1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Europeans - when are we looking at being able to DL?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Brichals, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Brichals

Brichals King

Just asking because it seems the US had it pretty early on tuesday(?).

Will the download unlock at midnight tonight? I don't know whether to wait up for it or not.

2. marvelharvey

marvelharvey Chieftain

According to my Steam, it'll be up in 6 hours and 25 minutes.

Edit: However, I've pre-order titles before and they can occasionally be 30-60 mins late.

3. Brichals

Brichals King

Cheers! Seems like midnight then. I couldn't find that counter in my steam but I was a bit in a rush trying to find it.

4. onslaught49

onslaught49 Chieftain

if i pre-order from steam will i only be able to start downloading at midnight?

5. Securion

Securion Civ Veteran

It says in 7 hours for me, and its 19:00 here right now. So 02:00 i guess? :cry:

6. Ravellion

Ravellion Prince

If you are in the Greece/Eastern europe time zone, yeah. CET will be able to get it at 01:00. The UK at 0:00.

7. RohirrimElf

RohirrimElf Emperor

ive been waiting for 3 days due to ed up steam. I can wait some more today. Get to bed early and hoping to play tomorrow at 7:30 Amsterdam time.

8. prince_caspian

prince_caspian Prince

Does this mean everyone (barring USA) can only download at GMT 0.00? Omg how long do AYE have to wait :cry:

9. Kimuyama

Kimuyama Prince

When on friday will GaK be released? Is it 00.00 GMT, 00.00 at the date line, 00.00 local time or 00.00 in some american time-zone?

Obviously I am planning to play the game at the stroke of midnight, when the 22nd starts, as I will be occupied drinking and eating and having (non-civilizational) fun the rest of the day, what with it being midsummer and all.

PS.
    I have pre purchased the game, and I feel it should be local time, as that's when the stores technically starts selling the game, and it's because of the f*****g darned stores that we have to wait til friday anyways

Moderator Action: Merged into a related thread.

10. janboruta

janboruta Artistriarch

I'll be definitely staying up late tonight. In Poland it will be out at 1:00 a.m. CET. Just an hour of playing... Maybe two. Maybe I won't sleep.

11. ShoGuL

ShoGuL Chieftain

I don't mean to disappoint anyone and I might be wrong, but Steam works on Pacific Time, which means that generally no matter what the 'unlock timer' says, it won't actually unlock until they go to work over there. Which usually means 6-7 PM, GMT. As excited as I am about this, and as annoyed as I am about the release delay (how hard can it be to release the same day in the EU and US? Really.) - I wouldn't wait up just for this :/

From other releases I've witnessed on Steam, odds are it won't unlock for another 20+ hours.

12. Kimuyama

Kimuyama Prince

Yay.....
    Well, since I probably won't go to sleep until 2-3 anyways I'll check steam every few hours, starting at midnight.

And pacific time is kind of mean, it's one of the latest timezones there is :/

13. Ceedub

Ceedub Chieftain

They unlocked the US version late at night here.

14. Brichals

Brichals King

Seems it should be 1am your time if steam doesn't delay. I was in Stockholm for Midsommer once, it was great!

15. Welnic

Welnic Emperor

Just to note that I had Steam on when it became unlocked, and nothing happened. I had to restart Steam and then it started downloading. In the US it unlocked at midnight CDT, which is two hours ahead of PDT.

16. Suntechnique

Suntechnique Chieftain

i hate steam

17. Esoteric Arcane

Esoteric Arcane Warlord

I hate not getting and owning the actually game from the CD i bought :) so i agree I hate steam and any like company.

18. elister

elister Chieftain

Yeah.. I don't get it what actually is benefit of buying on steam than in retail shop if it takes same much long even after doing a per-purchase and loosing interest on amount I paid to steam some few weeks back? :crazyeye: Who looses here even if someones wins on Deity as frequently as small hand hits 12 & is not in NA?

19. Esoteric Arcane

Esoteric Arcane Warlord

The problem is, even if you buy the cd, you still have to get steam to allow you to play it, point of having a cd is going away, and personally Id rather have my game ON the cd and not having to worry about having internet to play. My friend, she bought civ 5 for 60 bucks preordered it before it came out, and her new roomates and her couldnt foot the comcast bill month ago due to other things occuring, she cant play the game she OWNS since you have to go online to get it onto offline mode.

20. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

For some,STEAM can be a problem. For others, STEAM is a dream. It seems to depend upon your point of view.

I can remember having to input name of graphics or phrases from the game manual to prove I owned it. Or, the copywrite protection conflicted with some program I was running in the background. Imagine thinking you owned the game and it wouldn't run at all.

For me, STEAM is a necessary evil and we have to learn to live with it. Complaining isn't going to get you anything nor anywhere.

Hope you enjoy the game... :)