European Wars: Danish Units from High Medieval to Late/End 19th C

I must throw in the gauntlet in name situations.

Arquebusier
Calivermen
Musketman
Flintlock (fusilier)

In what I know and read the Arquebusier is among the first (after the primitiv handgunner) and that version doesn´t use a fork. Caliver is an improved Arquebus.

The musket however is the next evolution and much heavier than the Arquebus, so the musketman will be using a fork.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caliver
I know wikipedia isn´t 100% correct but I do believe the upgrade should be arquebus, caliver, musketman and the last using the fork.

Just my two cent of comment on a BEAUTIFUL collection of units.

in the town's museum i live there are many arquebuses and none of them can be fired by holding them in the hands, they we were all used together with some tripod or the fork, and they seem to be heavy, also the size suggestes that the gunpowder was less efficient so the chamber must have been larger in order to shoot a reasonable projectile towards the target. all this examples are before 1560. also the metal wall maybe less efficient, so the walls of the pipe were thicker.

Well,
whatever weapon, the arquebus or musket, that used this fork I think one should consider the arquebusier being before the musketman.
Many pictures shows both the arquebus and the musket indeed using a fork, but most written knowledge, both from internet and books, mentioning the arquebus to be lighter than the later musket.
A clearer diffinition might be sought for, so please anyone bring up the discussion.

I read this to searching the internet

The arquebus (sometimes spelled harquebus, harkbus[1] or hackbut; from Dutch haakbus, meaning "hook gun"[2]) is an early muzzle-loaded firearm used in the 15th to 17th centuries. In distinction from its predecessor, the hand cannon, it has a matchlock. Like its successor, the musket, it is a smoothbore firearm, but it is lighter and easier to carry. It is a forerunner of the rifle and other longarm firearms.
By the later 16th century, muskets slowly began to replace the arquebus across Europe.
The arquebus was shorter and lighter,with a larger calibre and heavier bullet.

Judging by your quote, it would appear that the arquebus is lighter than the handcannon, not that it's lighter than the musket.

Top Bottom