1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Europe's first pyramid?

Discussion in 'World History' started by Che Guava, Oct 28, 2005.

1. Che Guava

Che Guava The Juicy Revolutionary

I wish they could say how old it is....!

link

2. Dr. Yoshi

Dr. Yoshi Emperor of the Universe

Would certainly be interesting if found to be true. The burning question would be though who influenced whom?

3. Toteone

Toteone Deity

coooooool!

4. Xen

Xen Magister

they didnt; simply enough, just because soemone invents somthing first, and soemone else invents somthign second, NEVER means that inventor A influenced inventor B- in all likelly hood, they designs arose for similer reasons, for similer functions; a very stable design for a large building to showcase the peoples dedication to thier religion.

however, similer motives, agian, dont mean they were connected.

5. The Last Conformist

The Last Conformist Irresistibly Attractive

Egyptian pyramids are a natural development from earlier kinds of monumental tombs, so if there's an influence, it's from Egypt to Europe.

Oh, and I'd not take what Dnevni Avaz writes as gospel, necessarily.

6. TheDervish

TheDervish Scion of the Achaemenids

It would be very cool indeed if this were a missing civilization. It's still cool though.

7. Che Guava

Why, does he have a repuation of sorts?

8. deo

deo Emperor

Wow, they say 10000 years, i know there were illyrians there some 5-6000 years in today bosnia but 10 thousand!

9. Shqype

Shqype Shqyptar

That pyramid is an Illyrian pyramid and solidifies the claim that the Illyrians are the oldest people of Europe (still surviving today as the Albanians).

10. Xen

Xen Magister

here are the facts

1)Pyramids do exist in europe- in the form of step pyramid style "ziggurats". the best example of this is located in Sardinia, though mainland Italy has several examples as well

2)the word "pyramid" is a misnomer- in reality, while they have the basic pyramid shape, they can really be concidered to be, with the exception fo the Sardinia temple, to be terraced hills, reinfocred by outside stone work- in the Sardinia case, it is a fully stone monument, but it should be remembered they they came from different cultures, and did not likelly influence the development of each other.

1)the Illyrians are not the onldest people in europe, not by a long shot

2)genetically speaking most of the population of nations like Croatia, Yugoslavia, Bosnia, Slovenia, ect are still ethnically Illyrian -recent studies seem to show that the actual "slavic" population those countires is no more then about 10%

3)it should also be known that while thesepyramids occure in the areas Italic and Illyrians people (themselves related to each other) would settle, it is not conclusove evidence that they built such monuments- indeed, if they "pyramid" is as old as is claimed, it ruled them out entirelly, leaving a people more like the Basques or Etruscans to have built it.

11. Steph

Steph Multi Many Tasks man Retired Moderator

Didn't we already discuss this topic in great details three months ago?

12. Che Guava

Check the date on the OP: this is the thread...

13. Steph

Steph Multi Many Tasks man Retired Moderator

14. Che Guava

ahhh...I remember now! my mistake!

15. Bugfatty300

Bugfatty300 Buddha Squirrel

Sorry to bust everyone's bubble but this "pyramid" is just a big hill.

Anybody remember the Yonaguni Monuments or the Bimini Road? Same situation.

16. bhsup

bhsup Deity

Call me overly picky, but shouldn't they word it more like, "have confirmed the original claim that this is, to date based on all discoveries so far, Europe's first pyramid, though we certainly don't refuse to acknowledge the possibility of an older one being found someday, and a ...".

It bugs me when they word it in such absolute terms, precluding the possibility of later findings nullifying the statement.

17. Xen

Xen Magister

It is NOT europe's first "Pyramid"!!!

1)the site of Montevecchia in Italy is nearlly identical accept in size, I belive to the Bosnian claim- but it certinally is in construction in that it is actually a huge, apperentlyl reinforced earthen mound with smooth sides in a pyramid style fashion rather then a true stone pyramid- interestigm to note about the Montevecchia site, is that thier are three pyramids aligned in a similer fashion, it seems, ot the Orion constellation as the Egyptian Great Pyramids are.

2)if you want a REAL ueopean pyramid, in the classic sense of a completlyl stone structure, then you must look to sardinia, at the site of Monte d'Accodi

18. superisis

superisis His Highness' dog at Kew