1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

European Union

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by citis, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Deity

Placing so much conditions on that EU idea would make it too rare to bother coding, though. Greece or Netherlands-without-colonies would be too weak anyway, so it does look like Germany would receive the only significant benefit from the idea. The OP was definitely more ambitious then that, positing that it should almost always happen.

And it's not like Greece being in the EU made her economy stronger...

I am actually not really a fan of the whole Congress system in RFC, anyway. I don't think that it should be removed, but if it didn't exist, it would be no big of a loss. The only significant benefit Vanilla RFC congresses had is occasional simulation of Euro colonialism, but today we have Trade Companies for that.

2. citis

citis Deity

recieving the lst feedback it can be made this way:
    euro civs that have colonies are strong economies=> they'll reject the union
    weak eurocivs will become members of the EU

In fact EU will counterbalance decolonised european civs. For example Portugal and Spain are doomed after the spawn of South Africa. Every european civ is doomed if respawn on late game. For example let's say that England was conquered by Vikings and respawn as early as in 1900. All the land will be held by someone else.

As far as the decolonisation process I feel you are right. It isn't EU that enforced decolonisation, rather the opposite. Decolonisation and peace-keeping led the europeans to form the EU. The only reason for this proposal is to balance EU against other civs.

As far as colonies of France is concerned these colonies are really small and of no importance, so it doesn't really matter. (Let's say that one-city regions, like islands with only one city and Guiana, don't count as colonies.)

3. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Deity

Okay then, so it's just a buff for the weak, rather then nerfing the strong. Still don't feel it's particularly necessary, though.

4. Royal Tenenbaum

Royal Tenenbaum Exiled

I think congresses should only vote to give a city back to its original owner. Especially no votes that concern giving a city that is foreign to a person. And no votes that give very important cities away, like voting to give England Chicago >_<

5. Leoreth

Leoreth Friend Next Door Moderator

I agree with Lone Wolf though that the simulation of European colonialism is the best reason for the Congress mechanic's continued existence. Especially with regard to Africa this is very historical.