperating with Russia and Europe.

Mountain-God said:
I suggest the poster look to the reliability and cost-effectiveness of both European and Soviet space programs - currently, and for some time now - both factors significantly superior to those exhibited by NASA - that bloated inefficient and self-serving monolith :goodjob: ;) that's my opinion.

Actually, ESA was founded as a commercial organisation, so it has to be cost-effective ;)

I think the competition is a good thing. In the future I believe more will be accomplished in terms of space travel and science if the USA, Europe, Russia and China are competing for achievements. It has to be more productive than NASA on it's own.

Winner said:
Who said anything about the government? And IMHO the cash flow from North America is much higher ;)

It is a Euro less for the Russians spend on space for every Euro spent on space by Europe. Isn't it?

Zarn said:
Europe is funding Putin's government?

Are you that angry with the US? It's kind of disturbing. :(

You should see the thread made by Aleph-null on the US supposedly needing to withdraw for all international space projects.
Or Guled Orwell in this very thread saying that Somalia has a better chance than Europe than launching a manning mission.
You will then understand whu Europe has mixed feelings about collaborating with the US... ;)

It looks like the early Star Trek -universe space ships from the pre-United Federation of Planets era when Earth was at war with Romulus... NERD! :blush:

Can you explain what you are talking about?

Zarn said:
It is a Euro less for the Russians spend on space for every Euro spent on space by Europe. Isn't it?

Well, they're obviously unable (or unwilling) to pay for it themselves, so without the EU support, the project would be canceled and all the money would go back to the government.

It is much better to cooperate with Russia on peaceful space projects, than to fund their military.

Top Bottom