1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

European Fury Development Thread

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by EuropeanFury, Dec 17, 2005.

1. Mirc

Mirc Not mIRC!!!

Did you post the tree here? :)

2. EuropeanFury

EuropeanFury Tired Grumpy Warrior

No, I haven't. I have to make sure I don't release to much information about the project.

But Topgun just finished a Romanian copter... maybe use this as Romanian Modern UU?

3. LMR

LMR Back In Green!

I was just gonna suggest that :)

4. Mirc

Mirc Not mIRC!!!

I asked for information about UUs on a history forum, I hope I'll get some ideas from there. :)

And I've also thought about culture groups, but I don't really know where to put some of the civs. So far my list is:

Latin civilizations - Italy, France, Spain, Romania
    Slavic civilizations - Lithuania, Yugoslavia, Russia, Poland, Ukraine
    Germanic civilizations - Sweden, Germany, England, Denmark, Scotland, Austria.
    Middle Eastern civilizations (containing the whole Muslim/Arab world, so including North Africa) - Morocco, Turkey, Carthage, and I just realized that Persia/Iran nor Egypt are not in!

Uncertain: Switzerland (where should they be included, in Latin or Germanic civs?), Greece (don't fit in any of the categories above, though we could put them with the Slavs, even if we know it's not correct, because they are from the Balkans and the modern day Greeks are partially Slavs, I guess), Finland (should I put them in the Germanic group?), Celts (do they fit anywhere?), and I'm not sure about placing Carthage where it is now. :)

At first I thought the best grouping would be Western European, Eastern European, Mediterranean, Middle-Eastern, Scandinavian, but that would mean having identical city sets for Italy and Morocco! :crazyeye: (as well as other significant problems, bigger than the ones this grouping has)

5. LMR

LMR Back In Green!

I would put Switzerland in the Germanic group. i think it was ruled by the Holy Roman Empire for a time, but im not sure...

6. EuropeanFury

EuropeanFury Tired Grumpy Warrior

Finland would go nicely in the Germanic category... it makes sense if Sweden and Denmark are in there.

7. Mirc

Mirc Not mIRC!!!

OK then, thanks for the help LMR! And EF of course. ;)

Edited version of the grouping above:

Latin civilizations - Italy, France, Spain, Romania
    Slavic civilizations - Lithuania, Yugoslavia, Russia, Poland, Ukraine
    Germanic civilizations - Sweden, Germany, England, Denmark, Scotland, Austria, Finland, Switzerland.
    Middle Eastern civilizations (containing the whole Muslim/Arab world, so including North Africa) - Morocco, Turkey, Carthage, and I just realized that neither Persia/Iran nor Egypt are not in!

What about Celts? Greeks could have their group, but I don't know if placing 1 civ in a group is a good idea.

8. Mirc

Mirc Not mIRC!!!

Small update:

Remember that history forum I was talking about? I asked there, and my thread has about 75 views already. No answer, of course. :( Some guy told me in PM (it is beyond me why he didn't tell me in my thread, but...) that Age of Empires might have some of the names we need.

So who can find some documentation or look by himself for names for the following units? Just names, not actual units to put in game!

Finland - industrial
    Morocco - industrial
    Lithuania - medieval
    Lithuania - industrial
    Switzerland - industrial
    France - ancient
    Poland - ancient
    Poland - industrial
    Ukraine - ancient
    Ukraine - industrial
    Ukraine - medieval

This is without the modern units that we're missing... :(

:please:

Edit: I have some suggestions. How about Khazar Rider for ancient Ukraine? Would it fit? The Khazars ruled Ukraine until the 9th century, but they settled there before 600 AD (possibly even before 500 AD, my documentation was unclear). Is this too late for Ancient Age?

9. LMR

LMR Back In Green!

Khazar Rider sounds good. Maybe the modern unit should be a Soviet tank or something?

How about Wyrm's Polish Cavalry for the Polish Industrial? I know its from 1939, but...

10. Partizanac

Partizanac Serbian Ambassador in CFC

11. LMR

LMR Back In Green!

How about Alpine Infantry for the Finnish Industrial. I dont know if there is a unit with skiis, but there is the Spetsnaz unit, or you could use the modern paratrooper i guess. something dressed in white, anyway :)

EDIT: how about this one? i know its a german, but if you change the victory animation to either nothing or the fidget in the INI file, you could get away with it :)

12. embryodead

embryodead Caliph

some suggestions:

Morocco - industrial : Barbary Pirate! They were very active from 17th to 19th cent.

Lithuania - medieval : Light Cavalry, Tatar Mercenary Cavalry

France - ancient : Frankish Axeman, Throwing Axeman, or just Gallic Warrior/Swordsman

Poland - ancient : didn't exist in ancient times, but old tribal names would be a Polan(e) or even earlier, Lechian; not much of a UU though.

Poland - industrial : either Lancer (famous unit, 18th-20th cent.), or Kawaleria (just means "cavalry", 20th cent. e.g. the Wyrm's unit)

Ukraine - ancient : Khazars were of turkic and Ukrainians of slavic/norse origins, I wouldn't mix them up; it's like giving Arab units to Spain (or maybe you go that route, then it's fine I guess). I'd pick something from the early (viking) Kievan Rus repertoire, even if it's not exactly ancient (like Ladya).

Ukraine - industrial / medieval : definitely the Cossack (it's not really a Russian UU if you have Ukraine in game...), in both eras even, two kinds if needed.

13. LMR

LMR Back In Green!

Some great ideas there ED :thumbsup:

I especially like the Barbary Pirate :)

How about giving the Boyar to someone? Either Russia if the Cossack goes to Ukraine, or the Ukraine if the Cossack stays put

14. Mirc

Mirc Not mIRC!!!

Those are great suggestions. Thanks a lot guys.

@embroydead: I know the Khazars are not Ukrainian, it was just the only thing I could come up with. :D

The Tatar Mercenary Cavalry sounds really great, but its name is a bit too long. :lol: I know it's not important, but I think it will overlap the info box from the bottom-right. :) Might be a good idea though.

Maybe Lechian archer for Ancient Poland? :)

Kawaleria could be an idea. But if we would have just named units with the name of an existing civ unit in the language of the civ (with different graphics), there would have been no problem with the Romanian units, I could have just proposed "Arcas", "Spadasin", "Cavalerie", "Infanterie", "Legiune", "Tanc", etc.

Boyar could be an idea, but belonging to who? The Boyars were everywhere in Eastern Europe...

I like the name of Throwing Axeman, but it sounds a bit strange or made up, or is it just me? I know it's not made up, but maybe some people will find it strange. :)

Barbary Pirate is a really great idea!! [party]

15. LMR

LMR Back In Green!

i guess the Boyar should a backup for the east euro civs (russia, lithuania, poland, ukraine). if we can't think of a medieval unit, insert the Boyar :D

If the Tatar Mercenary Cavalry is too long, you could shorten it to either Tatar Cavalry or Tatar Mercenary. since there is only going to be one Tatar mercenary unit (i presume :confused:) then you probably dont need to specify that it is a cavalry unit.

Perhaps the Ukraine modern unit could be either the T-84 or an Antonov transport plane?

16. Mirc

Mirc Not mIRC!!!

^ Good ideas. :) I'll start organizing the new UU names, to see what we're still missing.

17. embryodead

embryodead Caliph

The Tatar unit can be shortened of course. Tatar Cavalry may be better since those Tatars settled in the Polish-Lithuanian lands and provided military service on a feudal basis.

No Boyars in Poland, for sure. Another possibility for early Medieval Russian/Ukrainian (if you use Cossacks later) is Druzhinnik (from Druzhina)

Lechian Archer is probably alright. And unless you've made the Lancer available to everyone, you should include the unit for Poland somehow, it was a type of unit that influenced all of European cavalry during the Napoleonic era.

18. LMR

LMR Back In Green!

Lithuanian Industrial?

19. TopGun

TopGun 258 kills

I haven't read the whole thread... but would you guys be interested in what I have done for my European Mod thus far? I have an Excel spreadsheet with most (not all) civ-specific tech trees.

Let me know if you'd like to take a peek.

20. Mirc

Mirc Not mIRC!!!

@TopGun: Of course, this would be of very much use for us! Thanks! :D

@embroydead and LMR!: Great suggestions, again. Thanks a lot! :thanx: